Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   New to forum and kayak fishing (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=33268)

Quansters 08-02-2018 11:27 AM

New to forum and kayak fishing

Hi everyone

I’ve been lurking around the forum and other places to gather info about the sport. I got plenty of shore fishin in before but haven’t had a chance for kayak fishing. I finally got a kayak and the few crucial accessories. The last of my stuffs should be here next week and I hope everything will work out so I can get to the water. I’m in north OC so I probably start off with launcing and just fishing around Huntington harbor or newport harbor. I would love to tag along with someone to learn more and get on-hand experience.

Nice to meet you all

goldenglory18 08-02-2018 11:47 AM

Welcome to the party.

My suggestion #1 is to spend good money on a comfortable PFD. If its not comfortable dry, youll never wear it on the water.

Suggestion #2 is to learn your boat without your gear on it. Find the tipping points, figure out how to board in open water if you fall off or turtle the vessel. Maybe even play around in the surf if you have the time/space. It's best to figure these things out BEFORE you load up your precious gear....

Quansters 08-02-2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenglory18 (Post 295615)
Welcome to the party.

My suggestion #1 is to spend good money on a comfortable PFD. If its not comfortable dry, youll never wear it on the water.

Suggestion #2 is to learn your boat without your gear on it. Find the tipping points, figure out how to board in open water if you fall off or turtle the vessel. Maybe even play around in the surf if you have the time/space. It's best to figure these things out BEFORE you load up your precious gear....

Yea i bought myself a NRS chinook which is the recommendation I got. It seems comfortable enough. You are right, I should mess around without tackle first. Even for the first attempt of fishing on the kayak, I gonna bring minimal gear, my cheapest set up, pliers and a small box of soft plastic lures.

Denis_Ruso 08-03-2018 10:32 AM

Solid places to start. Not much different than surf fishing, search for structure and work different baits and depth. Harbor fishing is shallow just like from shore for the most part. Look at some google maps and work corners of everything, anything that looks like it has current running past it and would be a good ambush point for a hungry bass.

Other than that Welcome and have fun! When you get a fish finder and some experience venture outside of the harbor and look for some rockfish in the depths.

jbl_91762 08-03-2018 09:29 PM

Welcome and I usually fish NPH on Sat or Sun but not this weekend. PM me and I'd be happy to show you around although Im no expert lol. Good advice from others on here.