Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Makoville update (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=33519)

JCHAPIN 10-03-2018 10:53 AM

Makoville update

Baja tried to take out our trucks but we made it to Makoville. We left Monday at 0500 from San Diego. Along the way we got caught right in the brunt of the tropical storm. We made it just past Puertecito and then encountered a bridge that was destroyed. We had to move many big rocks from landslides along the way and finally had to turn back. We linked back up with a few other kayakers that we lost at one point and stayed in Puertecito at the local store. MakoBob and I gave it another shot today and it was rough going. At this point 4X4 is mandatory to pass all the destroyed bridges. 3.5 hours from Puertecito to Makoville. It will take one full day at least to move from San Felipe to Makoville. More info later once we get settled.

YakDout 10-03-2018 11:24 AM

that’s good you guys finally made it but a real bummer it took so long. Subscribing to thread for updates as we are coming later in October. Luckily both vehicles in our group will be 4 by.

Denis_Ruso 10-03-2018 12:16 PM

Thank you for the update! We will be coming down on Saturday with 3 4x4 trucks, probably follow your trail if its not better by then.

Zed 10-03-2018 12:22 PM

Good work.

ProfessorLongArms 10-03-2018 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCHAPIN (Post 297564)
Baja tried to take out our trucks but we made it to Makoville. We left Monday at 0500 from San Diego. Along the way we got caught right in the brunt of the tropical storm. We made it just past Puertecito and then encountered a bridge that was destroyed. We had to move many big rocks from landslides along the way and finally had to turn back. We linked back up with a few other kayakers that we lost at one point and stayed in Puertecito at the local store. MakoBob and I gave it another shot today and it was rough going. At this point 4X4 is mandatory to pass all the destroyed bridges. 3.5 hours from Puertecito to Makoville. It will take one full day at least to move from San Felipe to Makoville. More info later once we get settled.

Glad you guys made it down OK and thank you for the update. I am likely a tentative at best at this point. Will let you guys know if that changes.

Sivak 10-03-2018 01:45 PM

I just got off the phone with Mako Bob, he said it took them 8 hours to go from Puertecitos to Mako-Ville and that the roads were super bad. He is recommending anyone headed down real soon to go thru TJ and cross over at Chapala. He also said their is no power at camp, their is a problem with the charge controller.

Denis_Ruso 10-03-2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sivak (Post 297577)
I just got off the phone with Mako Bob, he said it took them 8 hours to go from Puertecitos to Mako-Ville and that the roads were super bad. He is recommending anyone headed down real soon to go thru TJ and cross over at Chapala. He also said their is no power at camp, their is a problem with the charge controller.

Since we're headed down in a few days, anything we can bring down to fix the problem?

Baja_Traveler 10-03-2018 06:22 PM

The Friends of Gonzaga Facebook group reported many bulldozers headed north today to cut bypasses around the damage. I think that by the time we head down in a few weeks it will be easily drivable, just slower due to even more dirt roads to negotiate than before. It will be just like the Baja of my youth.

I'm also sure that when Bob returns he will have a list of materials the we will need to bring down - for both the camp and the locals...

Iceman 10-04-2018 07:00 AM

days of your youth..........this was the way it was just 7 years ago:D
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...0/IMG_3520.jpg

Denis_Ruso 10-04-2018 07:34 AM

Hey all,

I'm going to be searching the internet for some answers today since we leave tomorrow night.

Trying to figure out the below.

1. Is the La Poma restaurant stocked on food? Could we eat there every night for a week?

2. How is the road going up the 5 to Gonzaga from the 1 & 5 intersection?

3. Does Gonzaga Pemex still have gas?

DavidT 10-04-2018 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso (Post 297599)
Hey all,

I'm going to be searching the internet for some answers today since we leave tomorrow night.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/today.php has a couple of threads on road conditions, etc. and somewhere in there a link to a Puertecitos facebook page.
Fair warning though: that forum often dissolves into insults and backbiting.

DavidT 10-04-2018 08:24 AM

https://www.facebook.com/groups/400767196648940/
Puertecitos page.

Denis_Ruso 10-04-2018 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidT (Post 297602)

Thanks, i’m already on both of those pages.

More looking for information which isnt already out there.

Scratch the road conditions question, we decided to do a bit of offroading. So we’ll be going down the 5. Slow and steady.

goldenglory18 10-04-2018 09:29 AM

This post really makes me want to trade in my 2x4..... :(

Hope everyone makes it down (and out) safely!

- Kenny

ProfessorLongArms 10-04-2018 09:52 AM

I’m out

No way I’ll be comfortable outfitting a setup in time.

Stay safe down there everybody! I hope to catch a trip in 2019

Denis_Ruso 10-04-2018 09:57 AM

Bummer you have to bail out. I think the biggest concern for the mid October trip is Hurricane Sergio. Forecasts are showing that in about 7-10 days there's going to be another heavy downpour.

That's my biggest worry on our drive back home next week. Fingers crossed that it wont turn towards land as forecast.

Baja_Traveler 10-04-2018 06:54 PM

Yes, Sergio could be just as bad, and it is due to hit right in the middle of the first week of the trip.
Unfortunately it is increasingly looking like I will have to miss yet another October trip, so I'll miss all the excitement.
Bad timing on the job, as my company is assigning me to a new client in the next week or so and they will not want me dissappearing as soon as I get there...

rossman 10-04-2018 07:28 PM

I think Sergio could be quite a bit worse than Rosa. All the models show it coming ashore about the same area as Rosa, but Rosa left us with some very warm water. 77 degrees here in Asuncion today, so Sergio is not going to lose intensity like Rosa did. I'm thinking he could be the real deal for my area anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler (Post 297622)
Yes, Sergio could be just as bad, and it is due to hit right in the middle of the first week of the trip.
Unfortunately it is increasingly looking like I will have to miss yet another October trip, so I'll miss all the excitement.
Bad timing on the job, as my company is assigning me to a new client in the next week or so and they will not want me dissappearing as soon as I get there...

Gr8fuldude 10-04-2018 07:39 PM

If the storm is called Sergio, wouldn't it be a "him-acane"? Sorry, I've been listening to too many jokes from my 6 year old daughter.

I was hoping to sneak down for a last minute Makoville trip but it's looking more and more unlikely with this weather. This will be the first year in many that I haven't made it down at least once to Makoville. Sad! Have fun everybody and hopefully I'll be back in 2019 with a vengeance!

Paul

Mahigeer 10-05-2018 11:35 AM

No fish is worth ruining your daily ride.

Not to mention getting stuck in the middle of desert.

Denis_Ruso 10-05-2018 12:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahigeer (Post 297638)
No fish is worth ruining your daily ride.

Not to mention getting stuck in the middle of desert.

Baja is for adventure. Haha

P.S anyone thinking of still heading down, we will be crossing at Mexicali at sun up this Saturday.

Also a report from yesterday on FB says that the backside of the 5 from the 1 is closed.

Dannowar 10-05-2018 12:32 PM

good luck bro. shoot me a report when you get back. I may head down in November when things clear up a little if anyones keen.

oceansdyaker 10-06-2018 03:54 PM

So gang

What are we looking at here? Are we leaving on the 13th, 15th? Is Bob going to be back? Are the roads destroyed beyond the point of driving it? Is the restaurant stocked with food? Are the roads being repaired or is Sergio going to rip it up again. Curious minds want to know.

Baja_Traveler 10-06-2018 07:24 PM

Well, there was a post on the Talk Baja group this morning with a bunch of pictures and videos of the drive between San Felipe and Puertecitos. It is still basically a moon scape with 90% of the road destroyed or covered up. Looks like it still would be an 8 hour drive from San Felipe, and only in a high clearance 4x4 or off road vehicle.
The road north from the 1 is closed and barricaded off because of the flood damage, essentially making the Gonzaga Bay area an island. I would expect that if you wanted anything particular from the restaurant you should probably bring the ingredients.
As of this morning Sergio is predicted to take a path further south, crossing right over Ross in Punta Abreojos and cross over to LA Bay. The Gonzaga area will get another dose of rain from it for sure.
Hate to say it, but I think this years trip will be a complete bust.

oceansdyaker 10-07-2018 04:47 AM

Oh well

I looks like it's going to be a bust. I can't see going down under those conditions. Sergio is going to turn up toward BOLA and Gonzaga is going to get hit with rain again. Sergio should hit that area right around the 13th. The NOAA maps are very accurate. I think it should be postponed until November. Hurricane season ends Nov 30th. That will give the Mex gov time to repair the roads. Your thoughts?

YakDout 10-07-2018 07:06 AM

Makoville update

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceansdyaker (Post 297655)
I looks like it's going to be a bust. I can't see going down under those conditions. Sergio is going to turn up toward BOLA and Gonzaga is going to get hit with rain again. Sergio should hit that area right around the 13th. The NOAA maps are very accurate. I think it should be postponed until November. Hurricane season ends Nov 30th. That will give the Mex gov time to repair the roads. Your thoughts?

I know I’m going for sure, as are a few of my friends. Might take a little longer to get down there. Who cares. We have four wheel drive and off-roading is fun. Worth it to get to Gonzaga for 6-7 days? Ya, no brainer. Baja or bust? I choose baja, every chance possible.

Gr8fuldude 10-07-2018 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannowar (Post 297641)
good luck bro. shoot me a report when you get back. I may head down in November when things clear up a little if anyones keen.

Hey Danny,

I may be able to head down early-mid november if the road gets cleared up, especially if there's a group going down.

Paul

rossman 10-07-2018 03:17 PM

Here is an update from some friends that are heading for Asuncion and came down Mex 5 today

So we just completed the drive from San Felipe down Mex 5. It took about four hours to get from San Felipe to Chapala. There are some definite rough spots but most of the broken roads have drive arounds. There is work coming from both ends but there is no way for a Semi or lower car to make it thru. There are a couple washed out bridges that do require driving up the wash some distance before coming back onto the road. The usual dirt portion of the road near Cocos did not seem affected by Rosa.

Dannowar 10-07-2018 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gr8fuldude (Post 297658)
Hey Danny,

I may be able to head down early-mid november if the road gets cleared up, especially if there's a group going down.

Paul

pick a date and I can do a SUN/MON/TUES/WED

YakDout 10-07-2018 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossman (Post 297661)
Here is an update from some friends that are heading for Asuncion and came down Mex 5 today

So we just completed the drive from San Felipe down Mex 5. It took about four hours to get from San Felipe to Chapala. There are some definite rough spots but most of the broken roads have drive arounds. There is work coming from both ends but there is no way for a Semi or lower car to make it thru. There are a couple washed out bridges that do require driving up the wash some distance before coming back onto the road. The usual dirt portion of the road near Cocos did not seem affected by Rosa.

Thank you. Hopefully the area doesn’t get much more rain in the next few weeks

flyfishinsteve64 10-08-2018 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 297596)
days of your youth..........this was the way it was just 7 years ago:D
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...0/IMG_3520.jpg

I miss this Baja the good ole days:mad:

makobob 10-08-2018 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceansdyaker (Post 297649)
What are we looking at here? Are we leaving on the 13th, 15th? Is Bob going to be back? Are the roads destroyed beyond the point of driving it? Is the restaurant stocked with food? Are the roads being repaired or is Sergio going to rip it up again. Curious minds want to know.

Bob is back. 13th for me. Will post soon.

makobob 10-08-2018 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyfishinsteve64 (Post 297675)
I miss this Baja the good ole days:mad:

NICE, we passed that spot from camp two days ago. ROADS are passable with 4WD. The pacific route takes 10 hours and is easily doable with a normal car. Drive from Chapala to Gonzaga was a breeze best I have ever seen it, only 16 miles off road and 6 new miles paved.

makobob 10-08-2018 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceansdyaker (Post 297655)

STAY HOME dont waste your time. Now the real deal, come down the pacific side with any car with good tires 10-11 hours from San Diego.
Go OLD SCHOOL Baja with 4WD through Mexicali. was 14 hours two days ago, Dennis Ruso's group made it. It will get better every day. SERGIO will pass SOUTH of makoville by hundreds of miles following its CURRENT track. Puertocitos got tons of rain. 35 miles away makoville might have gotten 2 inches.

Please think it through, what was fine for me driving during the height of ROSA is not the brightest thing to do. But I live my life to its fullest. Most do not. But both sides of the Baja are driveable NOW and should get better day by day.

Just do what you are comfortable with. Remember lots of folks won,t even drive in Baja. Tight Lines amigos, I leave on the 13th, still debating on which route.

oceansdyaker 10-09-2018 04:20 AM

Sergio

It looks like Sergio will be way past Baja before the 13th or 15th. It is expected to cross Baja on Thurs 11th. This looks like it may be a go. Clear sky's from there. Is it a go guys?

YakDout 10-09-2018 06:52 AM

Makoville update

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceansdyaker (Post 297699)
It looks like Sergio will be way past Baja before the 13th or 15th. It is expected to cross Baja on Thurs 11th. This looks like it may be a go. Clear sky's from there. Is it a go guys?

Yep, leaving on the 20th with my group for 7 days. Going down the 5.

Mahigeer 10-09-2018 09:13 AM

Well, getting there is one issue.

How about fishing conditions. Is it going to be a productive trip?

I have been there to sit in camp for a whole week with only three hours of kayaking at the Alfonsina's.

It was predicted that it will be windy, but I went anyways.

stevie951 10-09-2018 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahigeer (Post 297710)

How about fishing conditions. Is it going to be a productive trip?

I have been there to sit in camp for a whole week with only three hours of kayaking at the Alfonsina's.

My first time down I myself also only fished for about 5 hours or so in the week but by choice.. SO many other things to do like relax in camp, read a book, swim, talk with the boys and drink, eat at clementina's, explore the area.. To me the fishing is just a plus.

:cheers1:

oceansdyaker 10-09-2018 10:43 AM

So Bob..

What is the big groupthink on the big group trip that is going down on the 15th. The storm should be long past and it looks viable to go down and enjoy. I am leaning toward going and I'm getting my gear together for it. But, I don't really know what others are planning. Who is going? Who isn't? What groups can a person go with and back? A curious mind wants to know. So who is going down and for how long? Maybe we can start a thread going for this and start preparing for it.

makobob 10-09-2018 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gr8fuldude (Post 297658)
Hey Danny,

Paul

Paul, Asuncion with Rossman for Thanksgiving amigo. Hope to sea you there.