Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   la jolla fish finder (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=32093)

Yakkid 10-21-2017 02:17 PM

la jolla fish finder

anybody know if the dragon fly 4 is good for lajolla

alanw 10-22-2017 07:02 AM

I don't see that La Jolla has anything to do with it. Get the best fishfinder you can afford. I'd go with at least a 5" screen minimum.

jorluivil 10-22-2017 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanw (Post 287291)
I don't see that La Jolla has anything to do with it. Get the best fishfinder you can afford. I'd go with at least a 5" screen minimum.

What ^he^ said

The best fish finder for any body of water is the one you can afford.

jruiz 10-22-2017 10:59 AM

I rate it about a 6 out of 10 for La Jolla. Keep in mind that this is a guess as I never owned a dragonfly and don't really fish lj that much. On second thought, I'll change my rating to 6.5 out of 8.

Dannowar 10-23-2017 01:26 PM

Mount a Simrad Nss evo2 12" where the hobie hatch is and never look back. oh and don't forget the radar!!!

DiabloDan 10-26-2017 05:08 PM

Best Fishfinder/ GPS

ok, so i can afford $700 for a new FF/ GPS ( Lowrance Hook 4 was used and finally broke).

SO which is the better FF/ GPS for kayaking?

YakDout 10-26-2017 05:41 PM

Elite 7ti

jorluivil 10-26-2017 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiabloDan (Post 287413)
ok, so i can afford $700 for a new FF/ GPS ( Lowrance Hook 4 was used and finally broke).

SO which is the better FF/ GPS for kayaking?

Find a unit that you like and that you can afford and ask questions about that specific unit. Unless you can find someone who has owned units that are similar in size, offer some of the same features, cost close to or roughly the the same price but are different manufacturers NO ONE will be able to tell you one unit is better than the other. I can share likes and dislikes about what I own or have owned in the past but I can't tell you that my unit is better than the unit the other guy owns if I've never owned that unit.

TJones 10-27-2017 07:39 AM

I dont agree with this

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanw (Post 287291)

personally I have Never bought anything under 5", but for most kayak users some of the 4" models are perfect for kayak fishing. light weight, low power consumption, and for shallow water have more than enough water penetration power. and I forgot to mention that they are well within reach of the average weekend warriors budget.

Harry Hill 10-27-2017 07:44 AM

I have the Garmin SV 7, works great if I can figure out what I am seeing. I had some issues in the beginning with a cable that wasn't plugging in correctly but as soon as I notified Garmin they sent me a knew one, no charge.

radastaff 10-29-2017 08:31 AM

i would say the Dragonfly 5 pro is good for LJ
but with old eyes and a split screen
bigger is better

auto mode is still borked

sometimes i wish my screen was bigger vertical, rather the wider
for non split screen mode

p

da22y 10-29-2017 09:46 AM

Dragonfly 4 is allright , if you have good eyes...

I have migrated from Lowrance HDS 5 ->Lowrance Hook 5 (twice, exchanged) -> Lowrance Elite 5 Ti -> Raymarine Dragonfly 7.

I wish I can stick with Lowrance , they are fantastic machine but troublesome to me ( maybe others have better luck with it).

Raymarine is not perfect , compared to Lowrance, it lacks a lot of features.
But it is reliable to me. it does not give problems on the water .

Yes, there is no PERFECT Fishfinder....