Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Almost Flipped By A Giant Seabass (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=35375)

chris138 06-18-2020 08:59 AM

Almost Flipped By A Giant Seabass

New video up on my channel. Almost got flipped by a black on good squid bite several years back. I had the fish at leader and made a couple critical mistakes that almost caused me to flip. Luckily the rod holder broke and I was able to save the pole. Ended up getting the fish back to leader and releasing it safely.

If I didn't have both of my legs over the side of the boat balancing me in the water, I think I would've gone in the drink.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dLBYrHwRs6s" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FISH11 06-18-2020 11:02 AM

Great video, Chris. I couldn't believe at the 3:45 minute mark, how when you grabbed the broken rod holder, the rod doesn't just slide out of the broken rod holder and into the deep with no leash. I once had a 30+ lb Yellowtail catch me of guard and making a hard fast change of direction run that went straight to the left and pulled the rod right out of my left hand. As I watched the Shimano Terez rod and Avet MXL MC reel set up disappear into the water, I realized the leash was still attached. Grabbed the leash pulled the rod back in and readjusted the drag and ended up landing it. It's amazing how quick one can loose hundreds of dollars and a nice fish. Thanks for sharing.

chris138 06-18-2020 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FISH11 (Post 308188)
Great video, Chris. I couldn't believe at the 3:45 minute mark, how when you grabbed the broken rod holder, the rod doesn't just slide out of the broken rod holder and into the deep with no leash. I once had a 30+ lb Yellowtail catch me of guard and making a hard fast change of direction run that went straight to the left and pulled the rod right out of my left hand. As I watched the Shimano Terez rod and Avet MXL MC reel set up disappear into the water, I realized the leash was still attached. Grabbed the leash pulled the rod back in and readjusted the drag and ended up landing it. It's amazing how quick one can loose hundreds of dollars and a nice fish. Thanks for sharing.

Totally... it was weird. I guess I got enough angle on it to keep the rod but engaged.

Another reason why I like cheap gear haha that setup TLD 15 and UglyStik was only maybe 150$ total. Has no problem roping blacks well over 100 lbs.

Thanks for watching!

FISH11 06-18-2020 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris138 (Post 308189)
Totally... it was weird. I guess I got enough angle on it to keep the rod but engaged.

Another reason why I like cheap gear haha that setup TLD 15 and UglyStik was only maybe 150$ total. Has no problem roping blacks well over 100 lbs.

Thanks for watching!

I still got my Shimano TLD15 and also like 4 Ugly Sick Tiger's with Daiwa reels. All great gear that caught a bunch of Yellowtail. I only started using Shimano Terez and Avet reels when my Dad passes in 2016 and I inherited some money, so I splurge.

summers in kuwait 06-19-2020 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris138 (Post 308187)
New video up on my channel. Almost got flipped by a black on good squid bite several years back. I had the fish at leader and made a couple critical mistakes that almost caused me to flip. Luckily the rod holder broke and I was able to save the pole. Ended up getting the fish back to leader and releasing it safely.

If I didn't have both of my legs over the side of the boat balancing me in the water, I think I would've gone in the drink.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dLBYrHwRs6s" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh man!
Nice footage Chris!
Did it just break at the joint? No damage to the mount or gunwale?

Been there and done that. I had a big soupfin (Galeorhinus Galeus) that I pulled up years ago. Went to release and noticed I had the drag still buttoned down. Almost flipped the Revo 13 with all gear, but was able to transfer my weight and get it into freespool just before tipping. Only takes once to learn that one!

Cheers Brother!

TJones 06-19-2020 08:03 PM

Heck of save

Quick hands

Flounder 06-23-2020 12:54 PM

Clicker. Freespool. Win.

Nice catch!

SDROB 06-25-2020 08:50 PM

Dope video Chris! It would of definitely sucked to lose a setup still attached to that bass. Glad it worked out. :jig:

JohnMckroidJr 06-27-2020 05:37 AM

Nice video, well done!