Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   to carry on or check in? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=13561)

bigbarrels 05-12-2012 05:55 PM

to carry on or check in?

Has anyone had any problems bringing your reels on your carry on luggage? Seems like it would be much safer to have as a carry on item. I'm flying on Alaska Airlines and will have to give them a call but thought I would start here.

thanks in advance

bubblehide 05-12-2012 11:17 PM

Some of the airlines/checks require that the reel have NO line on it. Take pictures, and get the serial numbers in the pictures if you do check them.

Thus far, I've been forced to check my reels twice; well I did have the choice of taking the line off, and checking the line, but that's a bit difficult to do in the airport while on a time schedule.

lamb 05-13-2012 08:12 AM

I always travel with my reels with me in carry-on, spooled; never had a problem.

Just came back from trip to Panama - no problem what so ever.

Mobsan 05-13-2012 08:43 AM

Is line considered a weapon?:confused:

William Novotny 05-13-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobsan (Post 117802)

You can use it to rapel out of the plane after killing the flight crew

fishsouthcounty 05-13-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Novotny (Post 117804)
You can use it to rapel out of the plane after killing the flight crew

after you use the fishing line to strangle them of course

yakrider 05-13-2012 05:36 PM

Been doing it for years...
never had any issues...
line on all reels...
would never ever trust the yahoo baggage checkers with my reels...
especially after hearing about the luggage theft going on at LAX...

jorluivil 05-13-2012 05:41 PM

Where are you going? Have you looked into renting gear at your destination instead of carrying stuff around?

HI2CA 05-13-2012 08:43 PM

ur good to go

i've flown on alaska airlines both to and from hawaii and alaska and hand carried multiple reels without a problem. I even hand carried a bunch of big hooks, no issue.

grey zone 05-13-2012 08:45 PM

I've done it many times with no problems, most recently last August, and plan on doing it again this summer. Don't check anything valuable that you do not have to.

FishRaiden 05-13-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobsan (Post 117802)

What if the plane needs to make an emergency landing on the water? Then youre screwed amd cant fish!

Anyways, ive brought 3 reels on my carry on with Hawaiian Airlines and had no problems.

bigbarrels 05-13-2012 11:12 PM

Perfect set of responses. Thank You! Heading to East Cape this Friday and staying at Rancho Leonero for 6 days. No plans to rent gear due to fact I like to pull on fish with my own gear..........just hope my knots hold up:linesnap:

tacklebox 05-14-2012 12:19 AM

I wonder what they would do if you had a new spool a line in your bag... "You can bring the spool but take all the line off!!"

lowprofile 05-14-2012 07:53 AM

i have an abu 6600 (gold brute model) and a two piece 6'6" MH ugly stick that i used to take everywhere when i would travel. the rod broke down and i put it in a PVC tube with end caps and put my reel in my carry on back pack. took both as carry on everytime. no issues. although one time i brought a spinning outfit as well and carried the rods and put the reels in my check in. but it was by choice.

all post 9-11. mostly 2004-2007 and i did it on a flight to japan in 09.

Dave k 05-14-2012 08:30 AM

I've always checked them with no issues. Wrap each reel in a t-shirt, towel, etc for some padding, place inside a bag, inside an empty cooler. Check the bag and cooler separately on the way back.

Have fun! East Cape is such an amazing place!