Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Kayak Flotation, how much do I really need? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=29336)

alanw 06-14-2016 10:46 PM

Kayak Flotation, how much do I really need?

This is the BWE Don't Over-Think It But If You're Going To Do It At Least Do It Right version.

• Use a scale to weigh all your gear that doesn't float. My gear is 50 pounds.
  • Add the weight of your kayaks rigging. My PA14 has about 40 pounds of rigging.
  • Don't worry about your raw hull, HDPE has a slightly positive buoyancy.
  • Don't worry about specific densities and wet weights, remember this is the BWE version.
  • Calculate the buoyancy you need by dividing your gear and rigging weight by the weight of saltwater.

How much foam would Harry need?
90 lbs / 64 lbs per c.f. = 1.41 cubic feet of foam.

How many milk jugs of foam would Jorge need?
1 gallon = .134 c.f., so 1.41 / .134 = 10.52 milk jugs.

How many ping pong balls would Myth Busters need?
1 ping pong ball = .0012 c.f., so 1.41 / .0012 = 1175 ping pong balls.

How many pool noodles would I need?
Mine are 2-1/2" round x 55" long with a 7/8" hole down the middle.
1 noodle = .137 c.f., so 1.41 / .137 = 10.29 noodles.

Each of my noodles provide 8.768 lbs of buoyancy in saltwater (64 * .137).

These numbers are for neutral buoyancy, i.e. it won't float to the surface (ignoring Archimedes' principle). Add more flotation so you have positive buoyancy. A foam mfg. guide I read recommended 2:1 for a safety margin. I would use 10 of my noodles and rely on the factory installed foam blocks in my PA as my extra flotation.

Place your flotation in your hull high and to the sides for submerged stability. Place 50% of your flotation fore and 50% aft of your rigs center of gravity so that it will float level while submerged. Level floating allows you to access your safety gear, allows you to get on top of your submerged rig, and at least gives you a shot at bailing water out. You don't want to have to swim away from the Titanic.

If you want to over-think it you could start with the Flotation Requirements sections of the USCG Boatbuilder's Handbook.

Dannowar 06-14-2016 11:15 PM

I'd rather lose my kayak than try to stuff 10 noodles inside.

jorluivil 06-15-2016 04:29 AM

Where the hell am I going to find a .52 gallon milk jug?

DanaPT 06-15-2016 05:58 AM

Many of us have too much time on our hands.

Good info...but I'm gonna take less stuff out on the water.

Harry Hill 06-15-2016 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanw (Post 263401)
This is the BWE Don't Over-Think It But If You're Going To Do It At Least Do It Right version.

• Use a scale to weigh all your gear that doesn't float. My gear is 50 pounds.
  • Add the weight of your kayaks rigging. My PA14 has about 40 pounds of rigging.
  • Don't worry about your raw hull, HDPE has a slightly positive buoyancy.
  • Don't worry about specific densities and wet weights, remember this is the BWE version.
  • Calculate the buoyancy you need by dividing your gear and rigging weight by the weight of saltwater.

How much foam would Harry need?
90 lbs / 64 lbs per c.f. = 1.41 cubic feet of foam.

How many milk jugs of foam would Jorge need?
1 gallon = .134 c.f., so 1.41 / .134 = 10.52 milk jugs.

How many ping pong balls would Myth Busters need?
1 ping pong ball = .0012 c.f., so 1.41 / .0012 = 1175 ping pong balls.

How many pool noodles would I need?
Mine are 2-1/2" round x 55" long with a 7/8" hole down the middle.
1 noodle = .137 c.f., so 1.41 / .137 = 10.29 noodles.

Each of my noodles provide 8.768 lbs of buoyancy in saltwater (64 * .137).

These numbers are for neutral buoyancy, i.e. it won't float to the surface (ignoring Archimedes' principle). Add more flotation so you have positive buoyancy. A foam mfg. guide I read recommended 2:1 for a safety margin. I would use 10 of my noodles and rely on the factory installed foam blocks in my PA as my extra flotation.

Place your flotation in your hull high and to the sides for submerged stability. Place 50% of your flotation fore and 50% aft of your rigs center of gravity so that it will float level while submerged. Level floating allows you to access your safety gear, allows you to get on top of your submerged rig, and at least gives you a shot at bailing water out. You don't want to have to swim away from the Titanic.

If you want to over-think it you could start with the Flotation Requirements sections of the USCG Boatbuilder's Handbook.

is that the 2lb foam? Who wants to add another 94 lbs of weight? I can't pick the damn thing up now. I guess I'll just keep wearing my PFD

YakDout 06-15-2016 09:20 AM

You should just stuff you hull with pfds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pingpangdang 06-15-2016 11:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think two of these will workAttachment 19392

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

vincentek9 06-15-2016 12:01 PM

this could be useful information for some. I had to save a kayaker and his son 2 weeks ago in san pedro when their kayak was completely water-logged. good thing they had PFDs and the guy had his stuff strapped and tied together. even his phone and wallet were okay.

jorluivil 06-15-2016 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincentek9 (Post 263435)
this could be useful information for some. I had to save a kayaker and his son 2 weeks ago in san pedro when their kayak was completely water-logged. good thing they had PFDs and the guy had his stuff strapped and tied together. even his phone and wallet were okay.

Really?!

What happened exactly?

jruiz 06-15-2016 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 263438)
Really?!

What happened exactly?

And did you happen to get it on video? Even a crude caricature would do

wiredantz 06-15-2016 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincentek9 (Post 263435)

This information needs to be kept confidential.! All the video needs to be kept secretly hidden from Tony.!

and GEORGE!!!!!

radastaff 06-15-2016 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannowar (Post 263402)
I'd rather lose my kayak than try to stuff 10 noodles inside.

Rather fond on my yak
took about 10 min if I recall correctly
got about 17 inside
with room for 4 rods and other crap still

Even if just for better visibility
when problems arise
or desend

P

RedSledTeam 06-15-2016 02:02 PM

outrigger coolers

Frank, Here you go. This was designed just for you.... http://wingmanoutfitter.com/ :farmer:

wiredantz 06-15-2016 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSledTeam (Post 263445)
Frank, Here you go. This was designed just for you.... http://wingmanoutfitter.com/ :farmer:

i would sink that 2!

Quote:

Originally Posted by radastaff (Post 263444)
Rather fond on my yak
took about 10 min if I recall correctly
got about 17 inside
with room for 4 rods and other crap still

Even if just for better visibility
when problems arise
or desend

P

Hey Paul, I should of thought about this better, i only had 5 noodles in my kayak, going to 99 center later

cabojohn 06-15-2016 02:52 PM

Who has room for pool noodles when that space should be used for extra beer & ice!
You guys have it all wrong.:rolleyes:
Have PFD, VHF & hand pump...
I'd sink the yak too.
Cheers. :cheers1:

Harry Hill 06-15-2016 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabojohn (Post 263451)
Who has room for pool noodles when that space should be used for extra beer & ice!
I'd sink the yak too.

this guy is onto something, instead of noodles you could stuff the hull full of cheetos in the bag, they will stay dry and keep you floating until you open a bag, and the beer has neutral buoyancy so that would help. We can carry our salvation with us and still snack and drink our own rescue

radastaff 06-17-2016 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabojohn (Post 263451)
I'd sink the yak too.

Beer cozy's make good floatation
at least your open beer will stay safe

radastaff 06-17-2016 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiredantz (Post 263446)
Hey Paul, I should of thought about this better, i only had 5 noodles in my kayak, going to 99 center later

don't forget front and back.

I haven't tested mine fully waterlogged
but my guess is it prob wont be paddle able

but will provide better vis for rescue, and keep it from going down with gear,
and the kitchen sink I always bring

don't forget the swim fins

I like the example of the whale pump mounted externally
When you need to pump out from the hatch, its also the place where water wants to get in.
The last thing I want to do in choppy waters is mess around with my hatch open.