Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Sunshine and Fog (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=35576)

bubbacee7 08-01-2020 04:24 PM

Sunshine and Fog

5 Attachment(s)
Hey Fishing Family. Fishinmike and I got out today at sunrise. Launched from Shelter Island Wading Beach at sunrise. Was a nice morning. Slight breeze cool water but not cold. Lots of yakers and tuna hunters. Today’s goal was to find the Sandie hole. Trolled a croc and a grub from beach to anchorage and pier. Snagged a catfish morsel. Fishinmike went straight across to NASNI side. Got around the south anchorage and started casting my weapons of choice. Worked the area on the drift. Got a lazy tail bite or two. PATIENCE. Paid off as I caught my first Sandie. Kept working back and forth as the current flowed well. Sun up and warming. About 820 a huge fog bank rolled in and the breeze blew stronger. Now I was being pushed into the pier instead of past it. Stayed foggy, breezy and moist for about 2 hours. Only caught a mack during this time. Light colored lures were no good. Sun came back out and so did the bite.

Fishinmike scored 4-5 along NASNI.

Fishinmike: 1 Hali, 4 sandies, 7 spotties

Bubbacee: 4 Sandies, 1 spottie, 2 catfish morsels.

I included a picture of what worked well for me. Recommend ghostie and dark green. Be prepared for the rolling fog. Be safe.

Newguyhere 08-01-2020 08:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Awesome! I launched from smugglers cove on the naval base. I picked up bait from the bait barge but fishing seemed to be really slow today. I drifted around the bait barge with live bait on the bottom and throwing lures with nothing. Drifted around zuniga jetty on both sides with nothing. I foul hooked a small halibut on a coltsniper. Caught one barred Sand Bass on the sniper. And we headed back to smugglers cove. Once inside the cove I passed over a little hump with a mark on top of it and I dropped a sardine down and was almost instantly bit. Minutes later pulled up a 23.5 inch halibut.

Newguyhere 08-01-2020 08:30 PM

Right after pulling this guy in the boat, the naval boat pulled in to the cove and informed us fishing is no longer allowed inside the cove. Bummer

bubbacee7 08-01-2020 10:07 PM

Nice catch on a tough day. Some time naval security in strict other time no where to be found.

Southwest Kayak Fishing 08-02-2020 05:31 PM

Nice catches guys!

Newguyhere 08-02-2020 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbacee7 (Post 309671)
Nice catch on a tough day. Some time naval security in strict other time no where to be found.

Yesterday was tough. I'm guessing it has to do with the drop in water temperature. I noticed it was anywhere between 57-60 degrees all day. Last time I saw those temperatures was in the winter.

Naval security has never said anything about fishing inside the cove before. It's usually where I launch from if I'm fishing San Diego bay and I'll always start fishing in there for a little bit. Family's will hang out on the beach and fish, but now I guess there's signs that say no fishing.