Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Technology (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=33435)

NavionicsSpecJason 09-13-2018 12:34 PM

Technology

Question to the forum. Do you think technology (fish finders, GPS, mapping software like Navionics, the internet) has helped or hurt the sport of fishing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WestFork 09-13-2018 01:37 PM

I'd like to see some facts, not opinions, including my own. I do think it's a fact that technology has dramatically increased the efficiency of commercial fishing and that has reduced the success rate and, through shortened seasons, the opportunity for sport anglers. The latter spend more and harvest less in their quest for a better quality of life. :-)

Denis_Ruso 09-13-2018 01:56 PM

This is an extremely open question, there is no right answer here just different perspectives.

Technology like GPS has increased safety for navigation - I know mine has saved my butt in the fog several times. Which I only see as a positive, tracking drift, travel speed marking waypoints.

As far as mapping software, fish finders, reels/rods it just depends on what lens you look at it through. Keeping fishing a sport and giving the fish a fighting chance you draw a personal ethical line at which point you have too much of an advantage. I personally grew up with this technology but there will always be some that consider the technology of today an unfair advantage and taking the sport out of sport fishing. But I think rod/reel technology has made fishing much more accessible to the novice.

The other part is the internet has made fishing much more popular and that again a grey area. It's great because more people share our passion but its also not because offshore fishing etiquette has gone out the window with the amount of weekend warriors you have on the water. The fish have more pressure and it's becoming more of trophy culture. Spots getting overfished and overcrowded. But at the same time the popularity is generating more money being spent in the private/sport fishing industry which in turn gives us more voting power because money=power in capitalism.

To sum it up in my opinion it is both helping and hurting. Technology makes the experience easier but the things you are most proud of in your life were never easy. I mean part of the reason we get on the water is to get away from it all and not stare at a screen right? So although I use the benefits of technology myself to improve my odds, I find myself getting more fulfilment from taking back it to the basics and simplifying my gear.

NavionicsSpecJason 09-13-2018 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WestFork (Post 296928)
I'd like to see some facts, not opinions, including my own. I do think it's a fact that technology has dramatically increased the efficiency of commercial fishing and that has reduced the success rate and, through shortened seasons, the opportunity for sport anglers. The latter spend more and harvest less in their quest for a better quality of life. :-)

I believe it makes smart anglers smarter. I know in my personal experience, it has helped me be more successful and I don’t consider myself all that smart. I think when used properly, things like depth finders, Navionics, better fishing gear, etc. has improved the sport. Thank you for the input!

makobob 09-13-2018 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NavionicsSpecJason (Post 296931)
I believe it makes smart anglers smarter. I know in my personal experience, it has helped me be more successful and I don’t consider myself all that smart. I think when used properly, things like depth finders, Navionics, better fishing gear, etc. has improved the sport. Thank you for the input!

All true what I like MOST about fishing is that the fish has the final say as to weather on knot he bites, and what he bites. Tight Lines amigos.

NavionicsSpecJason 09-13-2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makobob (Post 296932)
All true what I like MOST about fishing is that the fish has the final say as to weather on knot he bites, and what he bites. Tight Lines amigos.

Truth! You can do everything right on your end, but they still have to bite, you’ve gotta set the hook and get them in the boat

MITCHELL 09-14-2018 06:38 AM

Helped.....

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink:doh:

makobob 09-14-2018 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITCHELL (Post 296943)
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink:doh:

You can lead a fisherman to a great fishing location (Baja, mako-ville), You can mentor him, give him all the tools but you cannot catch the fish for him.

MITCHELL 09-14-2018 07:34 AM

Last time I was in gonzaga was in 1978 I looked like this....

3 Attachment(s)
My girlfriends parents flew me in, in a 6seater Cherokee
Landed on the beach
She took these pictures :cheers1:

MITCHELL 09-14-2018 07:56 AM

And today im seating in post opp....

Waiting for surgery hernia

stevie951 09-14-2018 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makobob (Post 296945)
You can lead a fisherman to a great fishing location (Baja, mako-ville), You can mentor him, give him all the tools but you cannot catch the fish for him.

Still have not caught the elusive cabrilla or rooster.. Trigger, sure dozens while I was down! :P Time for sure, hopefully this year! :cheers1:

makobob 09-14-2018 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevie951 (Post 296957)
Still have not caught the elusive cabrilla or rooster.. Trigger, sure dozens while I was down! :P Time for sure, hopefully this year! :cheers1:

The time is now through November amigo.

Mr. NiceGuy 09-14-2018 07:22 PM

"Fish, I love you and respect you very much. But I will kill you dead before this day ends."

NavionicsSpecJason 09-17-2018 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy (Post 296971)
"Fish, I love you and respect you very much. But I will kill you dead before this day ends."

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]