Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Bug time be careful... (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=30060)

driftwood 09-29-2016 06:01 PM

Bug time be careful...

Lobster season starts at midnight tomorrow. And every year people die for getting to close the waves. Be careful out there!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsbSDMVfgn8

ctfphoto 09-30-2016 07:00 AM

Every Year people DIE diving for lobster. It's just a bug.

That said Kayak Hooping seems easy.

Time for a mid day nap .......

tacmik 09-30-2016 03:47 PM

Hate going out opening weekend. Everybody and their brother is out there and most have been drinking while waiting for the season to start.

Yak Daddy 10-02-2016 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacmik (Post 269895)
Hate going out opening weekend. Everybody and their brother is out there and most have been drinking while waiting for the season to start.

MB was packed. More than Ive ever seen. Some dipchit dove my hoop nets right in front of me. I was in the water diving too!

HELLSTER INC. 10-02-2016 05:31 PM

Hit the the oil islands long beach last night 4 keepers,tossed back at least 10 that should be legal next molt!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wyota 10-02-2016 07:48 PM

quiet part

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yak Daddy (Post 269960)
MB was packed. More than Ive ever seen. Some dipchit dove my hoop nets right in front of me. I was in the water diving too!

I went out of dana point and it was empty except some idiots dropping hoops in the center of the channel instead of keeping to the sides. Went outside the bay on scuba and only start hooping after commercial guys clean out all the legals outside the bay

Got 3 keepers on scuba and whiffed in a few more. Good start to the season

Chuck D 10-03-2016 06:56 AM

Went out opener knowing that I can't stand the crowds, but willing to deal. Went out early to claim my spot. Had to call the cops on a 30 foot boat, 8 dudes that were drinking, set on top of me, threatened to run me over, kick my ass and made multiple attempts to bully me on the water with his boat. Cops gave him a warning, over opening night. It always seems to be too much drama, this will be my last. Managed one bug before 10 other boats laid down on top of me, over it. Be safe out there...

ful-rac 10-03-2016 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck D (Post 269974)
Went out opener knowing that I can't stand the crowds, but willing to deal. Went out early to claim my spot. Had to call the cops on a 30 foot boat, 8 dudes that were drinking, set on top of me, threatened to run me over, kick my ass and made multiple attempts to bully me on the water with his boat. Cops gave him a warning, over opening night. It always seems to be too much drama, this will be my last. Managed one bug before 10 other boats laid down on top of me, over it. Be safe out there...

That's a bummer Chuck...It was Busy and Crowded in my neighborhood this weekend, If you were lucky enough to get something before the fleet dropped on top of you and or the divers rolled thru your gear, you were lucky! On another note DFG was busy busting guys up here, lots of tickets written.

Make sure you guys that are new to hooping, you have all of your paperwork in order! Make sure that you fill out your card before you leave the dock and make sure you finish filling it out before you get back to the dock! And watch out for hitchhikers!

Yak Daddy 10-03-2016 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck D (Post 269974)

Damn man! I would've done the same! Freakin morons out there... I went out off the point in LJ today. Came out with a keeper. Ever want to go freedive let me know.

Phishphood 10-03-2016 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yak Daddy (Post 270027)
Damn man! I would've done the same! Freakin morons out there... I went out off the point in LJ today. Came out with a keeper. Ever want to go freedive let me know.

Nice! You hit it during daylight hours?

Yak Daddy 10-04-2016 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phishphood (Post 270036)
Nice! You hit it during daylight hours?

Yep. Was a bit choppy & surgy but vis was good. Tomorrow supposed to pick up a lil more, but Ill be out there again probably.

DanaPT 10-04-2016 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyota (Post 269965)
I went out of dana point and it was empty except some idiots dropping hoops in the center of the channel instead of keeping to the sides. Went outside the bay on scuba and only start hooping after commercial guys clean out all the legals outside the bay

Got 3 keepers on scuba and whiffed in a few more. Good start to the season

ALso at dana. Very quiet until 12 then the boaters showed. It was rough. seas rolling. surf banging. water had foam and was murky. Never caught so many eels in my life. nasty critters. 3 traps moved into the rocks, 1 stayed behind. First pull at 1225 yielded 2 bugs nada after that.

Fish and game checked in on me after "i almost died" retrieving a net in the rocks. He said he saw my heroic net rescue. He also asked for license and wanted to measure my bugs. He made me throw one back said it was "negligibly not legal". I shined the light between the carapace and gauge and there was no gap or vertical movement. He measured I measured, HIS CONTENTION was the gauge was sliding left to right and shouldn't do that.

Back to the ocean for the next guy's stoke. The Warden didn't give me a ticket. I wasn't quite sure what to make of this. :the_finger: I guess I'm lucky I didn't get shot. So all is good.

Wyota 10-04-2016 07:26 PM

No ticket=good

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaPT (Post 270078)
ALso at dana. Very quiet until 12 then the boaters showed. It was rough. seas rolling. surf banging. water had foam and was murky. Never caught so many eels in my life. nasty critters. 3 traps moved into the rocks, 1 stayed behind. First pull at 1225 yielded 2 bugs nada after that.

Fish and game checked in on me after "i almost died" retrieving a net in the rocks. He said he saw my heroic net rescue. He also asked for license and wanted to measure my bugs. He made me throw one back said it was "negligibly not legal". I shined the light between the carapace and gauge and there was no gap or vertical movement. He measured I measured, HIS CONTENTION was the gauge was sliding left to right and shouldn't do that.

Back to the ocean for the next guy's stoke. The Warden didn't give me a ticket. I wasn't quite sure what to make of this. :the_finger: I guess I'm lucky I didn't get shot. So all is good.

Awesome that you didn't get a ticket. Had a guy with us who has received tickets in the past for "clicker". Basically, the DFG guy would push down real hard on gauge, and if would then crack and squeeze over the carapace, even not moving at all, then it was "illegal" and he had to pay 500 bucks.

Mahigeer 10-04-2016 07:46 PM

I have heard of using a file to make the gage slightly wider than manufacturer.

That way there is no question that the bug is legal.

If you notice the warden will use their own gauge to measure, and not yours.

Even though you bought the gauge pre-made, you are responsible for its accuracy.

Seems like a good warden.

Did you get his name.

east county dirtbag 10-04-2016 08:01 PM

Looks like carrying a micrometer is a good way to protect oneself from government abuse. A ruler does not lie like a government official

ful-rac 10-04-2016 08:04 PM

If your gauge hooks, throw it back. I promise you'll catch another one.

Saba Slayer 10-05-2016 07:18 AM

Gauges

"If you notice the warden will use their own gauge to measure, and not yours.

Not always true...Here is a photo of a warden using my gauge to measure the evenings catch. Once he saw my gauge he didn’t hesitate to use it.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall.../IMG_65662.jpg

I have back-up gauges made by Promar in the event some one looses a gauge...but my primary measuring gauge is made by Top-Me in Maine...recently Lobster Port in Oceanside started selling their own knockoff of the Top-Me gauge and it's a really good product. It’s well made of a nice thick stainless stock and has a handle off to one side. I picked up one at my seminar that I did in their shop and I’ll be using it this season.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall.../IMG_65501.jpg

This is a very true statement and you should all be aware of this..."Even though you bought the gauge pre-made, you are responsible for its accuracy."

alanw 10-05-2016 01:54 PM

Am I the only one that doesn't eat those trash eating water insects? :eek:

Harry Hill 10-05-2016 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanw (Post 270143)
Am I the only one that doesn't eat those trash eating water insects? :eek:

my wife doesn't eat lobster or crab, it makes me sad that I have to eat everything myself

HELLSTER INC. 10-05-2016 07:19 PM

I feel so sorry for you Harry, I'm just down the road in banning if you need some help eating it! Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk