Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   La Jolla Report: 8/02 - Not what I was looking for... (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=31647)

jlabs63 08-03-2017 08:32 AM

La Jolla Report: 8/02 - Not what I was looking for...

2 Attachment(s)
I had a Dr. appointment, so I didn't get on the water until 8:45-9:00. The fishfinder showed a water temp of 76 (we should be fishing for yellowfin), but was still green and merky with loose kelp and grass everywhere. I marked a bunch of bait, but couldn't get any to bite.

So, I figured I would try out these Hookup Baits over by the kelp and they did not disappoint. There was tons of bait and seal activity close to the beach. I was in about 20 feet of water and got absolutely hammered. It dragged me into the kelp, but I could still feel the head shakes, so I thought it was a yellowtail. Finally broke him loose and reeled in the biggest calico that Ive ever seen. I was going to release it, but I remembered somebody telling me the world record calico was about 25 inches, so I kept it.

This one was just under 25", but only weighted 8.5# on the bathroom scale. The smaller one, which inhaled the jig so I had to keep him, was 15".

Ive never spent any time fishing for bass, but those jigs live up to the hype.

Dannowar 08-03-2017 08:37 AM

What a toad. Nice work

MITCHELL 08-03-2017 08:38 AM

Nice toad...

Beer batter cornflake cajon deep fryed, Paula Deen tarter sauce recipe would be my choice...

MITCHELL 08-03-2017 09:02 AM

We must have been typing at the same

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannowar (Post 283772)
What a toad. Nice work

Time....a toad is a toad

FullFlavorPike 08-03-2017 10:11 AM

that is one fatty checkerboard

Mr. NiceGuy 08-03-2017 01:57 PM

Is the flavor of Calico bass great, good, so-so, or "meh"?

What's the general consensus?

I had stripped bass at a restaurant in La Jolla that was fantastic - snowy white and amazing savory crispy skin.

I've had other kinds of bass that were not very good.

I don't care for the sticky sweet flavor of rock fish.

What say Ye?

FullFlavorPike 08-03-2017 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy (Post 283797)

Great!

GTboosted 08-03-2017 04:43 PM

Dude nice one! That is a fatty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy (Post 283797)

What's the general consensus?

I had stripped bass at a restaurant in La Jolla that was fantastic - snowy white and amazing savory crispy skin.

I've had other kinds of bass that were not very good.

I don't care for the sticky sweet flavor of rock fish.

What say Ye?

Calico taste SO good. Maybe its best that you don't try em. They are slow growers.

I have always caught them as bycatch when using live bait, but always threw them back in. Just this past month, my sister's bf wondered why I didn't keep them. So I kept the last two of the day. Man they tasted so good that I bought some gear to start targeting them. I did bleed and iced them down instantly though.

If I do start getting them on the regular my plan is to throw the big breeders back and only keep a couple small ones(legal sized). Oh and they are a lot better than rockfish ...at least to me and my gf.

goldenglory18 08-04-2017 05:57 AM

A 2'+ bass is an awesome catch, regardless of species.

In AZ, there was a Game and Fish option for record keeping with a picture. Does CA not have anything like that? I think there are at least one or two AZ records (Red Ear Sunfish and possibly Large Mouth Bass) that have been documented via CPR with the thought the fish are still alive and well.....

blitzburgh 08-04-2017 07:04 AM

Jeebuss that's a toad! :cheers1:

Dingokevin 08-04-2017 08:15 AM

Yup would of been nice to document with a picture and let the big girl go

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Aaron&Julie 08-04-2017 08:04 PM

Awesome man!!! When my day doesn't work according to plans, with those results, who's to complain!