Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Promotional Staffs (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=18762)

Jimmyz123 07-07-2013 07:14 AM

Promotional Staffs

A Promotional Staff member is basically someone who gets discounts on products for advertising them, using them, and doing all they can to help sell them. I think the Pro Staff or what many companies are going to now, Product Ambassadors, is a great thing for those who wish to support and promote a company or product, but I recommend promoting a product that you know well, and that you have used, and you know the staff or company well. Had I done my homework like I should have, I would not have accepted the Pro Staff offer.

I learned a major lesson from joining a Pro Staff, it's not for everyone and it's not what everyone thinks they are. I will be the first to admit that I am no "Pro fisherman" I still have a lot to learn. Now, Wade, Jim Sammons, Darkhorse, and many others on this board and OEX are Pros and they are worth ever penny to support.

Sure the discounts are nice, but if it means lowering yourself, or sacrificing who you are and what you believe to be on a Pro Staff, then that's when it does not become worth it.

Do your Homework as you would if you were applying for a job.

Tight lines and Best Fishes to you all.

DanaPT 07-07-2013 08:47 AM

does this mean your getting a hobie?

Jimmyz123 07-07-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaPT (Post 162597)
does this mean your getting a hobie?

Let's say this, I'm opening minded, but I will be saving up for a new ride. I still have an Ocean Kayak Prowler 15 to use while I do so. I'll be back on the water very soon.

makobob 07-07-2013 10:10 AM

Well said Jimmy! God bless.

El Vato 07-07-2013 01:14 PM

Another thread about this? If you feel so strongly, and have convictions, why don't you return the moken to feel free, instead of trying to sell it, and profit?

¡Hijo de la chingada!

:you_rock:

Siebler 07-07-2013 01:17 PM

Di spite most peoples beliefs 90%+ of kayak pro staff members do PAY for their boats. I happen to know this is the case for the FeelFree guys including Jimmy so I dont blame him for selling it.

bus kid 07-07-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Vato (Post 162622)
Another thread about this? If you feel so strongly, and have convictions, why don't you return the moken to feel free, instead of trying to sell it, and profit?

¡Hijo de la chingada!

:you_rock:

Still hanging with roundeye?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siebler (Post 162623)
Di spite most peoples beliefs 90%+ of kayak pro staff members do PAY for their boats. I happen to know this is the case for the FeelFree guys including Jimmy so I dont blame him for selling it.

Well said.

El Vato 07-07-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bus kid (Post 162628)
Still hanging with roundeye?

who the hell is roundeye? Just because I said something, an opinion if you will contrary of your girlfriend here, I am "hanging with someone?"

username Siebler cleared it up, he didn't get a free kayak, my guess is that he paid way less than $950, and is still making a profit. Hey its a free country, good luck with that sale. :D

Tomorrow I am fishing J street Plastic navy.com style, anyone want to go?

bellcon 07-07-2013 05:15 PM

Jimmy,
You have always been one of the "nice" guys.
But bashing a company, its products and staff after a couple months of trying to sell us on how great they are is bad form in my book.
(some may say chicken shit... I will stick with bad form)

I am sure any company that puts you on their "Team" would much rather have any and all negative issues dealt with in house. I could care less about the internal bickering, none of our business, not sure why you felt the need to post that information on a public forum.
As far as the leak, looks like a simple fix. And it sounds like Feel Free is addressing it. ALL kayaks have some type of issue and room for improvement. And I am guessing they would want their pro staff to help in this regard.

Props for your convictions, but posting them on BWE takes away some of the shine.

PS
Personally I don't really need the discounts, but would whore myself out in a minute to be on a "Pro-Staff".:D
Are you listening OEX?
Hobie? Ocean? Seeker? Daiwa? Owner? Seaguar? Lowrance? Kokatat? Sumo? Tady? Hodgman? Humminbird? Berkley Big Game? Power Pro? Spro? MegaBaits?:wavey:
I think that about covers the companies I throw silly amounts of money at to play this game. (except for all those plastics, lures and terminal tackle)
Oh and Buff can't forget the Buff, Maybe I need to have a beer and chat with my buddy Wade, That man seems to have this stuff down to a science.

ful-rac 07-07-2013 05:59 PM

Hey don you didnt forget your on team sewer pro staff right?

bellcon 07-07-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 162662)
Hey don you didnt forget your on team sewer pro staff right?

Golly Gee REALLY? My application was finally approved?
:embarassed:
PM sent... You made my day!:)

Drake 07-07-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellcon (Post 162663)
Golly Gee REALLY? My application was finally approved?
:embarassed:
PM sent... You made my day!:)

Read the fine print first Donzo, there are "acceptance terms"...being in the middle of a Team Sewer Sandwhich sounds fun at first...but Tony and Frank don't exactly make the best pieces of bread...I would hate to be the meat between those bad boys :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

FlyFishinYakr 07-07-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellcon (Post 162660)
Jimmy,
You have always been one of the "nice" guys.
But bashing a company, its products and staff after a couple months of trying to sell us on how great they are is bad form in my book.
(some may say chicken shit... I will stick with bad form)

I am sure any company that puts you on their "Team" would much rather have any and all negative issues dealt with in house. I could care less about the internal bickering, none of our business, not sure why you felt the need to post that information on a public forum.
As far as the leak, looks like a simple fix. And it sounds like Feel Free is addressing it. ALL kayaks have some type of issue and room for improvement. And I am guessing they would want their pro staff to help in this regard.

Props for your convictions, but posting them on BWE takes away some of the shine.

PS
Personally I don't really need the discounts, but would whore myself out in a minute to be on a "Pro-Staff".:D
Are you listening OEX?
Hobie? Ocean? Seeker? Daiwa? Owner? Seaguar? Lowrance? Kokatat? Sumo? Tady? Hodgman? Humminbird? Berkley Big Game? Power Pro? Spro? MegaBaits?:wavey:
I think that about covers the companies I throw silly amounts of money at to play this game. (except for all those plastics, lures and terminal tackle)
Oh and Buff can't forget the Buff, Maybe I need to have a beer and chat with my buddy Wade, That man seems to have this stuff down to a science.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, but it's seems to me that Jimmy didn't seem to "air out" the all issues that he's dealing with or other issues he has knowledge of. Even you seem to think the leak is a simple fix, but didn't note it is a serious safety issue. This could come down to the financial issue of repair/retrofit cost. I could see a scenario where the general counsel would say "that"s what we have insurance for". In the meantime many kayaker's could be at risk!
As one who can relate, it's somewhat akin to Political advisors, car salesman, medical/drug representatives and stock broker/dealers (the last I'm very familiar with). :the_finger:
I applaud :luxhello: Jimmy for Publicly announcing his departure as a "Team Member". I use this quoted post as an example of the grief I'm sure he weighed before making this public. :(
In a way, I believe he's doing a public service for those who may be in the market for a kayak but don't know where to start or what to think about the various models out there. :notworthy:
It seems to me that unlike HOBIE, Ocean Kayak and Malibu kayaks, Mokken doesn't seem to take their reputation or interest/input from customers and their reps seriously. :confused:
As a long time member (and even longer "Lurker") I value Jimmy's insights as long time member and experienced kayak fisherman. Up until recently, I was thinking about another Kayak even though I have a "Brand new" Outback that I haven't even "broken in" yet. Obviously the next one won't be a Mokken!
Bravo Jimmy for your bravery and willingness to tolerate this kind of abuse.
Respectfully,
FFY

StinkyMatt 07-07-2013 07:43 PM

This is how you leave a company:

"I am no longer a pro staffer for company X."

The end.

Jimmyz123 07-07-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siebler (Post 162623)

Exactly I'm not profiting on the boat at all, I will be breaking even.

Roundeye 07-07-2013 08:55 PM

Jimmy, Jimmie, Jim, I am a bit confused

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 (Post 162685)
Exactly I'm not profiting on the boat at all, I will be breaking even.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 (Post 162689)
I'm actually loosing money on this deal

makobob 07-07-2013 09:00 PM

You might have been born that way?

Jimmyz123 07-07-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roundeye (Post 162696)
Jimmy, Jimmie, Jim, I am a bit confused

I'm breaking even because I still have a Kayak other than this one to use, financially I'm losing money with all that I had to install on it for the company, none of it was free. Sure some of it was discounted, but not as much as you may think. The only thing I got free from any of it was a shirt, hat, and some stickers, everything else I still have to pay for.

skrilla 07-07-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StinkyMatt (Post 162675)
This is how you leave a company:

"I am no longer a pro staffer for company X."

The end.

This. Clean cut and done. Any further details should be shared over a couple of beers. ;)

Nic D 07-08-2013 04:48 AM

What I see is a bunch of people sharing their opinions, so I'll add mine even Though you know what opinions are like....Being a sponsored fisherman, I don't really have a problem with Jimmy's post. That's his decision and his decision only. If he feels that strongly to share what happened, that's his deal. Not a thing wrong with it.

I would say this to jimmy, think big picture bud. In six months or a year down the road if your potential sponsor sees this thread, what kind of an impact will it have on that sponsorship? Everything you do as a sponsored angler is watched by someone, or someone that knows someone... You get the point. Always have to be thinking big picture.

I too left a sponsorship this year. I chose the other route and didnt say a thing, but if people ask I do tell them what happened and why I made the choice. Does it make me better nope, just different.

Tight lines- T minus 2 days before a 5 day to Cedros Island