Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Kayaker rescue La Jolla (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=27550)

bolocop 11-04-2015 02:40 PM

Kayaker rescue La Jolla

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...la-jolla-cove/

5-6 foot swells today...

momo fish 11-04-2015 02:48 PM

Had all the safety equipment needed in case of situation like this but missed the best safety equipment.. Weather report 😳

It's been nasty out the last few days..

Goose1993 11-04-2015 02:57 PM

Half a mile offshore? And they didn't just swim in?

They had to have been farther off...

Deamon 11-04-2015 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goose1993 (Post 246614)
Half a mile offshore? And they didn't just swim in? They had to have been farther off...

Kind of a bull shit comment right there. If anything, question their decision to go out but that's it.

Sounds like a tandem. If so, multiply the challenges of two peeps climbing back on in rough water. These people probably had some clothes on, water a bit on the chilly side, winds, lost some gear or had it all hung up and dangling. MUCH BETTER to make the call sooner than later. I'm thinking you probably don't have much experience with LJ's current...

Jim

ful-rac 11-04-2015 03:24 PM

What a hater!

Jim Sammons LJKF 11-04-2015 03:37 PM

Small craft advisory today, why would you even go out. There is always another day to go out. We see a lot of people get in trouble because they get out in conditions where they overestimate their abilities and underestimate they power of the ocean.
Good to hear they had on PFD's and had safety gear at least.

momo fish 11-04-2015 03:45 PM

Kayaker rescue La Jolla

The worst weather and condition I have ever been out in was in LJ (right John & Jemie!!) and the best condition I have ever been out in has been LJ... That should should tell you a lot about LJ and how conditions can change..

That being said, I don't understand why take the risk but I'm sure they had their reasons.. Heck even the rental shops didn't let people out which says a lot..

ctfphoto 11-04-2015 04:11 PM

I rescued two guys and did not make the news :confused:

Mr. NiceGuy 11-04-2015 04:38 PM

Apparently, they are safe. That's the important part.

In the meantime, it's a good lesson for all of us.

Live and learn.

Harry Hill 11-04-2015 04:41 PM

I looked at the cam today and saw whitecaps but I didn't see anyone launch[I[/I], the surf was pretty rough also. Didn't look like a good day to be out in any small craft.

RK 11-04-2015 05:22 PM

Prob heard the yellowtail tuna were running.........

skrilla 11-04-2015 07:00 PM

I wonder if the outcome would be different if they pacticed underwater rock carrying.

Stuck20 11-04-2015 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Hill (Post 246625)
I looked at the cam today and saw whitecaps but I didn't see anyone launch[I[/I], the surf was pretty rough also. Didn't look like a good day to be out in any small craft.

It was insanely windy today. Today was supposed to be my first LJ trip, but got to the launch and NOPED out. Not worth the risk one bit.

Phishphood 11-04-2015 08:44 PM

Stuck- check out the webcam before you even start loading up and then check wX and cam again before you head out. It'll save some headaches.

Also, wanna hit LJ some time next week?

Goose1993 11-04-2015 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deamon (Post 246617)
Kind of a bull shit comment right there. If anything, question their decision to go out but that's it.

Sounds like a tandem. If so, multiply the challenges of two peeps climbing back on in rough water. These people probably had some clothes on, water a bit on the chilly side, winds, lost some gear or had it all hung up and dangling. MUCH BETTER to make the call sooner than later. I'm thinking you probably don't have much experience with LJ's current...

Jim

Kind of a bitch comment right there. I'm guessing you're also the kind of person who suggests kayaking in the bay for 6 months before taking your kayak into the ocean to master this activity that is SSOOOO DIFFICULT.

And yes I have tons of experience in la Jolla. I'm sure Ive experienced much stronger currents surfing the cove when it occasionally breaks than when I'm fishing it off of a kayak... Or swimming through churned up water at horseshoe after breaking a leash and having my board go to shore.

Dannowar 11-04-2015 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goose1993 (Post 246648)
Kind of a bitch comment right there. I'm guessing you're also the kind of person who suggests kayaking in the bay for 6 months before taking your kayak into the ocean to master this activity that is SSOOOO DIFFICULT.

And yes I have tons of experience in la Jolla. I'm sure Ive experienced much stronger currents surfing the cove when it occasionally breaks than when I'm fishing it off of a kayak... Or swimming through churned up water at horseshoe after breaking a leash and having my board go to shore.

cove is a mushburger. surf blacks or GTFO

edit: also having surfed la jolla my entire life, i dove the outer kelp a month ago and the current was so strong when i got off my kayak i was 30 yards away within seconds. its a lot different in open water guy. You surf horseshoe? thats cool....theres channels on both sides and the inner reef is forgiving as well. you must not fish often if you've never seen so much current that the kelp disappears. its cool though, keep talking like you didn't just pick up a kayak and luck into some yt in the easiest year to catch one in your lifetime.

Dannowar 11-04-2015 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctfphoto (Post 246623)
I rescued two guys and did not make the news :confused:

oh and to make the bashing even on all ends.....

we know bro, you've told us multiple times

:cheers1:

lowprofile 11-05-2015 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannowar (Post 246649)
cove is a mushburger. surf blacks or GTFO

edit: also having surfed la jolla my entire life, i dove the outer kelp a month ago and the current was so strong when i got off my kayak i was 30 yards away within seconds. its a lot different in open water guy. You surf horseshoe? thats cool....theres channels on both sides and the inner reef is forgiving as well. you must not fish often if you've never seen so much current that the kelp disappears. its cool though, keep talking like you didn't just pick up a kayak and luck into some yt in the easiest year to catch one in your lifetime.

Where's the MFKing "like" button! Hahahaha

tamddo714 11-05-2015 02:51 AM

Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rufus 11-05-2015 04:52 AM

Guys, protect your passwords! It seems that some 12 year old girls have hijacked the thread.