Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Favorite time of year (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=30078)

rossman 10-05-2016 04:56 AM

Favorite time of year

It has been hard to pinpoint my favorite time of year in Bahia Asuncion because every month offers such a variety of fishing options but mid September to November 1st certainly has moved to the top of my list. The combination of warm but not uncomfortable days and nights, very little wind that only freshens in the mid afternoon, and the abundance of big yellowtail, and tuna and wahoo in the area has made for some very interesting fishing in the last couple weeks. If you are on the fence about if and when to come down, come down now or make your plans for next year.

Yesterday was one of those outstanding yellowtail days. I managed to land 19 yellows between 7 am and 11 am. I could have easily broken the Svendawg's record of 21 but first of all I want Sven to be here when I break his record, and secondly, my arms were like noodles. Sven will readily admit that his 21 yellowtail day was a day of rats but yesterday was quite different. There were a few in the 8 to 17 pound range but I had 8 that were clearly over 25. Unlike last week when Druko and I found them in fairly shallow water and went something like 5 for 16 on hookups, yesterday's were in deeper water and I lost zero to rocks and only a couple came unbuttoned.

Not all good news unfortunately. A fellow full time gringo in Asuncion who was a free diving spearo, drowned while free diving last Thursday. I'll miss his insight into Southern Baja fishery. RIP Duke Brownfield.

chris138 10-05-2016 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossman (Post 270107)
It has been hard to pinpoint my favorite time of year in Bahia Asuncion because every month offers such a variety of fishing options but mid September to November 1st certainly has moved to the top of my list. The combination of warm but not uncomfortable days and nights, very little wind that only freshens in the mid afternoon, and the abundance of big yellowtail, and tuna and wahoo in the area has made for some very interesting fishing in the last couple weeks. If you are on the fence about if and when to come down, come down now or make your plans for next year.

Yesterday was one of those outstanding yellowtail days. I managed to land 19 yellows between 7 am and 11 am. I could have easily broken the Svendawg's record of 21 but first of all I want Sven to be here when I break his record, and secondly, my arms were like noodles. Sven will readily admit that his 21 yellowtail day was a day of rats but yesterday was quite different. There were a few in the 8 to 17 pound range but I had 8 that were clearly over 25. Unlike last week when Druko and I found them in fairly shallow water and went something like 5 for 16 on hookups, yesterday's were in deeper water and I lost zero to rocks and only a couple came unbuttoned.

Not all good news unfortunately. A fellow full time gringo in Asuncion who was a free diving spearo, drowned while free diving last Thursday. I'll miss his insight into Southern Baja fishery. RIP Duke Brownfield.

RIP sounds like he was doing a lot of what he loved.

Excellent report.:cheers1::jig:

knightnsd 10-05-2016 08:48 AM

there are worse ways to go, hope I am as lucky to die hunting or fishing versus in a dirty diaper. RIP Duke

My neighbor found a guy face down in the Klamath river with a fly rod and salmon on the line years ago. Apparently died of a heart attack while catching the fish. Overall I would take it in comparison to other means of passing

joefish808 10-05-2016 09:34 AM

Rossman,

How far out and what depths are you fishing to land these fish?
It'll help me make a decision to make plans or not. Thank you sir.

rossman 10-05-2016 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joefish808 (Post 270119)
Rossman,

How far out and what depths are you fishing to land these fish?
It'll help me make a decision to make plans or not. Thank you sir.

Bout a mile from where I launched, 120 to 140 ft of water.

Murray 10-05-2016 10:45 AM

Are you launching thru the surf? I have an ab strain that does not allow me to use core muscles so I have to take it real easy.

rossman 10-05-2016 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murray (Post 270125)
Are you launching thru the surf? I have an ab strain that does not allow me to use core muscles so I have to take it real easy.

There are about 5 launch spots in the area and at any given day a couple will be totally protected from the swell.

chris138 10-05-2016 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murray (Post 270125)

The launch may not strain the abs, but I bet pulling on 19 yellowtail up to 40# definitely might work the old core muscles. :reel:

smokie 10-05-2016 12:03 PM

Sounds amazing, I'm drooling over here. Living up in NorCal where we don't have any of those exotic species, I can only imagine how awesome it would be to live down there. 19 YT!! Thats freaking amazing in my book! Thanks for sharing your report.

kurt 10-05-2016 12:48 PM

Sounds like a dream, catching that many yellowtail, no matter what the size. Sorry about your friend who passed. RIP.

SDROB 10-05-2016 01:05 PM

I know what you mean about favorite time of the year. Sept-November are my favorite times in baja for the same reasons.

I really want to go down there and visit for Thanksgiving. Is there any Baja or Bust trips set up to go down there this year?

rossman 10-05-2016 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDROB (Post 270138)
I know what you mean about favorite time of the year. Sept-November are my favorite times in baja for the same reasons.

I really want to go down there and visit for Thanksgiving. Is there any Baja or Bust trips set up to go down there this year?

Makobob has one put together for around Thanksgiving time. With his latest medical escapades he says he will be ready to go by then but Bob would never say anything different. Come on down any time Rob. Couple tanks of gas and you are here. I have an extra bedroom and plenty of space to set up cots or tents if multiple people come down.

SDROB 10-05-2016 02:03 PM

Thanks Rossman! Will be in contact. I really want to make it down there...:cheers1:

Mr. NiceGuy 10-05-2016 03:08 PM

Do you know what caused your friend to drown? It sounds like he was experienced as a diver and familiar with your area.

I'm sorry to hear about his tragic accident and the loss of a friend :(

rossman 10-05-2016 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy (Post 270149)
Do you know what caused your friend to drown? It sounds like he was experienced as a diver and familiar with your area.

I'm sorry to hear about his tragic accident and the loss of a friend :(

Some debate about that. Coroner found some arterial blockage and felt it might have been a heart attack. In talking with the guy that recovered him and researching myself, it could have been a Shallow Water Blackout. He shot a pretty hefty yellow and it wrapped a rock in 60 ft. He surfaced and hyperventilated and went back down but didn't return. While he was 68 years old, he was the picture of health and seemed very well prepared for the long haul. Swam at least 3 miles a day when he didn't dive. Had the fat content of a piece of hardwood.

kayakfisherman 10-05-2016 08:48 PM

Rossman,

So sorry to hear about your friend. Life has its twists and turns.

I think he was a lucky man to leave this life, charging... Hope he
gets to keep going.

Murray 10-05-2016 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris138 (Post 270132)
The launch may not strain the abs, but I bet pulling on 19 yellowtail up to 40# definitely might work the old core muscles. :reel:

Too funny but true. Think the combo of a black sea bass and a big swell 6 months ago wrecked me good. Guess I could target calicos and leave the yellows to the rest of you. Ha:luxhello:

makobob 10-06-2016 08:56 AM

Rob, I am going down for Thanksgiving with Buddha and others. WE will fish with Rossman there and at Punta Quebrada and Punta Eugenia. This will be year 4 for this trip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDROB (Post 270138)