Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Bait boat fill out in the open water. (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=32516)

Tac.Fish0313 02-05-2018 10:19 PM

Bait boat fill out in the open water.

Has anyone that has fished off of La Jolla/ Torrey Pines or PB waters ever called the attention of 'Everingham Bros' Bait boat (if it happens to be netting within the area/proximity where you may have been fishing) to get a bait fill on the spot? Kind of curious if they do that kind of thing. I've been graced during this past summer with the generosity of local private boats stopping by the nearest yak to give up their leftover bait before they head on in for the day. Yet I've seen our local bait boats pass through the area a few times, and always wondered if they can help a guy out?

Denis_Ruso 02-06-2018 08:08 AM

You probably have to know one of the guys on the boat to get that type of hook up.

jruiz 02-06-2018 09:10 AM

Squid boat yes. Others, not so much

Tac.Fish0313 02-06-2018 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jruiz (Post 290116)
Squid boat yes. Others, not so much

That's interesting, then I gotta keep my eye out for a squid boat. I love it when I'm just arriving on the water and another guy that's going home gives up his bait whether he on a private boat or yak but that's not always going to be the case. I guess I gotta prep to take enough frozen squid on my trips.

Mahigeer 02-06-2018 12:36 PM

The squid boats do not have a barge as far as I know, so the only way to get their bait is to go to them.

I see that frequently in Avalon. Where the private boaters go to get live squid.

skrilla 02-06-2018 01:13 PM

I'm sure the Captain would live to burn 20 bucks in gas to make 10 bucks on uncured sardines. :D

MITCHELL 02-06-2018 07:30 PM

Don't waste there time you would just be in there way

2 Attachment(s)
There trying to keep the bait receivers full for long range boats...ect bring a scope with ya....

MITCHELL 02-06-2018 07:40 PM

They will dump scopes of bait into the water..

For some reason, I have seen that several times passing me going up the bay....
Maybe just draining a tank with bait lots of birds follow the boat

Goose1993 02-07-2018 06:55 AM

During peak season, I (or anyone else who decides to do it) could probably make some good cash by taking my boat out, buying a half scoop of bait for $25, and selling it to kayakers for $.75 to $1 per sardine.

I have actually thought about doing this.... Many times. I'm just too busy snow boarding, scuba diving, fishing, and just having fun to spend my weekends working.

When I know there has been a hot bite, or when it has been hard to catch bait, that's something I would pay for, just for the convenience.