Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Lowrance Elite 4x DSI (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=13625)

Daltontribe 05-16-2012 03:40 PM

Lowrance Elite 4x DSI

Does anyone have one of these on their kayak? How are your transducer mounted, shoot through? rudder mounted? or.....? Is the DSI really that special?
Im looking to get one soon, and getting the one with the combo finder/gps worth the extra $150?

Daniel

PapaDave 05-16-2012 09:08 PM

Not sure about the difference between the regular and the DSI, but you will definately want the GPS version. It will store locations so you can easily return to them later without having to hunt for them. Probably more important then the DSI, you might come out even as to expense going for the Elite-5.

I think the kayak shops have scupper mount adapters for the Lowrance line of transducers also if you are worried about where to mount them.

Yakin 05-17-2012 07:42 AM

What i have been told is don't go with the dsi because of the need to have it in the water I havr posted several threads about this very subject

Useful Idiot 05-17-2012 01:53 PM

The DSI can also shoot through the hull, just like the regular transducers. We consulted Lowrance and have installed/tested a few now. No prob.

DSI is awesome. Takes a lot of the interpretation out of reading a fishfinder, almost a photographic image of the structure.

Yakin 05-17-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Useful Idiot (Post 118501)
The DSI can also shoot through the hull, just like the regular transducers. We consulted Lowrance and have installed/tested a few now. No prob.

DSI is awesome. Takes a lot of the interpretation out of reading a fishfinder, almost a photographic image of the structure.

So when did this change?

OutdoorAdvntr 10-12-2012 07:15 AM

hi, i want to resurrect this thread because i have a question in regards with the elite 4x dsi.. i have been reading reviews about this ff and alot of yakers are saying that you need to be constantly moving to get the dsi working? is this true??

thanks a lot!

roadx 10-12-2012 07:31 AM

yes
dsi is a thin wide beam, moving gives you more slices and a complete picture. it doesnt take much movement though.

Quote:

So when did this change?
dsi is no problem through hull but i prefer in water, side scan wont work through hull and never has.

jorluivil 10-12-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaDave (Post 118431)
Not sure about the difference between the regular and the DSI, but you will definately want the GPS version. It will store locations so you can easily return to them later without having to hunt for them. Probably more important then the DSI, you might come out even as to expense going for the Elite-5.

I think the kayak shops have scupper mount adapters for the Lowrance line of transducers also if you are worried about where to mount them.

GPS is a must. Ask most of the guys that don't have it and most if not all will tell you they regret not paying the extra $$ for the GPS feature.

Dirty Curti 10-12-2012 08:41 AM

Myself and my son both have this unit on our yaks. Mine is a through hull mount and my sons is mounted outside on the bottom of the hull. We have compared side by side and we don't notice any difference other than temperature. Mine shows a two degree difference at times. Slight movement keeps an accurate reading.

lightsidejedi 12-19-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Curti (Post 136126)
Myself and my son both have this unit on our yaks. Mine is a through hull mount and my sons is mounted outside on the bottom of the hull. We have compared side by side and we don't notice any difference other than temperature. Mine shows a two degree difference at times. Slight movement keeps an accurate reading.

What a relief I just bought this FF before reading that must be on the water all the time.. I´ll give a try first thru-the-hull hope it works fine like yours.

Dirty Curti, How do you installed yours?.. epoxic, marine goop?