Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Fishing in the rain? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=32401)

jbl_91762 01-05-2018 07:03 AM

Fishing in the rain?

I have a chance to go to SD for work and fish the bay and LJ the next morning however its finally going to rain in SoCal the days I'll be down there next Tues/Wed. I've never fished in the rain so gut feeling not to bother but what have you guys experienced if ever fishing those locations in rain. Not the end of the world if I don't go either lol.

Hunters Pa 01-05-2018 07:13 AM

Rain is no big deal as long as you dress for it. As always, keep your head on a swivel as visibility will be diminished.

But if Lightening starts up, stow yer rods and head for shore. Don't need a wet stick of graphite sticking up higher than anything else around you to draw a lightening strike.

As for the fishing, my catch rate is hampered more by other factors than rain.

PapaDave 01-05-2018 07:14 AM

It's not bad in a light rain with little wind, kind of cool actually. Not so great in a down pour.

Just make sure the wind and surf aren't acting up and there's no lightening going off.

summers in kuwait 01-05-2018 07:30 AM

As previously mentioned, rain isn't a problem as long as you are dressed accordingly and don't mind it.

I've had some great days fishing in the rain, but I wouldn't attribute it to the rain.

Lightning is a problem, so check the forecast beforehand and if you see it while your out there, don't stay out!

Denis_Ruso 01-05-2018 08:26 AM

Had one of my best calico days on a rainy day. The rain doesn't make much of a difference, downpour or not. Its the winds and higher swell usually associated with those rains that suck. Other than that if winds are still forecast to be flat I'd be out fishing in my waterproof jacket with a hot tea.

goldenglory18 01-05-2018 08:35 AM

There is a reason why bites are typically good+ when the rain is actively falling. It's a great cover for active fish.

+1000 on caution on/when there is lightning in the area. Shit is nothing to mess with....

https://i.redd.it/vqde67q14ebz.jpg
https://i2.wp.com/www.capturedlightn.../human_LF2.jpg

FullFlavorPike 01-05-2018 01:59 PM

It probably won't rain anyways.

Mahigeer 01-05-2018 04:08 PM

I agree with everyone.

If you don't mind a highjack, I will be fishing in the snow in Utah!!

Fortunately ice fishing rods are small and short. I am hoping for an inclement weather so the lakes get frozen. So far they have not.

jbl_91762 01-05-2018 07:14 PM

Thanks Guys, I feel more comfortable and will decide by Sunday and look at the lighting reports and if its ok IM off to fish the bay and LJ Wed morning!

FISH11 01-05-2018 09:23 PM

The rain you can dress for, but if the day you picked is Tuesday. Do something else! The magic seaweed forecast, is wind from over 17 mph to 30 mph and surf of 3'-4'. There's no way you should go out in the ocean in a kayak with that kind of wind unless you have a death wish.

jbl_91762 01-06-2018 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FISH11 (Post 289342)
The rain you can dress for, but if the day you picked is Tuesday. Do something else! The magic seaweed forecast, is wind from over 17 mph to 30 mph and surf of 3'-4'. There's no way you should go out in the ocean in a kayak with that kind of wind unless you have a death wish.

Thanks for heads up!! Hell no aint worth it I checked for Wed too and def not going. But thanks all!

Flounder 01-06-2018 07:41 AM

fish dont mind

Fish are always wet so unless the storm stirs up the bottom you can go in whatever you deem safe conditions ^^^Probably not safe Tuesday lol.

Biggest difference I've noted with fishing rain and on both sides of storms is paying attention to if its a low or high pressure front. It used to kill the bass and pike fishing in MI when a low pressure front moved in. Great bite right before and good bite when high pressure front came or held the area. Does this hold true here in SD?

Orca Winfrey 01-06-2018 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenglory18 (Post 289318)
There is a reason why bites are typically good+ when the rain is actively falling. It's a great cover for active fish.

+1000 on caution on/when there is lightning in the area. Shit is nothing to mess with....

https://i.redd.it/vqde67q14ebz.jpg
https://i2.wp.com/www.capturedlightn.../human_LF2.jpg

That must have been a Berkeley Lightning rod.

RK 01-08-2018 01:56 PM

fish are scared of water

goldenglory18 01-08-2018 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey (Post 289347)
That must have been a Berkeley Lightning rod.

Is there a drum kit/rim shot smilies?

:cheers1:

ChristLike 01-09-2018 08:39 AM

Ya know this really upsets me and it's not getting any better these days.

Why do you have to convince people NOT to do things that are in their control that would put themselves in danger, cause pain to their loved ones if they get hurt or die, cause someone else to get hurt or die trying to save the person (be nice) that decided they wanted to selfishly do what they wanted and screw everyone else that would have to bail them out/help.
I've personally never seen the ocean turn into a lake when it rains

Gets beLt out!

I lost a friend that was trying to rescue a dingbat. The dingbat lived!

Think about others

Denis_Ruso 01-09-2018 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristLike (Post 289424)
Ya know this really upsets me and it's not getting any better these days.

Why do you have to convince people NOT to do things that are in their control that would put themselves in danger, cause pain to their loved ones if they get hurt or die, cause someone else to get hurt or die trying to save the person (be nice) that decided they wanted to selfishly do what they wanted and screw everyone else that would have to bail them out/help.
I've personally never seen the ocean turn into a lake when it rains

Gets beLt out!

I lost a friend that was trying to rescue a dingbat. The dingbat lived!

Think about others

I understand you speak from personal experience and I am sorry for your loss.

This on the other hand is someone seeking advise and there's no convincing necessary.

My personal experience is several days on the water during a downpour and less than 4knot winds. 15+ years experience reading ocean forecasts goes a long way. There are windows to be taken, the calm before the storm is not just a saying.

We all know what kind of escape fishing is for all of us and we try to make the best of the windows we get to go fish. After-all what's a life worth living if you don't do what you love. Tight lines.:cheers1:

ChristLike 01-09-2018 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso (Post 289425)
I understand you speak from personal experience and I am sorry for your loss.

This on the other hand is someone seeking advise and there's no convincing necessary.

My personal experience is several days on the water during a downpour and less than 4knot winds. 15+ years experience reading ocean forecasts goes a long way. There are windows to be taken, the calm before the storm is not just a saying.

We all know what kind of escape fishing is for all of us and we try to make the best of the windows we get to go fish. After-all what's a life worth living if you don't do what you love. Tight lines.:cheers1:

No need to be sorry.
Don't let the freedom that you have stumble others.