Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Please help (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=10034)

leeman 04-20-2011 05:26 PM

Please help

Thinking of fishing la Jolla on Friday morning for the first time. I usually fish the bays for sbb but would like to try for a wsb or what ever else la Jolla has to offer, only I have no idea how to fish out there. I have a Penn gti reel and have 30lb line can I use swim baits out there or is it better to fish for live bait. Any suggestions on how to rig up my pole for using live bait, and anything else I should know for fishing out there. Thanks

evilkhemist 04-20-2011 06:06 PM

I would say the best thing to do would be just go for it and get the lay of the land (sea). Then on Saturday go see the seminar that "THE DARKHORSE" is giving at a local kayak shop. He will give you all the info you can possibly absorb for LJ.
Also, trying searching thru some of the old posts and learn from those.

leeman 04-20-2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilkhemist (Post 81713)
I would say the best thing to do would be just go for it and get the lay of the land (sea). Then on Saturday go see the seminar that "THE DARKHORSE" is giving at a local kayak shop. He will give you all the info you can possibly absorb for LJ.
Also, trying searching thru some of the old posts and learn from those.

Thanks man you know what shop he's doing the seminar at?

Mtobolsky 04-20-2011 08:17 PM

Fastlane

old_rookie 04-20-2011 08:43 PM

I'll be going out Friday morning too. We can team up if you want. I still consider myself new at this, but I can show you what I know and what I've been doing - and most of that has been picked up here or by teaming up with others.

You can do a drop-shot or a c-rig for your live bait. Or as evilkhemist said, search the forums.

leeman 04-20-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old_rookie (Post 81719)
I'll be going out Friday morning too. We can team up if you want. I still consider myself new at this, but I can show you what I know and what I've been doing - and most of that has been picked up here or by teaming up with others.

You can do a drop-shot or a c-rig for your live bait. Or as evilkhemist said, search the forums.

What time were you planning on going out?

old_rookie 04-20-2011 09:50 PM

Pm sent

taggermike 04-21-2011 08:58 AM

You might want to try the search function for some of your questions. If your comfortable on your yak and have the fishing thing some what down then, like evilkhemists said, just go for it. You can learn just by watching down at the launch as others go out through the surf. The out fit you described will work for bait and bottom fishing. Live bait will help you catch more fish and is about required to catch WSB. Plastics are good in LJ but are not the ticket, usually, for YT or WSB. I'm not in the damn WSB club, yet, but majority of the YT I have caught in LJ have been on slow trolled live mackeral(fly lined/no weight), then in decending order-surface iron, yo-yo iron, and 2 on plastics. Things are kinda slow right now but get out there, learn the lay out, get comfortable, and have fun. You can target bass, rockfish, white fish, ling cod, and sheephead on the bottom with squid, shrimp, or plastics. I caught my first LJ kayak YT on a kinda, nasty, windy, rainy day flylining a live smelt. LJ is a beautiful place, get out there and enjoy it. Mike

Kahouna 04-21-2011 09:01 AM

I still consider myself a rookie too but I'll be out there in the morning. Guy with a deer-in-the-headlights look in a red outfitter.

evilkhemist 04-21-2011 12:39 PM

I would love to join you guys tomorrow also, but have to attend a wedding in NC this weekend. The weather and swell look alright for next wednesday in LJ, if any of you would like to paddle out. I plan on going out from 6am to 10 am, and then have to go pay the bills

Reel Anxious 04-21-2011 12:55 PM

friday

Quote:

Originally Posted by old_rookie (Post 81719)

PM sent

punatunaHI 04-21-2011 01:58 PM

:sifone:Ill be out there tomorro morning also. I'm just started to fish La Jolla so if you guys are game for one more Ill be there. Names Nikko. PM me for times if you want to partner up

mtnbykr2 04-21-2011 05:01 PM

go get um guys, hey Rookie make sure you give everyone surf lessons first...:reel:

old_rookie 04-21-2011 06:13 PM

rookie showing the rookies???

I can show them how to get flipped on the landing - I think I have mastered that.

BrokeLoser 04-21-2011 07:40 PM

Like the blind leading the blind....hahaha
You guys are hardcore...wish I could be there.
Have fun fellas!

mtnbykr2 04-21-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old_rookie (Post 81773)
rookie showing the rookies???

I can show them how to get flipped on the landing - I think I have mastered that.

me too...lol :reel: go get um guys, I wish I wasn't so far away otherwise I'd be there...I am looking forward to the pics....

leeman 04-21-2011 08:45 PM

Should be fun ! Can't wait. Hope I don't flip!!!

leeman 04-21-2011 08:46 PM

I'll be on a red tarpon