Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Playa Saldamando - Saturday 2/21 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=24693)

YakHanded 02-23-2015 09:37 AM

Playa Saldamando - Saturday 2/21

5 Attachment(s)
Took off Friday night around 9pm and charged down to Playa Saldamando just north of San Miguel where I camped this summer. Got to the campsite there just after 11pm and set up camp with our car lights which was entertaining...

Woke up the next morning and got after it, launch was intense, cobble-stone entrance with some pretty gnarly 2-3ft surf coming through - we hiked the yaks to the water line, waited - waited - waited and finally charged it when seemed like a little lull, made it no problems but coulda been hairy.

Got out there and immediately within 10 minutes had a full bait tank, 1/2 4-6inch sardines 1/2 7-9inch big greenbacks. We began following these birds which were diving on some of the gnarliest boils of sardines I have ever seen like 100-150 yards across in all directions. We each had a bait in the water my buddy had his flylined and I had a 2oz carolina rig and were fishing the yoyo... I was convinced that we were going to slay because i literally have never seen anything like this - my screen was filled in 110ft of water and we had pretty much the whole column covered....

Long story short this was the case for solid 4 hours - be in these gnarly boils fish super hard, then paddle after the moving birds and bait....

Ultimately we ended the day with a short hali on iron, one of the biggest spanish macs ive ever seen and a few bonita - but no yellowtail or anything else of note. Saw some cool wildlife, dolphins crashing bait, grey whale - massive dogs. Around 2pm the wind started to pick up so we called it and headed in.

Sunday we woke up early to some pretty swampy conditions so just made breakfast, then decided to take our time heading back and stop to surf if it looked good. We drove - south 10 minutes to check the surf at San Miguel first and there was a contest! So fun, watched a few heats - started the morning with a few beers. Had a few more beers in Alisitos, then lobster lunch in Puerto Nuevo and breezed through the border in 1.5 hours this time....home by 530pm

Great trip, here are some photos - enjoy!

FISH11 02-23-2015 09:42 AM

Looks like a great time, even with no Yellows.

tsugg 02-23-2015 02:11 PM

Mex

I love it down weather fishing or just having a good time. Your FF story reminds me of our last trip to L A bay. As soon as I got in the yak and turned on the FF, it was black and I thought the ff was broke. Lol. When I looked down in the water it was solid macs!! I never even unhooked my lucky joe from my rod. Just dipped the rod tip in the water and BAM ! All the macs you could carry. Good times.

YakHanded 02-24-2015 07:23 AM

It was relatively cheap to camp $17USD a night - and some pretty killer campsites... the location is great too. 10 minutes south to san miguel & 20 minutes north to bajamar/puerto salinas! both have grocery/gas/bars/restaurants good times

ceviche eater 02-24-2015 09:56 AM

Nice I'm going to have to check that place out.

primosurf 02-24-2015 03:10 PM

Sounds like fun. Fresh seafood on the way.. Looking forward to go this summer!

Iceman 02-24-2015 03:23 PM

that looks like a very cool spot to camp and fish

YakHanded 02-24-2015 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by primosurf (Post 219707)
Sounds like fun. Fresh seafood on the way.. Looking forward to go this summer!

Hell ya! Quality, affordable eats for sure - you should do it! gets a bad wrap but so easy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 219708)
that looks like a very cool spot to camp and fish

If I remember correctly, you posted a while back about Saldamando - thanks for bringing it to my attention leyenda! Now if only we had got a fatty this weekend.....next time:doh: