Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Running into the taxman, what do you do? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=17985)

carbonbass 05-09-2013 10:29 AM

Running into the taxman, what do you do?

Well,
I cant say I have been fortunate enough to come across a large GWS while on the yak yet. But I know like riding a motorcycle, if I keep kayaking, some day I may run into the one. I know we all talk about the fear of the taxman, but does anyone really know what your supposed to do when you do run into one? Are you supposed to speed off as fast as you can or will the shark sense fear and investigate more? Share your knowledge if you have personally run into one on your yak and what you did.

captnblood34 05-09-2013 11:30 AM

[QUOTE=carbonbass;155843]Well,
I cant say I have been fortunate enough to come across a large GWS while on the yak yet.

Lost me at your first sentence..... But when the king of the Sea comes around I believe your preservation of life instincts come out....what those are? You'll find out when it happens. I predict that I would remain stationary and look as un-tasty as possible!:D

dorado50 05-09-2013 11:49 AM

Pay Up...its up to him/her how much to collect:p

Jimmyz123 05-09-2013 12:09 PM

Keep your feet in the boat, stay as calm as you can, and as Dorado50 stated, if the shark is going to attack, there isn't much you can do.

Ggiannig89 05-09-2013 12:27 PM

Don't really know whta I would do. Probably be freaked out and intrigued at the same time. And hopefully I would grab my knife and be prepared if he wanted to scuffle with me.

rossman 05-09-2013 12:34 PM

I take the attitude of a sea lion. It's the ones I see that I feel good about. They tend to attack from the depths. It's like "You never hear the shot that kills you". If you read the first had reports of shark attacks, you never hear that they saw the shark hanging around the area and suddenly they were attacked. It's always a surprise.

Baja_Traveler 05-09-2013 12:35 PM

I'll be scrambling to get my GoPro in action and in the water! As a dive master on multi day trips I've seen my share of sharks, but never had a cool camera like I have now. If you see a shark swimming around take advantage and get a good look - it's just being curious also.

The shark you don't see is the one you have to worry about! Thats how they hunt...

bellcon 05-09-2013 01:02 PM

Don't be so paranoid they're just gentle giants...

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XCN2LC_nBYQ" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

jruiz 05-09-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellcon (Post 155863)
Don't be so paranoid they're just gentle giants...

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XCN2LC_nBYQ" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

How irresponsible of her, hot chicks are an endangered species

ftufc 05-09-2013 01:12 PM

Being brand new to Kayaking, I have wondered about this a lot; I even purchased a muted color boat instead of yum yum yellow. I also intended to keep a 6' pole spear onboard in hopes of deterring any creature that was too nosey,,, that is, if I saw him first. Does anyone else carry a pole spear or bangstick while kayak fishing?

TJones 05-09-2013 01:13 PM

slow the pulse of your heart beat

kinda like a frog when he goes into hibernation . like you said if you panic , the shark can sense that . :paddleersmilie: or you can pull the mirage drive from bay , and crap right then .

Dannowar 05-09-2013 01:45 PM

probably take a picture

HELLSTER INC. 05-09-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellcon (Post 155863)
Don't be so paranoid they're just gentle giants

I think im in love, she rocks!

Old Man in the Sea 05-09-2013 02:06 PM

GWS are gentle when they have a full stomach....if hungry they are the opposite...Keep your blood slick to a minimum - I think a 6' bang stick is good insurance - if somebody has found a good one pm me - they use them in florida for gators...otherwise sit still and pray....it worked for Gabe...I do not think you can paddle or peddle fast enough :vroam:

danjor 05-09-2013 02:21 PM

2 summers ago while in Monterey visiting my relatives who also kayak up there during the 3 days I went kayaking we had 5 Tax man sightings. First one was from the freeway looking at the beach you could clearly see a freking huge great white in the waves, second thru forth sighting were while we were kayaking out of moss landing... When you see a great white it is more of a surreal feeling, at first I couldn't believe my eyes and than I just stayed still and just watched it, I know that I could not panic or it could turn bad.
Anyways saw 3 of them that day, first one I thought was a whale jumping to say hi except after 30 minutes or so we realized it never came back up, next one I was hung up on the bottom trying to break free and it swam by.... and last one was eyeballing the seals in the surf while we were he adding in. The next day we went out by cannery row and saw another one. To be honest I was never scared I was more shocked to see a fish that big, doesn't look real...

My take on it is if it wants to eat you there really isn't much you can do so if it is your time its your time, your still more likely to get struck by lightning while kayaking

driftwood 05-09-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Man in the Sea (Post 155871)
GWS are gentle when they have a full stomach....if hungry they are the opposite...Keep your blood slick to a minimum - I think a 6' bang stick is good insurance - if somebody has found a good one pm me - they use them in florida for gators...otherwise sit still and pray....it worked for Gabe...I do not think you can paddle or peddle fast enough :vroam:

I have to admit, that day changed the way I think in terms of kayaking alone late in afternoon with a bloody Yellowtail in the back of my kayak. That shark was almost as big as my kayak. As soon as a saw him I stopped moving and sat nervously still.

The GW circled me a few time and cruised under me and disappeared. May thru July is when see a lot big sharks in La Jolla.

maui jim 05-09-2013 03:10 PM

Your more likely to hit by a bus or lighting:cool:.....It's Jeorge's girl Candy that frightens me the most...:eek:

tacmik 05-09-2013 04:47 PM

I use one of those shark repellents....Glued a picture of my mother-in-law to the bottom of my yak.

TEAMFISH 05-09-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacmik (Post 155897)
I use one of those shark repellents....Glued a picture of my mother-in-law to the bottom of my yak.

:D:D:D:D
:D:D:D
:D:D
:D

T Bone 05-09-2013 06:00 PM

sack up and throw out a bait...