Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Hobie Outback Stern (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=32806)

Ljs089 04-16-2018 06:47 PM

Hobie Outback Stern

Stern of my 2017 Hobie Outback is sitting too low in the water, the entire storage area is always sitting in about an inch of water. I weigh 250lbs so i realize i'm heavier than most on an outback, i'm also using a livewell that's full of water approx 7 gallons, and i realize it's covering the scupper holes. However, even with all these variables filled i've never seen this issue with other people. Is this the norm for the outback, any solutions?

YakDout 04-16-2018 07:21 PM

I’m only 190 but happens to me too sometimes. Especially when the weather isn’t great. Sometimes wind waves come over the back pretty easy. Try to keep the un-needed gear at home and drain the bait tank when you’re done with it as soon as you can. Make sure the back hatch is sealed as best it can be. Do you get any water inside after a day of fishing? If not, or minimal, wouldn’t worry about it much.

Ljs089 04-16-2018 07:26 PM

I've been in rougher weather with 5 foot swells in Newport where it happened but it has also happened in Mission bay with water as calm as glass. I don't really get any water in my hull, my hatches are tight. I'm thinking of maybe creating a spacer so that the 2nd scupper hole isn't blocked by the livewell and maybe then the water will drain properly. I also don't have the black cap for the livewell so i don't know if that's causing an issue either.

NICKWORN 04-16-2018 07:58 PM

I’ve heard and seen this

2 Attachment(s)
On the new outbacks. Is your the camo? Are u running a lead acid battery in the rear hatch for your FF?

Here’s a pick of mine with battery in hatch, bait tank full and yes some water in rear from the scuppers being blocked and a few rods. Still sits pretty high. Oh yea I’m 215lb( solid muscle lol) in this pick.

Second pic is from a guy who was saying the same about his 17 camo. Starting to think there’s a few blems out there.

DanaPT 04-17-2018 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ljs089 (Post 292275)
I've been in rougher weather with 5 foot swells in Newport where it happened but it has also happened in Mission bay with water as calm as glass. I don't really get any water in my hull, my hatches are tight. I'm thinking of maybe creating a spacer so that the 2nd scupper hole isn't blocked by the livewell and maybe then the water will drain properly. I also don't have the black cap for the livewell so i don't know if that's causing an issue either.

Cut wine corks would do the trick.

Ljs089 04-17-2018 09:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No i have a dune 2017 brand new hull i saw unpackaged at the shop, no blem damage. I'll attach a photo below.

makobob 04-17-2018 01:59 PM

If your stern is low then your bow is high. move some weight forward to balance the boat.

LEEZO 04-17-2018 07:58 PM

I too have an outback and weigh in at 250 lbs. I have a full live well with the heavy battery in the rear hatch or have the five hoop nets during the lobster hunts. it does tend to ride low but nothing more than that.

jruiz 04-17-2018 08:57 PM

You're in good shape if your steering lines are not submerged under water, and even if they are, there's a liner pressed in to where they enter to prevent water from just pouring in unimpeded.

Ljs089 04-18-2018 11:45 AM

I think i figured out the problem. My downspout tube for my livewell was sitting way too high and causing all the water to drain into my stern storage area. If it was shorter it would feed the excess water down into the scupper hole.