Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What has happened to the birth place of SOT fishing? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=19875)

rhyak 10-23-2013 03:19 PM

What has happened to the birth place of SOT fishing?

Whats happened... I am talking So-Cal in general

Multiple Forums down here in So-Cal all have few to no post on a weekly basis... Whats up with that.

LJ fished daily, no reports to really speak of.
Takes 8-10 post to actually find pictures of our awesome fishery.
The bay's is fished daily if not weekly for sure, rarely a report.
There are a couple 1000 members on here with not even half of you being active at all. Whats your deal?

When a good report does get posted fail not someone will come over and bash it... So why post right that is how I look at it.

Should I, "NO"
Should you "NO"
Post away.

What I am saying is there are forums up and down the rest of this county that are just flourishing right now and the So-Cal ones not so much...

Is it the MLPA causing it, I don't think so.
The MLPA is young in SoCal. Been around on the Central Coast for a decade.

Do not want this to turn into a locked thread so lets keep it light.
But what is going on down here but no where else in the country?

makobob 10-23-2013 03:43 PM

2X, GREAT question? What's going on with our community? Active memberhip down to 830.

bosshoss 10-23-2013 03:47 PM

:dontknow:

danjor 10-23-2013 03:53 PM

Don't know, I'm on here every day, probably don't post as many reports as I should but I also don't go out as much as I used to and most of the time not much to report. But I try.

wiredantz 10-23-2013 03:54 PM

here are the answers:

The answer is, Southern California is crowded, so very very crowded, many people feel like they do not want their honey hole ambushed with 20 million powerboaters.

I heard their were some bandits chasing other fisherman with Gaffs

Some people just don't care anymore, and don't want to me bothered with being politically correct to post or not to post

# 4

after a while a fish is a fish, and don't feel likes is a big deal to post.

# 5

some people ostracize you if you post....

PAL 10-23-2013 04:48 PM

Angler numbers and the relatively advanced age of the kayak fishing scene have a lot to do with the situation. As did web fragmentation (devolution). And the local concentration of most kayak anglers into relatively few fishing spots.

Consider also the collapse of the tournament schedule, which was largely but not solely offered and supported by retailers. I was very sorry to see the demise of the Moyer Memorial, at the time the longest running kayak fishing tournament in the world. Don't forget the red tape - permits and insurance are required for most events staged down here.

I think I have a broader perspective than most, and I've been around a long time. I've thought about and discussed these issues for years. The rise of code groups, Facebook and the MLPA have played a part. The modern birthplace of kayak fishing at Pt Dume is an MPA, no fishing, no-how. How's that for an insult?

Kayak anglers who are enjoying a heyday in other regions at least know what to watch for.

monkeyfishturds 10-23-2013 05:21 PM

People fish because they enjoy it Ryan. Sharing on the internet is a personal choice. You'd be surprised how many fishermen don't want to share their lives with strangers on the internet. Don't be bothered by peoples choices.

rhyak 10-23-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyfishturds (Post 172979)
People fish because they enjoy it Ryan. Sharing on the internet is a personal choice. You'd be surprised how many fishermen don't want to share their lives with strangers on the internet. Don't be bothered by peoples choices.

Thanks for using one of your 29 post in the last 4 years on this...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

bus kid 10-23-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyfishturds (Post 172979)

winner winner chicken dinner!

jruiz 10-23-2013 06:07 PM

Dare I say a fishing community can exist without a forum? I believe the forum has served its purpose as a source for information and an avenue to get together for larger group events. My belief is no forum can replace a day out on the water alone or with your fishing buddies and that many have become so reliant on online communities that they can't function in social situations anymore. I applaud your intentions but speaking fort myself i've dedicated as much effort as I allowably can, any more is a distraction from the actual sport of kayak fishing.

fishingfiend 10-23-2013 06:20 PM

I agree rhyak, the forum scene is pretty tough here. It almost seems as if the kayak fishing forums all peaked a couple of years ago. I also believe the hardcore kayak angler is a solitary creature, as a result not very chatty on the boards.

rhyak 10-23-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAL (Post 172978)
Angler numbers and the relatively advanced age of the kayak fishing scene have a lot to do with the situation. As did web fragmentation (devolution). And the local concentration of most kayak anglers into relatively few fishing spots.

Consider also the collapse of the tournament schedule, which was largely but not solely offered and supported by retailers. I was very sorry to see the demise of the Moyer Memorial, at the time the longest running kayak fishing tournament in the world. Don't forget the red tape - permits and insurance are required for most events staged down here.

I think I have a broader perspective than most, and I've been around a long time. I've thought about and discussed these issues for years. The rise of code groups, Facebook and the MLPA have played a part. The modern birthplace of kayak fishing at Pt Dume is an MPA, no fishing, no-how. How's that for an insult?

Kayak anglers who are enjoying a heyday in other regions at least know what to watch for.

I agree to some aspects. The crowds do not seem to participate any longer. But why is that. Is the question.

Someone said over crowding, not sure if anyone is familiar with the BAY area but pretty damn populated and overcrowded and they seem to share just fine.

Is it because the MLPA is fresh down here and still hurts. Central Coast has had MLPAs for what? 10 years, most of the north coast ones pushing 6+ years, still there obviously but hurts. Some great locations no longer available, but still a lot of great locations to discover and share with friends.

Im pretty sure there was a time when the Albion Open was called ELK but that individual let the MLPA take him away from the Kayak community from what I have heard, with all due respect for this person, our we all gonna let this happen to the socal scene or is it already too late, due to not being able to fish certain area's.
We need it to bring us together, for the next battle that will arrive before we know it and need to be standing 300 strong not 30 strong...

There should be comradery among all of us not hatred and regret that's how it almost feels. Paul you know how that feels when you go to a NCKA event everyone is family and that's how it should be down here.

Regards,

Ryan

lowprofile 10-23-2013 06:59 PM

if you have questions, they will generally be answered but looking for up to date reports from a bunch of guys who eat, breath and dream of fishing and catch fish consistantly...not going to happen. there is no joy from posting pics of the same fish over and over. I'm sure if a run of yellowfin or BFT made it up this way the forum would be flooded. but its till just yellowtail, wsb, halibut and a bunch of bottom fish.

we are all guilty of the Noob posts of our first fish or 20. then its just pointless because its the same tactics and probably same area over and over but you still get flooded with questions from people too lazy to do research or try something new OR if you post too much your taking too many fish and the MLPA is now your fault AND you've given away the super secret bite that really never ends all year.

Bennyblanco 10-23-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiredantz (Post 172975)
here are the answers:

The answer is, Southern California is crowded, so very very crowded, many people feel like they do not want their honey hole ambushed with 20 million powerboaters.

I heard their were some bandits chasing other fisherman with Gaffs

Some people just don't care anymore, and don't want to me bothered with being politically correct to post or not to post

# 4

after a while a fish is a fish, and don't feel likes is a big deal to post.

# 5

some people ostracize you if you post....

#5 for me. Disappoint with some of members that I met in the water and they try to avoid you.don't want to mention names but, there part of some sewish spill team.

alanw 10-23-2013 08:02 PM

It might just be SoCal in general. People here suck for the most part, probably just because there are too many here. Head up north a bit and people are more likely to stop and talk, and just seem more friendly in general from my experience.

There are some great fishing reports here but they are few and far between.

A few guys here will never post anything relevant about their catch, only a few pictures with the background erased, and a location called the pacific ocean. They're showing us new guys how it should be done I guess.

BrokeLoser 10-23-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhyak (Post 172968)
Whats happened... I am talking So-Cal in general

Multiple Forums down here in So-Cal all have few to no post on a weekly basis... Whats up with that.

LJ fished daily, no reports to really speak of.
Takes 8-10 post to actually find pictures of our awesome fishery.
The bay's is fished daily if not weekly for sure, rarely a report.
There are a couple 1000 members on here with not even half of you being active at all. Whats your deal?

When a good report does get posted fail not someone will come over and bash it... So why post right that is how I look at it.

Should I, "NO"
Should you "NO"
Post away.

What I am saying is there are forums up and down the rest of this county that are just flourishing right now and the So-Cal ones not so much...

Is it the MLPA causing it, I don't think so.
The MLPA is young in SoCal. Been around on the Central Coast for a decade.

Do not want this to turn into a locked thread so lets keep it light.
But what is going on down here but no where else in the country?

I don't intend to offend you with this but lets be honest; in 18 months you've only posted an average of 4.67 times per month. You're not exactly super "active" around here.
What is it you expect to gain personally with regard to whether or not this forum is blowing up?
It's been said here over and over that "honey hole" locations and or hot spot numbers will not be given while they're hot. All you'll really ever get out of a "fish report" is another photo of another yellowtail, halibut, WSB...etc etc. If that's what excites you I'd suggest the following: www.google.com then type in yellowtail / halibut / WSB and click images.

If it's information related to your kayak and how to make it better you're after then their is a shit-ton of that info already here and if it's not already here then their are a shit-ton of people here that love to be helpful. (just don't ask them where to catch fish...haha)

ful-rac 10-23-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennyblanco (Post 172992)
#5 for me. Disappoint with some of members that I met in the water and they try to avoid you.don't want to mention names but, there part of some sewish spill team.

Oh I sorry you are "disappoint" with the "sewish spill team", I'm assuming your referring to team sewer?

Have you ever introduced yourself to anyone of us? I don't ever remember ever meeting you.

Stinkymatt runs the complaint department maybe you want to get ahold of him hopefully he can resolve your issue.

In all seriousness were all really cool guys...at least I like to think so. If anyone is unlucky enough to run into any of us on the water don't be afraid to introduce yourself....we won't bite....

HARD!

dorado50 10-23-2013 08:33 PM

Sign of the times.....an evolution if you will.

wiredantz 10-23-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrokeLoser (Post 172994)
I don't intend to offend you with this but lets be honest; in 18 months you've only posted an average of 4.67 times per month. You're not exactly super "active" around here.
What is it you expect to gain personally with regard to whether or not this forum is blowing up?
It's been said here over and over that "honey hole" locations and or hot spot numbers will not be given while they're hot. All you'll really ever get out of a "fish report" is another photo of another yellowtail, halibut, WSB...etc etc. If that's what excites you I'd suggest the following: www.google.com then type in yellowtail / halibut / WSB and click images.

If it's information related to your kayak and how to make it better you're after then their is a shit-ton of that info already here and if it's not already here then their are a shit-ton of people here that love to be helpful. (just don't ask them where to catch fish...haha)

just fyi: ryan is a legend

he is one of those guys that drinks DOS Xs beer

one time his kayak sank and he split the waters so he can walk on dry land to little harbor

or something like that

and I think he runs central kayak fishing forum

just fyi

BrokeLoser 10-23-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiredantz (Post 173001)
just fyi: ryan is a legend

he is one of those guys that drinks DOS Xs beer

one time his kayak sank and he split the waters so he can walk on dry land to little harbor

or something like that

and I think he runs central kayak fishing forum

just fyi

A legend?
Like Babe Ruth and Michael Jordan?