Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   San Elijo Launch? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=36803)

Tomol 02-04-2022 11:08 AM

San Elijo Launch?

Anybody have any experience there? The forecast is for unusually small surf and NE wind, so I thought I'd poke around for a seabass (spearfishing). I know it's early, but it's a good opportunity to get to scout.

jruiz 02-07-2022 10:22 AM

I've camped at the campground many times and fished the surf. I think if you find the right day you could launch from the mouth of the lagoon

JohnMckroidJr 02-07-2022 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jruiz (Post 316608)
I've camped at the campground many times and fished the surf. I think if you find the right day you could launch from the mouth of the lagoon

That looks like a fun place to camp out, probably good barred perch fishing? Looking at google maps, seems like the break at the lagoon mouth is equal to elsewhere and has some rocks out in the break? Probably looks much more doable on a high tide.

jruiz 02-07-2022 03:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr (Post 316609)
That looks like a fun place to camp out, probably good barred perch fishing? Looking at google maps, seems like the break at the lagoon mouth is equal to elsewhere and has some rocks out in the break? Probably looks much more doable on a high tide.

I've pulled a couple of calicos and short halibut in the shallow reefs there. High risk fishing. I think I've lost 2-3 luckycrafts there. Reason I mention the mouth of the lagoon is that you can launch at high tide from there and not have to contend with breaking surf as you're trying to get in your kayak. Heck if the tide is high enough you might be able to pedal out in a hobie.

Here's what the mouth looks like on an ideal day.

As the OP hinted at, only spearfishing of WSB is allowed by boat/kayak. Not really my thing

JohnMckroidJr 02-09-2022 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jruiz (Post 316610)
I've pulled a couple of calicos and short halibut in the shallow reefs there. High risk fishing. I think I've lost 2-3 luckycrafts there. Reason I mention the mouth of the lagoon is that you can launch at high tide from there and not have to contend with breaking surf as you're trying to get in your kayak. Heck if the tide is high enough you might be able to pedal out in a hobie.

Here's what the mouth looks like on an ideal day.

As the OP hinted at, only spearfishing of WSB is allowed by boat/kayak. Not really my thing

Thanks for the reply. I did realize that the SMCA had unique rules. For the amount of time on the water, A spear diver has a much bigger impact on the environment than a recreational fisherman -- bummer kayak anglers got excluded. As a kid I would fish the PV area by shore with mussle as bait, for opaleye, Perch, Calicos and Cabazon. One time harvested a 5lb Calico in a foamy tide pool of only 3ft depth. We would find rocks with holes in them to use as sinkers.