Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Wide Open Halibut Bite plus PB at 40 Pounds (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=26485)

ctfphoto 08-04-2015 12:52 PM

Wide Open Halibut Bite plus PB at 40 Pounds

3 Attachment(s)
Non-Kayak / Kayak fishing report. I found this spot on SD Bay with my kayak and fished it multiple times to know that halibut lived there.

Went out on a Private Boat with my bro-in law and his bro-in-law who had come in town to visit for a few days. They wanted to go Halibut fishing so I said that I know of a really good spot. I am thinking, hmm, everyone is targeting the exotics so the pressure may be off the halibut. Had a late start but that is ok as I like to fish the tidal swing (soon approaching) in hopes the halibut change position making them more active.

Went to the bait barge and loaded up on large sardines and both types of very small macs. Took a boat ride until we got close to my spot. I literally point at the water and said let’s fish there. I pick a large lively sardine and dropped down and instantly felt something. Pulled it up to no bait even with the trap rig. Instantly grabbed another large lively sardine and dropped it down and SLAM! Instant bendo with a very large fish and I’m thinking it's huge halibut for sure.

Bring it up see color and its a huge halibut, sweet. My bro grabs a huge net and starts for the fish which of course scares it and it takes a run peeling little line. I bring it back up, it gets netted and thrown on the deck and all three of us are in amazement at just how big the fish is. Started freaking out so i killed it instantly with a knife to the head. Bleed out completely. Took all of about three minutes of fishing to catch my biggest fish ever.

We then proceeded to catch four more halibut 2 of which were legal. Five total, kept three. During that time I was hit by another very large halibut and as I was bringing it up it popped off the hook. We also got many rakes and stolen baits. Very fun day. Got home and weighed it at 39 pounds with a complete bleed out, so I’m calling it 40 pounds making this my Personal Best fish ever.

Made tacos, froze lots of huge slabs, and got myself a set of Jaws.

I need to do a turn around trip on my kayak in short order.

Dirty Curti 08-04-2015 01:44 PM

Oh Yeah! That is what it's all about. Nice trip. Love the buts!:eating:

octico 08-04-2015 01:52 PM

Very nice!

Kayak_Bernie 08-04-2015 01:53 PM

Let me know if you ever need a partner!! I've been wanting to explore more of SD Bay on my kayak instead of a boat as well.

Aaron&Julie 08-04-2015 02:23 PM

Very nice, congrats on your PB.

Iceman 08-04-2015 02:23 PM

pretty sharp teeth for a 40 pounder, must like eating squishy stuff only :D

ctfphoto 08-04-2015 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 236372)
pretty sharp teeth for a 40 pounder, must like eating squishy stuff only :D

He was missing quite a few teeth, wonder if a game clip does damage?

ctfphoto 08-04-2015 02:52 PM

Wow, i just did a trade of frozen halibut chunks for fresh ahi caught today by another kayak fishing brother on a private boat. Thanks bro. Was planning on eating semi fresh halibut but guess I'll be eating super fresh ahi instead :D

I love this sport and the comradery

Deamon 08-04-2015 03:00 PM

Chris-man...your hair...it's...it's "poofy" without the hat. Good to see a different side of you...

Great job!

Jim

ctfphoto 08-04-2015 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deamon (Post 236379)
Chris-man...your hair...it's...it's "poofy" without the hat. Good to see a different side of you...

Great job!

Jim

Duuuude, I forgot my hat on an offshore trip of 13 hours last week, I am glad for the hair or I would have got fried.

My wife tells me like ever day she going to cut it all off.

Jim, very nice catch on the WSB. Hey if you ever need some company at night on a low swell evening, just let me know :D

Deamon 08-04-2015 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctfphoto (Post 236381)
Hey if you ever need some company at night on a low swell evening, just let me know :D

Ummm...are we talking...TRADE? We go to your spot on the lumpy days and my spot on the calm days? Yeah buddy! Jim

blitzburgh 08-04-2015 03:13 PM

F-N-A man!!! :luxhello::luxhello::luxhello:

ctfphoto 08-04-2015 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deamon (Post 236383)
Ummm...are we talking...TRADE? We go to your spot on the lumpy days and my spot on the calm days? Yeah buddy! Jim

Anyday / night buddy! You may already know my spot if you know SD Bay.

FISH11 08-04-2015 03:29 PM

Great looking Hali, Chris. Congrats on PB. Those tacos look delicious.

ful-rac 08-04-2015 04:05 PM

So what do you think tastes better...halibut or yellowtail?

Geno Machino 08-04-2015 04:06 PM

Great job on the PB!!!

Halibut a my favorite!

Nice work!

RobFish 08-04-2015 04:09 PM

Nice fish Chris. 40# halibut is a healthy one for sure and some great eats!!!

ctfphoto 08-04-2015 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 236401)
So what do you think tastes better...halibut or yellowtail?

Halibut for sure, plus it freezes better.

But the fresh ahi tuna with the sauce I'm going to make will blow both away.

ctfphoto 08-04-2015 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobFish (Post 236403)
Nice fish Chris. 40# halibut is a healthy one for sure and some great eats!!!

Rob thank you man and good to hear from you. Long time no see.

Hope to see you out there offshore soon :D

jorluivil 08-04-2015 05:31 PM

I'll say because no one else will but I'm sure others are thinking it.........when you bleed a fish it will not lose a pound of blood.

Regardless, its a nice fish but if it weighed 39 it doesn't make it 40 after bleeding and if it does my last 40pounder is now 41 so it'll take a 42pounder to beat it

Again, nice fish!!!!