Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Bass Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Friday on the Freelance - Non-Yak Bass (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=30656)

goldenglory18 02-20-2017 01:43 PM

Friday on the Freelance - Non-Yak Bass

Sorry for the non-yak related post.....

Looks like I'll be out on the Freelance on Friday. They are headed out for a Bass specific trip (with a few stops for sculpin, apparently) before the gates open for rocks on 3/1.

Anyone have any bass specific tips/tricks/lure suggestions? My initial plan is to throw 4 - 6" big hammers, coltsnipers/squishjigs and possibly bring a jerkbait rod if the conditions see fit.

Anything else you guys can recommend would be greatly appreciated!

- KT

makobob 02-20-2017 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenglory18 (Post 275675)

Looks like I'll be out on the Freelance on Friday. They are headed out for a Bass specific trip (with a few stops for sculpin, apparently) before the gates open for rocks on 3/1.

Anyone have any bass specific tips/tricks/lure suggestions? My initial plan is to throw 4 - 6" big hammers, coltsnipers/squishjigs and possibly bring a jerkbait rod if the conditions see fit.

- KT

I always looked for a brown bait to flyline, caught lots of big calicos that ways.

goldenglory18 02-21-2017 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makobob (Post 275679)
I always looked for a brown bait to flyline, caught lots of big calicos that ways.

What's a "brown bait"?

I feel like you might be making a poop joke..... :ack2:

FullFlavorPike 02-21-2017 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenglory18 (Post 275703)
What's a "brown bait"?

Nah that's how you catch Opaleye :reel:

goldenglory18 02-21-2017 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike (Post 275707)
Nah that's how you catch Opaleye :reel:

You mean pinkeye?

:o

Geno Machino 02-21-2017 08:42 AM

Goes to show your age son...

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenglory18 (Post 275703)
What's a "brown bait"?

Or mine :D,
Tom cod (white croaker) or herring. Both have been over fished, not many around that I've seen in the past few years or so. Calico's, yellows and sea bass all use to eat them real good - back in the day.

Denis_Ruso 02-21-2017 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenglory18 (Post 275675)

- KT

Throw whichever setup you are most accurate with. In my experience with bass trips, you either get them flylining baits like everyone on the boat is doing, or casting as close as you can to the kelp and they will ambush you bait from the kelp.

Swim baits always work, If they don't switch to a jig. Colt sniper and crocodiles work great.

goldenglory18 02-22-2017 11:01 AM

Just heard from the landing.....trip is cancelled due to unplanned maintenance.

Looks like I'll just be hitting up OEX instead. If Andy and I get the Thresher fixed, maybe I'll head out and fish the harbor instead.

Thanks for the great info everyone. Hopefully I'll get to use it some time soon!

- Kenny

King Saba 02-23-2017 06:45 PM

I say try for some spottier then as a redemption trip!

2-Stix 02-25-2017 08:42 PM

calicos will hit what ever they decide. what i am getting at is, some times they will only chew on plastic other times only fin bait. longest caster wins when its plastic. 5" is all i fish. if red crab is around i run red. other than that clear body and red, brown or greens.