Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Rod suggestions for new SXJ (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=30594)

goldenglory18 02-07-2017 05:25 PM

Rod suggestions for new SXJ

All,

Just found a steal of a deal on a new in box (not a blem!) AVET SXJ.

Whats a decent rod pairing for this reel? My two main "needs" I have left are a 40lbs setup and a bottom jig / H/XH rig.

Thanks!

YakDout 02-07-2017 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenglory18 (Post 275066)
All,

Just found a steal of a deal on a new in box (not a blem!) AVET SXJ.

Whats a decent rod pairing for this reel? My two main "needs" I have left are a 40lbs setup and a bottom jig / H/XH rig.

Thanks!

The reel is probably a little small considering the size of the spool to fish big fish off the bottom, so Id use it as your 40 setup. The rod depends on if you are gonna be jig slingin with it or fishin bait. If bait, I like the phenix blanks. Something like the 7'6" or 8' black diamond in M or MH. If for jigs (not yoyo jigs) id go with a calstar or seeker all glass blank. 8' - 9'. Something like 20-40lb or 20-50lb blank.

fishnfoool 02-08-2017 10:32 AM

My 2 cents

That reel will easily hold over 200 yards of 65lb braid and you could use a short top shot of braid or flouro for bottom fishing.
I would recommend any of the shimano terez rods that fit yourspecifications and it will be a great lightweight combo with more than enough backbone to lift big fish off the bottom.

jorluivil 02-08-2017 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishnfoool (Post 275079)
That reel will easily hold over 200 yards of 65lb braid and you could use a short top shot of braid or flouro for bottom fishing.
I would recommend any of the shimano terez rods that fit yourspecifications and it will be a great lightweight combo with more than enough backbone to lift big fish off the bottom.

I have an SXJ and I believe Tony has a few as well, those reels hold more than enough line for a big fish. Fishnfoool is correct on the total yards, the SXJ is rated to hold 230 yards of 50lb spectra. Even if your reels only held 150 yards of line you'd still be good, even with a big fish. If you hook a fish that spools all of your 200+ yards of spectra on the SXJ you're not landing that fish, period. I've landed several fish on my Shimano Cardiff 400 and it holds less line than the SXJ.

jorluivil 02-08-2017 03:29 PM

As far as rods go its hard to say what will work for you, we all have different fishing styles and use different rods to target different fish. My preference is something that has fast action, they are far more sensitive and will help drive the hook into the fish faster than a rod that has medium action.

YakDout 02-08-2017 04:05 PM

Dont know about you guys, but ive had big yellowtail strip 100 yards of line like it was nothing. If your yoyo fishing in close to 300 feet of water, which is definitely not unheard of, well you do the math..couple months of cutting off knots or cutting out bad line.. Im not knocking the reel, it just wouldnt be my go to bottom fishing rig. I guess on a kayak we can get away with a little more than boat fishing since we get pulled around.

2-Stix 02-08-2017 04:38 PM

The SXJ is their jig reel...but it comes with a reel seat and no clamp as it is intended for bass fishing. I have a few Avets. All with clamps. I run a sx for light flylining, mxj for irons, mxl raptor for dropper looping, bottom fishing and jx for heavy flylining.

Graftecs are a great value. If not, I go Cal-Star.

fishnfoool 02-08-2017 07:07 PM

I have caught plenty of yellowtail with my sx (not sxj) but in essence same reel. Largest yellowtail was 42lbs, it towed my kayak around for a while but did not take more than 50 yards of line. I was fishing 65lb braid with 3 feet of 40lb flouro and just put a lot of drag on him.
That is just my personal experience, but I have no problem with big fish on my small reels. I have been using my jx 6/4 on the 100 plus pound tuna and had no problems.
I think most people just don't put on enough drag for the game they are going after. You just need to stop that initial run quick as you can

jorluivil 02-08-2017 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishnfoool (Post 275095)
I have caught plenty of yellowtail with my sx (not sxj) but in essence same reel. Largest yellowtail was 42lbs, it towed my kayak around for a while but did not take more than 50 yards of line. I was fishing 65lb braid with 3 feet of 40lb flouro and just put a lot of drag on him.
That is just my personal experience, but I have no problem with big fish on my small reels. I have been using my jx 6/4 on the 100 plus pound tuna and had no problems.
I think most people just don't put on enough drag for the game they are going after. You just need to stop that initial run quick as you can

:iagree:

the largest fish that I've caught on my smallest reels was a 42lb WSB on a shimano cardiff 400. I recall that shortly after I landed and secured that fish I dropped another bait, as soon as the bait hit bottom I checked the drag on the reel and didn't realize how much drag I had on that fish.

h2ofishfo 02-08-2017 11:53 PM

X3 on the reel more than enough line if you get spooled your plain not puttin the wood to it or your letting him run with your bait till he digests it and it's half way out the butthole

goldenglory18 02-09-2017 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakDout (Post 275068)
...The rod depends on if you are gonna be jig slingin with it or fishin bait.

If bait, I like the phenix blanks. Something like the 7'6" or 8' black diamond in M or MH.

If for jigs (not yoyo jigs) id go with a calstar or seeker all glass blank. 8' - 9'. Something like 20-40lb or 20-50lb blank.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishnfoool (Post 275079)

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakDout (Post 275068)
Graftecs are a great value. If not, I go Cal-Star.

Thanks, guys.

The Graftechs I've seen at Turners seem to be a decently put together stick. Maybe I'll take another look at those and see if one fits my fancy.

:cheers1:

2-Stix 02-09-2017 01:15 PM

I have been close to spooled on the sx a few times...BUT it was not on a yak, 25-35# yellows on a 10 pack I fish monthly at the Channel Islands. I could not stop them. I had the recommend 9# drag set with 30# floro. I think in a yak its another story. I forgot that detail. It does change the game. I set my drag to the 25-33% range of the leader. All backed with 65# braid.

YakDout 02-09-2017 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2-Stix (Post 275130)
I have been close to spooled on the sx a few times...BUT it was not on a yak, 25-35# yellows on a 10 pack I fish monthly at the Channel Islands. I could not stop them. I had the recommend 9# drag set with 30# floro. I think in a yak its another story. I forgot that detail. It does change the game. I set my drag to the 25-33% range of the leader. All backed with 65# braid.

Which is exactly what you want to do to not lose a fish. 1/4- 1/3 drag to lb line ratio.

goldenglory18 02-10-2017 04:19 PM

....and after stopping by a local Big 5 today (I haven't been in one since I was a kid) now I'm seriously considering moving this new SXJ to my MH Proetus and buying a $60 Penn Rampage H for my Saltist 20LW. That stick wasn't the prettiest to look at but it seemed like a steal and I've heard those things are built like tanks...

YakDout 02-10-2017 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenglory18 (Post 275205)
....and after stopping by a local Big 5 today (I haven't been in one since I was a kid) now I'm seriously considering moving this new SXJ to my MH Proetus and buying a $60 Penn Rampage H for my Saltist 20LW. That stick wasn't the prettiest to look at but it seemed like a steal and I've heard those things are built like tanks...

60 bucks? Are you sure its not a blem?

goldenglory18 02-10-2017 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakDout (Post 275206)
60 bucks? Are you sure its not a blem?

It was at Big 5...........so probably. ;)