Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   New lowrance FF (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=28197)

Tuff guy 02-05-2016 02:14 PM

New lowrance FF

Any thoughts on this unit? Anyone have it or know of any reviews?

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/lowran...aphy--17030388

spyakker 02-05-2016 03:02 PM

I just bought that one. Can't beat the price. It's a real nice FF with GPS which was what I really wanted. Only took it out once so far, but love it. Oh, and be sure to buy the warranty!

maquinapescado 02-05-2016 05:14 PM

I have the older elite and like. I just don't like how small the screen is. I would like a 5 but at that price, I might get a new model to upgrade.

fishingfool 02-05-2016 05:45 PM

Fish finder

Just bought that one from Overton's. LOWRANCE ELITE-4 HDI FISHFINDER/CHARTPLOTTER WITH LAKE INSIGHT PRO CARTOGRAPHY
For 199.99. no sales tax free shiping

acorad 02-05-2016 07:49 PM

Where/how are you guys mounting the transducer?

Andy

"Lowrance Elite-4 HDI Chartplotter/Fishfinder with 83/200 455/800kHz Transducer & Nautic Pro Cartography
  • Q: can I mount the transducer 'in hull'

Asked on 12/28/2015 by Purfler from North East Md

Know the answer? Answer this question
    1 answer

Dave Legacy 02-05-2016 08:01 PM

The users manual for my Mark-4 HDI says the transducer may be used thru-hull.

spyakker 02-05-2016 08:16 PM

My hdi I mounted mine inside the hull. I used duct seal to hold it in place. I do notice it is not as sensitive verses having the transducer in the water but I don't like the arms that hang over.

However,I am still experimenting

Quote:

Originally Posted by acorad (Post 252867)
Where/how are you guys mounting the transducer?

Andy

"Lowrance Elite-4 HDI Chartplotter/Fishfinder with 83/200 455/800kHz Transducer & Nautic Pro Cartography
  • Q: can I mount the transducer 'in hull'

Asked on 12/28/2015 by Purfler from North East Md

Know the answer? Answer this question
    1 answer

buddha 02-05-2016 09:14 PM

I currently am having my Lowrance Elite 4 Chirp installed by OEX MB in my OK Trident 11 and they have assured me that the fish finder will work fine through the hull.

Fishin' Magician 02-06-2016 05:12 AM

I have that unit in both my Malibu Stealth 12 and X Factor. The Stealth 12 is thru hull and works fine. The X Factor has it installed beneath the kayak in a special niche so is basically transom mounted and is in contact with water. I can't honestly say that I've been able to tell the difference in functionality when used in either one. it's the same head unit, but two different transducers.

I did notice though that during the last time out with the X Factor I was actually seeing fish arches on the FF which I don't normally see when using the Stealth 12. Not sure if it has anything to do with how the transducer is mounted (Andy at OEX installed both).

When I contacted Lowrance about a problem that I was having with the head unit, the service rep told me that the transducers are intended to to be transom mounted, so for it to work properly it should be in contact with water. Take that for whatever you care to. It will work in a thru hull installation, but it may work better if in contact with water.

I'm just sayin'......

Tuff guy 02-07-2016 09:08 AM

Ok good advice, maybe I'll go take a look at it

ctfphoto 02-07-2016 09:36 AM

Buy from West Marine with the extended warranty. You will use it.

WM has absolutely the best no questions asked warranty in the business.

If you have a warranty with them, then it is like always having a fish finder bank account that can be used at anytime to upgrade.