Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Recent June Loop trip (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=29377)

Yellfever11 06-21-2016 09:39 PM

Recent June Loop trip

5 Attachment(s)
Arrived at june lake 6/16. No sites available at june or gull campground luckily was able to get one at reserved campground which was across from gull.
Fished 3 days for two trout.. windy condition the entire weekend.
We fished june, gull and silver lake.
Overall great campground better yet the view of the entire lakes and mountains was awesome.

We did scratch up like 50 crawdads to make a feast. There were some big ones too.
Attachment 19470Attachment 19471Attachment 19472Attachment 19473Attachment 19474

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

murphy 06-22-2016 05:35 AM

Mmmmm. I love them mini bugs

kayakfisherman 06-22-2016 05:56 AM

Holy Moly, why didn't I get invited?? That's looks so good.

Summertime at the June Lake Loop has to be a great vacation.

NICKWORN 06-22-2016 06:41 AM

Opening Day Sucked to

My buddy's said Opening day down at Bishop Creek and Lodge was slow to, intake 2, which is usually a 50-100 trout a day( catch n release of course ) was awful.

On the other hand The reports coming out of the Twin LAkes has been great.

addicted2sp33d 06-22-2016 07:12 AM

I saw the pictures first... didn't yet read the text, and seriously thought, "look at this baller who ships-in live lobsters while he's fishing at a lake". :you_rock:

Mr Fishback 06-22-2016 08:56 AM

That's an awesome pot of crawdads!

katchfish 06-22-2016 10:13 AM

Making some great memories!

I love that place!!

Yellfever11 06-22-2016 10:22 AM

Definitely will go back soon!!

Geno Machino 06-22-2016 12:28 PM

Looked like a killer spread!

The view and relaxation was worth the 2 trout.

Thx for sharing!

Geno

WARRIORMIKE 06-22-2016 12:34 PM

Sierra are always nice.....

FISH11 06-22-2016 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was also up there for 5 days, this last week. I stayed at Silver Lake RV Resort and it was crazy windy most of the time. Had two really nice mornings with flat water and no wind till around 10am. I did not take my kayak this time because I would have to spend more time with the wife, so I rented a power boat 1 day and fished from shore on 2 other mornings. The wind was so strong by lunch that it was hard to control the boat and the small Honda motor could hardly power it into the wind. Coming back and trying to pull up to the dock was an experience. The views around that area are incredible. Did not take the time to try and get crawdads, but it makes me wish I had.

Yellfever11 06-22-2016 04:41 PM

Nephew hike up fern trail (think that's what it's called) he caught brown trouts at the upper lake (CPR). He said there's a bundle of them up there.
Wild trouts.

Saba Slayer 06-22-2016 05:15 PM

The Loop

Great photos...it looks like another fun trip to the June Lake Loop.
Those Crawdads are delicious.
Where was the best trapping? What traps did you end up getting?
That campground across from Gull is usually the go-to place when everywhere else is full. Where they still working on re-paving the Silver Lake Campsite area?
It's pretty easy to reserve a campsite on the USFS website....we have one at Silver Lake for the full week after the September 5th holiday...Crawdads, Trout and no crowds...can't wait...!
The Fern Creek trail is really some fun fishing for Brookies...small C&R fish but beautiful...!
Thanks for the report

Yellfever11 06-22-2016 06:28 PM

Hi Jim-
Thanks for all the tips... wife really like the entire june loop area.
As for the traps, I got the collapsible mesh traps (amazon). Got for less than $10 dollars. I thought the traps would be too small but they actually work!! I placed the traps at a rock area in gull lake. Didn't set any at silver.

* might have to join u that week Jim. Let me take a look at the USFS site.

Geno Machino 06-22-2016 06:41 PM

My gal and I are getting a 26' travel trailer in a couple of weeks. We are planning to go up there in the next month or two. Was wondering what do you put into the traps for the crawdads - if anything for bait?

Yellfever11 06-22-2016 06:46 PM

I used the heads and the guts of the two trout I caught.. next time im going to try mackeral. Heard chicken liver work really well.

FISH11 06-22-2016 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The State campground at Silver Lake were the launch is, was totally closed because of the re-paving job. That has made the Silver Lake RV Resort be totally packed. I called a few weeks ago only to be told they were full for the summer. I got lucky just before leaving I called them back and they had someone leave early, so I booked it immediately and then had to move to another site in the park for the final 2 days. Even with the crowds and the winds it was a blast. This picture was taken with my cell phone while fishing from the shore on Sunday June 19 at 7:36am. That picture I think says it all. It's like heaven.

Saba Slayer 06-23-2016 05:03 PM

Traps

Great photo of Silver Lake and Carson Peak...thanks Mark:luxhello:

Hey Geno...I called you back and it was fun talking, but I thought I'd share the trap info here too for any other interested kayakers.
The Promar trap that I like the best is the Promar TR-503.
It's a collapsable cylinder type trap made out of spring steel and netting. It has a funnel type entrance like a lot of the other traps on the market but it also has a sort of netting sleeve that the bugs have to crawl thru, which prevents them from crawling out again after eating. The net is about 12" x 24" and collapses to about 12" x 4"....it's really easy to carry a bunch of them. They have two zipper access areas...one with a small pouch for the bait and another to access and remove the catch. For bait I like chicken pieces and a can of cat food with a bunch of holes poked in it to act as an attractant.

Geno Machino 06-23-2016 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saba Slayer (Post 263983)

Hey Geno...I called you back and it was fun talking, but I thought I'd share the trap info here too for any other interested kayakers.
It's a collapsable cylinder type trap made out of spring steel and netting. It has a funnel type entrance like a lot of the other traps on the market but it also has a sort of netting sleeve that the bugs have to crawl thru, which prevents them from crawling out again after eating. The net is about 12" x 24" and collapses to about 12" x 4"....it's really easy to carry a bunch of them. They have two zipper access areas...one with a small pouch for the bait and another to access and remove the catch. For bait I like chicken pieces and a can of cat food with a bunch of holes poked in it to act as an attractant.

Great talking with you this morning Jim. Great amount of info here and I can't wait to give it a try!!!

cris 06-23-2016 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saba Slayer (Post 263983)

Thanks for the info.

Heading up for the very first time at the end of October. Can't wait!