Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Punta Quebrada (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=27497)

rossman 10-29-2015 01:46 PM

Punta Quebrada

4 Attachment(s)
I took a little trip to the Bahia Tortuga area this week for a few days of camping and fishing. I camped in a small fish camp called Punta Quebrada which is about half way between Bahia Tortuga and Punta Eugenia. Excellent sedan type road into the area and a nice protected launch point. I got there on Monday afternoon after a non hurried 3.5 hour trip from Asuncion. Set up camp and prepared for and early morning launch.
I left the beach at daybreak and a paddled to the closest point and started exploring the areas that had lobster buoys. Found an area that looked promising with a high spot of around 60 ft of water and dropping off fairly quickly to 120 ft. The high spot was covered with bait and calico and a good number of Sierra and pesky needlefish were in the area. About 8 i hooked up with a yellow on a jig in fairly shallow water and thankfully he mad a run for deeper water. Got him landed, taped and released. A very nice fat 38 pounder. About an hour later I hooked and landed another nice 35 pound fatty. These fish were built like offensive linemen. Massive head and shoulders. I then headed to the beach and was back at camp for breakfast at 10:30. Spent the rest of the day hiking and beach combing and of course the obligatory siesta. There were some cool looking cave formations in the surrounding Hills. My brain wanted me to try to get to them but my 68 year old body won the battle.
Launched again at daybreak on Wednesday and headed for the same area. Very easy 1 mile paddle. By the way, the Vagabond out of San Diego had anchored up on my spot for the late afternoon bite and overnight. They moved on just after sunrise. About 7 i hooked up with a big fish and landed a beautiful slug that taped out at 44 lbs. I gave this one to a local pangero who had played the part of a cheerleader during the battle. He offered some lobster in return which I turned down since I was packing up and heading home and my ice was almost gone.
About an hour later I had another hookup and again landed a thick 41 pound yellowtail. This one slurped the jig so far into it's gullet that there was no chance of retrieving in. I harvested it with the hopes that someone at the launch would take it off my hands. That turned out to be not a problem. I even got my jig back after they cleaned it. They had a couple digital scales at the launch and was pleased to see the actual weight within a few ounces of taped calculations. This fish had a girth of close to 30 inches.
All in all the place turned out to be an incredible fishery and I will visit it again. A quick 2.5 hr drive and I was back in Asuncion.
Attachment 17315

Attachment 17316

Attachment 17317

makobob 10-29-2015 01:53 PM

Congrats, nice to see you exploring down there. hope to see you soon. Thanksgiving is coming.

Murray 10-29-2015 02:27 PM

Man, what you are doing is way cool. You got me beat by a couple of years but am retired and wondering if I should get back into baja. Have not been back to mex for a long time. All the stuff you hear about has kept me away. Know it is pretty much drug related but have not wanted to put myself in a position where my family has to come to my rescue. Got to get passports updated and then will see. Thanks for the posts. Makes me feel like an adventurer again. Had a number of wonderful trips down the baja when the highway first opened. Catching yellows from the beach just south of Loreto was unreal. Maybe will cross paths with you sometime in the future. Blessings and safety mate.

rossman 10-29-2015 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 17319

I kept forgetting to post this up. First YFT on my yak. Gorgeous when I hey are all lit up right after you land them. Didn't plan on keeping him but right after the photo he went into spasm mode and ripped a gill by mistake and he bled out in a hurry. Mad a great sushi meal and one of seared Ahi.
Wish I had a great off shore adventure to write about but caught it in 100 feet of water fishinf for calicos

GregAndrew 10-29-2015 02:38 PM

Kewl stuff Ross. What weight to length scale are you using? Don't think I have seen one for YT.

Iceman 10-29-2015 02:44 PM

just stop!................:D

lamb 10-29-2015 03:20 PM

Awesome!
Look at that last pic. :cool:

rossman 10-29-2015 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregAndrew (Post 246054)
Kewl stuff Ross. What weight to length scale are you using? Don't think I have seen one for YT.

I just use the standard used by the long range boat. I think it comes to within 5 percent on any fish.

Girth x Girth x length / 800

EastLosYaker 10-29-2015 03:37 PM

"Obligatory Siesta", nice! Enjoy it for the rest of us! Can't wait to get down there!

rossman 10-29-2015 03:37 PM

Except halibut although I have never tested it.

kurt 10-29-2015 06:57 PM

That's just amazing. Just about four fish of a lifetime in a two day span. Bravo!

h2ofishfo 10-29-2015 08:04 PM

Nice job sashimi is a plus

kayakfisherman 10-29-2015 08:50 PM

Wow Ross,

Every time I read your posts, I ask myself, "Where
did I go wrong?"

JeffB 10-29-2015 08:50 PM

Nice report, pig yellow!

katchfish 10-30-2015 04:03 AM

¡La buena vida!:drool5:

Deamon 10-30-2015 04:22 AM

RossMAN!

Forties! Soon brotha, soon!

Jim

surfisher 10-30-2015 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayakfisherman (Post 246078)
Wow Ross,

Every time I read your posts, I ask myself, "Where
did I go wrong?"

x2 ... giving me something to work towards! You're posts are so epic!!

Ojos_raros 10-30-2015 08:32 AM

after reading the baja catch, I dreeeeamed of fishing there...

maybe one day? definitely one day!!

MrPukaShell 10-30-2015 08:39 AM

Simply Awesome

Sully1 11-02-2015 07:42 PM

Incredible fish, keep it up!