Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Fish Finder Recommendation (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=31164)

dsafety 05-23-2017 06:57 PM

Fish Finder Recommendation

I bought a used Lowrance FF last year. I used it twice and it has now crapped out. Now I need something new. I usually settle for one of the lower cost units because I know that fish finders on kayaks do not usually last very long. This time I am considering jumping up a level so I can take advantage of the more recent technology.

That said, does anyone have some suggestions for a value-priced unit that is a step or two above the basic $100 devices that I have used in the past?

I have done a little research and the Raymarine Dragonfly 4 Pro seems to offer a lot at around $300.

Any thoughts?

Bob

Raskal311 05-23-2017 07:33 PM

The lowrance hook seems to be a staple unit.

octico 05-24-2017 06:23 AM

I love my Raymarine DragonFly, but I am sure everyone is going to have there own preference.

goldenglory18 05-24-2017 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsafety (Post 279958)
...does anyone have some suggestions for a value-priced unit that is a step or two above the basic $100 devices that I have used in the past?

A FF for my new Ride is the next big purchase I'll make. My $$ is either going towards a Lowrance Elite or the Raymarine Dragonfly series.....

YakDout 05-25-2017 09:38 AM

Elite 5 or 7ti is a great new unit.

alanw 05-25-2017 12:04 PM

I've used a Dragonfly for the last 3 or 4 years without failure so I'm kind of partial to it. I'd get at least the 5" model, and its only around $330 if you search. You just gotta get creative sometimes with mounting the transducer as they were a bit bigger than the Lowrance transducers.

chris138 05-26-2017 03:40 PM

Dragonfly has great image clarity, and IMO their downscan is the best. I used to see things on my Dragonfly downscan that I never see on Lowrance 455 or 800 kHz. However, I did find that the waterproofing of the device leaves a lot to be desired. Also, dragonfly only uses 200kHz for broadband frequency (well like 180-220kHz oscillation w the chirp.) This was a dealbreaker for me, as the lower broadband frequencies such as 83 and 50 are much more powerful in the deepwater marine application.

Sheephead 05-27-2017 04:25 AM

I've tried lowrance hook and chrip (which is now hook) and their shit from the kayak. Baby it all you want, water will get inside and destroy your unit. Lowrance Elite 7ti is epic! Sd card slot is completely sealed. If you go with lowrance this is the only option imo. Unless you want to send in your unit for a month every 2 months.