Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   sib question (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=12757)

james92026 03-04-2012 10:34 AM

sib question

I still have a 12 foot inflatable (flat bottom) and have added a hard deck. I am wondering if a surf launch (La Jolla) is feasible. It has a motor, but I imagine I would have to rely upon a paddle until beakers are cleared assuming a kayak paddle is long enough. Biggest concern would be catching a wind in large swell and flipping. Second concern would be landing a fish and having dorsal puncture. It would stay afloat I am confident as it has three air chambers and I assume that punctures could even be repaired on the water with a tape kit.

Any suggestions/caveats?

Thanks

taggermike 03-04-2012 11:54 AM

You'd be fine launching an inflatable most days at the shores. Check the forcast, surf reports and the launch web cam and you'll have a good idea of the actual conditions. Oars will work better than a kayak paddle and you may need to wade in a ways to make it easier to get the motor started. If you have a buddy one guy can get on the oars while the second guy wades in and then gets the motor going. Mike

james92026 03-04-2012 12:44 PM

Okay, at least the oars I have come apart and although one of the collars is broken, I am pretty sure they will still function. Motor is electric and mount provides for 180 degrees tilt (Minn-kota 40). Its a bit tricky steering as the shaft is so long and I have to sit with my arm raised as though I am holding onto a subway car hangar with the tiller above my head. In the bay I used to use a folding chair which worked out great, but not sure how safe that would be in the ocean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by taggermike (Post 109132)
You'd be fine launching an inflatable most days at the shores. Check the forcast, surf reports and the launch web cam and you'll have a good idea of the actual conditions. Oars will work better than a kayak paddle and you may need to wade in a ways to make it easier to get the motor started. If you have a buddy one guy can get on the oars while the second guy wades in and then gets the motor going. Mike

TJones 03-04-2012 01:52 PM

you have got big eggs

does electric have enough punch to get you through fast enough. :o

james92026 03-04-2012 02:45 PM

It should, La Jolla has pretty small surf most of the time. The Minn-kota has 40# thrust. also with rowing, shouldnt be a whole lot different than paddling a yak, although a lot slower going.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJones (Post 109141)
does electric have enough punch to get you through fast enough. :o