Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General Yak questions (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=29463)

YakAnglerUSMC 07-02-2016 10:04 PM

General Yak questions

Hey all, I am moving back to San Diego at the end of this year since I previously sold my Malibu Stealth I am back in the market for a new ride. What is the requirement in Cali for powered yaks? (i.e. predator xl minn kota) Do they need to be registered like a boat? Also, my options are the Hobie Pro Angler 12 and anything else with a hands free propulsion system. ANy comments/feedback is welcome and appreciated!

Tight Lines!
Justin

Dave Legacy 07-02-2016 10:09 PM

Has to be registered and the number applied to your hull. If I recall correctly it's really not that expensive. There's a motor for the Hobies now too. ;)

ccacher1 07-02-2016 10:11 PM

Almost certain anything not human propelled needs to be registered like a boat. Most everyone in here will tell you hobie is the way to go if you want hands free.

TJones 07-03-2016 07:12 AM

From my experience

The added headache, loss of storage, and added weight does not supercede the advatages gained. You don't see any hardcore, regular users of PA's with motors let alone any hobie kayak. Takes away from the from. I have only seen one or two or know of only one person with a motor other than myself.

Harry Hill 07-04-2016 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJones (Post 264518)
The added headache, loss of storage, and added weight does not supercede the advatages gained. You don't see any hardcore, regular users of PA's with motors let alone any hobie kayak. Takes away from the from. I have only seen one or two or know of only one person with a motor other than myself.

I met a guy with Team Daiwa on his hobie that had a torquedo on it. It moved him along pretty good. I don't remember seeing any hull numbers on his boat

YakAnglerUSMC 07-04-2016 05:08 AM

Thanks for the replies guys! I did some research and verified via the CA.gov website that any vessel that is not powered by human propulsion requires registration. However, registration is fairly inexpensive. With all that said, it appears some nice new features are going to be announced at ICAST 2016 in two weeks so my decision will have to wait a little longer.

TJones 07-04-2016 08:27 AM

Had first generation

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Hill (Post 264557)
I met a guy with Team Daiwa on his hobie that had a torquedo on it. It moved him along pretty good. I don't remember seeing any hull numbers on his boat

Second generation added another cell to extend duration . Definitely moves along , and could easily take you to the fishing grounds and maybe back at moderate pace . Never ran it on my PA , but did on my outback . Made things very tight. Like I mentioned , most would agree that space is an issue on any hobie without removal of foam core blocks in hull . Would not recommend that for a heavy guy who likes to sight fish in the hot sun .

YakDout 07-04-2016 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakAnglerUSMC (Post 264558)
Thanks for the replies guys! I did some research and verified via the CA.gov website that any vessel that is not powered by human propulsion requires registration. However, registration is fairly inexpensive. With all that said, it appears some nice new features are going to be announced at ICAST 2016 in two weeks so my decision will have to wait a little longer.

Maybe a loophole here. What if when the cops came you stuck your mirage drive in?