Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   SD bait barge relocation (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=19818)

todd one 10-14-2013 09:43 PM

SD bait barge relocation

As some of you may know, The San Diego bait Barge Is moving. The navy want it out of where it is now by 2104. There has been talk of it moving to the back bay. That would be the worse place they could possibly put it. It would ruin live bait Kayak fishing in the bay.. Now I'm hearing they're going to move it in front of Harbor Island. I sure hope so. That wouldn't be a problem at all. That might even be a better location. What do you guy think about that?

easyday 10-14-2013 11:49 PM

Seems like a more central location for where everyone pulls out of.

619-SWIM-DOG 10-15-2013 04:59 AM

Todd ill get the inside story of when and what location they plan on moving the barge...

todd one 10-15-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 619-SWIM-DOG (Post 172447)
Todd ill get the inside story of when and what location they plan on moving the barge...

Thanks! That would be appreciated. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's not going to the back bay.

619-SWIM-DOG 10-15-2013 05:35 PM

Don't worry I believe it's going to Harbor Island area, I'll keep this posted on what comes up.

Jimmyz123 10-15-2013 05:43 PM

If they move it to the Harbor Island area that would be so cool. There are many times I would love to fish with live bait but don't want to paddle all the way to the current location. When are the projecting on moving this?

619-SWIM-DOG 10-15-2013 05:51 PM

Once things get final ill let you know. They should put out a "Notice to Mariners" message about this.

kobra 10-15-2013 06:01 PM

I doubt very seriously that it would move to the south bay. There is typically too much of a temperature difference from front to back and it's too far in the wrong direction for the sporties. Just my 2 centavos.

todd one 10-15-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 (Post 172487)
If they move it to the Harbor Island area that would be so cool. There are many times I would love to fish with live bait but don't want to paddle all the way to the current location. When are the projecting on moving this?

If you're launching at the Shelter Island, I say Harbor Island it about the distance at the current location, just opposite direction.

I guess you could launch at Spanish Landing. That would put you closer.

jaws197 10-15-2013 06:31 PM

From what I was told by one of the bait guys a few months back Everingham desperately wants the harbor island location due to temperature and flow issues, but the authorities in the bay want it out of sight.....The bait guys know that they will lose a ton of bait in the back as well as the sport boats having to go so much further to load up instead of grabbing on the way out.

The previous posters are perfectly correct that the harbor island would make things soo much easier to fish live bait towards the bridge!!!:D:D:D

todd one 10-15-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaws197 (Post 172496)
From what I was told by one of the bait guys a few months back Everingham desperately wants the harbor island location due to temperature and flow issues, but the authorities in the bay want it out of sight.....The bait guys know that they will lose a ton of bait in the back as well as the sport boats having to go so much further to load up instead of grabbing on the way out.

The previous posters are perfectly correct that the harbor island would make things soo much easier to fish live bait towards the bridge!!!:D:D:D

YEs it would be an eye sore in front of Harbor Island. There really is no good alternative. It's going to be interesting to see where it goes.

Jimmyz123 10-16-2013 07:17 AM

I doubt that it would be placed in front of Harbor Island, but there are areas that they can put it so that the sporties can hit it on the way out. However they will have to do a better job of keeping it clean so that it doesn't smell as bad. I'm sure this can all be worked out.

LawDog 10-16-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todd one (Post 172441)
As some of you may know, The San Diego bait Barge Is moving. The navy want it out of where it is now by 2104. There has been talk of it moving to the back bay. That would be the worse place they could possibly put it. It would ruin live bait Kayak fishing in the bay.. Now I'm hearing they're going to move it in front of Harbor Island. I sure hope so. That wouldn't be a problem at all. That might even be a better location. What do you guy think about that?

Man the navy is looking at future ops there. Still have almost 100 years to move, 2104 is a long ways out. Lol

bosshoss 10-16-2013 04:25 PM

2104 ???? :confused:

jaws197 10-16-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 (Post 172524)
I doubt that it would be placed in front of Harbor Island, but there are areas that they can put it so that the sporties can hit it on the way out. However they will have to do a better job of keeping it clean so that it doesn't smell as bad. I'm sure this can all be worked out.

From what I gathered Jimmy it was predominately about flow through the cages to keep the bait its healthiest. The further you go back in the bay the slower the flow, they are adamantly opposed to be further back in the bay than they are now.

I agree totally about keeping the mess down and the smell close to the bigger tourist attraction at Harbor Island.

Jimmyz123 10-17-2013 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaws197 (Post 172563)
From what I gathered Jimmy it was predominately about flow through the cages to keep the bait its healthiest. The further you go back in the bay the slower the flow, they are adamantly opposed to be further back in the bay than they are now.

I agree totally about keeping the mess down and the smell close to the bigger tourist attraction at Harbor Island.

It's funny the Navy is getting all grumpy about this, that thing has been in that area for as long as I can remember. I remember my dad and I heading out there when I was 7 to get bait, and I'm now 41. So it's been there a long time. It is the best location for it because of the better water flow. Moving it to the back of the bay would really mess up the bait. I think the only choices for them to move it would be where the sport boats come out so that they don't have to do anything but go from the dock, to the barge, to the fishing grounds. Similar to what Mission Bay has. I'm sure they could make it work They may have to make it smaller than it currently is, but I think moving it there would be the best choice.

walrus 10-17-2013 08:08 AM

Want the real scoop on what's happening with the temporary relocation?

http://baitbarge.com/

Aaron&Julie 10-17-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walrus (Post 172589)
Want the real scoop on what's happening with the temporary relocation?

http://baitbarge.com/

Wow, those relocation areas suck, as far as where we launch and fish for halibut in SD bay. Looks like 4 extra miles of paddling, according to their scale, which isn't going to happen for the "chance" our honey hole is producing on any given day.

Jimmyz123 12-08-2013 07:04 AM

http://www.baitbarge.com/relocation-map.html

Looking at the maps again this is really going to suck. Has there been any word on when this will happen?

todd one 12-08-2013 11:35 AM

No official word yet. They guys at the barge were saying around Harbor Island somewhere. That wouldn't be too bad. I could live with it. There's some good Halibut fishing on that side too.