Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   DIY Kayak Cart or buy cheap pre-made on Amazon? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=28250)

Jacurley45 02-11-2016 03:39 PM

DIY Kayak Cart or buy cheap pre-made on Amazon?

I am a new owner of preowned 2012 Hobie Revo after like 7 to 9 months of hiatus.

Now I'm looking around for a good kayak cart as my kayak's bottom is practically still pristine and I would like to keep it that way.

Any advices? I've looked around on old threads and there's not that many discussions regarding to which is better via DYI or buying a reasonable affordable one off Amazon.

Non-Pneumatic Wheels from Amazon

Pneumatic Wheels & cheapest one

TWO following DIY links:

Palmetto Bulletproof Build

Waterman Natwork's DIY

Harry Hill 02-11-2016 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacurley45 (Post 253412)
I am a new owner of preowned 2012 Hobie Revo after like 7 to 9 months of hiatus.

Now I'm looking around for a good kayak cart as my kayak's bottom is practically still pristine and I would like to keep it that way.

Any advices? I've looked around on old threads and there's not that many discussions regarding to which is better via DYI or buying a reasonable affordable one off Amazon.

Non-Pneumatic Wheels from Amazon

Pneumatic Wheels & cheapest one

Three following DIY links:

Palmetto Bulletproof Build

Waterman Natwork's DIY

I made the cart from the Palmetto site, but instead of using the Harbor Freight wheels I used some low pressure sand wheels, it's much better that way

ctfphoto 02-11-2016 03:57 PM

DIY: PVC + Big Harbor Freight Tires + Strap

This method allows you to put the yak on the fulcrum.

jorluivil 02-11-2016 06:09 PM

Whatever you do make sure you get wheels that have bearings

makobob 02-11-2016 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Hill (Post 253415)
I made the cart from the Palmetto site, but instead of using the Harbor Freight wheels I used some low pressure sand wheels, it's much better that way

Yes Sir the Palmetto with wheeleez, works for BAJA beaches.

King Saba 02-11-2016 06:31 PM

I have the amazon pneumatic one. Got it off of ebay for a little cheaper. But, in the year that I've had it the tires have popped twice. It's cost me about 14 bucks to replace. It gets the job done though and is able to lug my stealth around when I fully load it which is usually close to 100lbs. If you're not handy and take forever to complete a DIY I'd go with it as the cart is so cheap you wouldn't care much if it got thrashed.

jorluivil 02-11-2016 06:45 PM

One other thing to consider is how easy it will be to breakdown the cart. I have a PA14 and have the wheelez cart with the big sand wheels, I hate walking to my truck to get my wheels after I land (beach or dock).

I usually breakdown the entire cart before launching; wheels and cross bars in the front hatch and frame strapped down behind the tank. Ounce I land I take everything out, put it together and walk the kayak to my truck.

RussH 02-11-2016 08:36 PM

I have that non-pneumatic amazon one. I like it so far. Not a ton of use but if fits inside my kayak which was my main reason for choosing it. goes on the sand ok but digs a little. Not saying it's the one but it seems good for the money and what I need it to do.

Harry Hill 02-12-2016 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 253429)
One other thing to consider is how easy it will be to breakdown the cart. I have a PA14 and have the wheelez cart with the big sand wheels, I hate walking to my truck to get my wheels after I land (beach or dock).

I usually breakdown the entire cart before launching; wheels and cross bars in the front hatch and frame strapped down behind the tank. Ounce I land I take everything out, put it together and walk the kayak to my truck.

when I built the DIY cart I put holes in the axle so I could use pin clips and washers to hold the wheels on, I can pull the wheels off in a second and store everything in the back of the yak.

octico 02-12-2016 07:52 AM

Bite the bullet and get one of these you will not regret it.

Wheeleez

TheBoyScout 02-12-2016 09:04 AM

I tried the DIY harbor freight method mentioned above and PVC broke and All those hours of drilling and stuff to waste. Just bite the bullet save time and money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raskal311 02-12-2016 11:36 AM

Non of those DIY look like they will hold up very well. Those vertical post looks like they would break easily in sand or even while trying to go over curvea. Probably ok im hard pack sand with lightly loaded yak.

Geno Machino 02-12-2016 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raskal311 (Post 253475)
Non of those DIY look like they will hold up very well. This vertical post looks like they would break easily in sand or even while trying to go over curvea. Probably ok im hard pack sand with lightly loaded yak.

I just put wood dowlings in the up right PVC. It not only strengthens it it also gives the unit more support.

Geno

Raskal311 02-12-2016 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geno Machino (Post 253476)
I just put wood dowlings in the up right PVC. It not only strengthens it it also gives the unit more support.

Geno

Great idea that would hold for sure.

alanw 02-12-2016 06:34 PM

For $32 on Amazon it's not even worth it to DIY a POS cart. I built my own because I have a welder so it's steel. Just buy one if you can't make a real one.

Jacurley45 02-13-2016 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanw (Post 253491)
For $32 on Amazon it's not even worth it to DIY a POS cart. I built my own because I have a welder so it's steel. Just buy one if you can't make a real one.

I'm fascinated that there is no one good answer! Anyway, I do have an access to a welding machine so I can build one. What plan did you used or you made I on your own? Picture?

Jacurley45 02-13-2016 06:05 AM

I could strengthen the cheap-ass amazon cart's critical points as long it isn't stainless steel as I don't have welder for that metal. Now, I'm leaning toward to Amazon's product since its cheap and don't have to deal as much with building. However, which is better via pneumatic or non-pneumatic? I can replace either wheels with beach wheels later on. Or am I better off just build my own via welding? If so, what plan I should try to copy or follow?

ronbo613 02-13-2016 08:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raskal311 (Post 253475)
Non of those DIY look like they will hold up very well. Those vertical post looks like they would break easily in sand or even while trying to go over curvea. Probably ok im hard pack sand with lightly loaded yak.

This kayak cart mentioned in the original post has been in regular use for more than ten years, all original parts are still used. It is still being used to transport a fully loaded kayak over the sharp rocks, and steep cliffs necessary to reach launch spots here in the Pacific Northwest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoyScout (Post 253458)
I tried the DIY harbor freight method mentioned above and PVC broke and All those hours of drilling and stuff to waste. Just bite the bullet save time and money

Unfortunately, for some people, a person working in a sweat shop in a third world country can do a better job, in that case, buy something off the internet.

TheBoyScout 02-13-2016 08:58 AM

Ha you're cool...
I just learned not to be a cheap ass...
Glad your hours of time aren't worth 32 bucks haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacurley45 02-13-2016 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronbo613 (Post 253503)
This kayak cart mentioned in the original post has been in regular use for more than ten years, all original parts are still used. It is still being used to transport a fully loaded kayak over the sharp rocks, and steep cliffs necessary to reach launch spots here in the Pacific Northwest.

Unfortunately, for some people, a person working in a sweat shop in a third world country can do a better job, in that case, buy something off the internet.

Impressive! ALL PVC? Or with wood dowels as support?

As for the 3rd world sweat shop employee, they can definitely do it better as it takes constant practice on the daily basis to perfecting the welding method! I can do it pretty well but not as good as I don't do it for a living.