Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Sd overnight prowler trip (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=31561)

Phishphood 07-20-2017 07:49 PM

Sd overnight prowler trip

Anyone have any experience with the prowler on an overnight trip? I think it's out of fisherman's landing. My buddy is planning a mini bachelor trip on it and I was hoping for a little intel.

Any suggestions regarding gear etc?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

CrazzyGar 07-20-2017 09:18 PM

Buzz is a Legit Captain and his crew is very good.

Take 25# to 40# rigs. No need for heavy setups since Buzz probably won't waist your time looking for Cow BFT. He'll just put you on fish YT, YFT and Dorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mahigeer 07-20-2017 09:28 PM

Parking is a problem.

Get a ride, taxi, Uber.

Phishphood 07-22-2017 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazzyGar (Post 283184)

Take 25# to 40# rigs. No need for heavy setups since Buzz probably won't waist your time looking for Cow BFT. He'll just put you on fish YT, YFT and Dorado.

Thanks guys. So should I just be looking at fly lining and maybe dropper if something goes wrong or should I be bringing the light and heavy tadys and butterfly jigs or megabaits?

Druko 07-22-2017 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phishphood (Post 283279)
Thanks guys. So should I just be looking at fly lining and maybe dropper if something goes wrong or should I be bringing the light and heavy tadys and butterfly jigs or megabaits?

Bring it all! They will tell you what's been working when you go on your trip.

Raskal311 07-23-2017 06:06 AM

only complaint from my last trip was the crew did an half ass job at processing the fish.

Raskal311 07-23-2017 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazzyGar (Post 283184)

Worst advice ever... bring it all including the kitchen shrink.

Phishphood 07-23-2017 07:50 AM

So would the usual 65# braid to 50# fluoro leader be ok on the heavier side on a 7' stick. And something like 25# mono on a lighter rig.

CrazzyGar 07-23-2017 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phishphood (Post 283293)
So would the usual 65# braid to 50# fluoro leader be ok on the heavier side on a 7' stick. And something like 25# mono on a lighter rig.

No Dropper Loop needed. Flyline or Flyline and add a Slip Shot 1/4 to 3/4 oz depending on size of bait and how deep the fish are.

You can take both surface or Yoyo Iron, even Colt Snipers.

Yes those setups with line are fine. Just need short Floro tipped on each one except the one you're using to toss Iron.

PapaDave 07-24-2017 06:43 AM

Good boat, good captain.

I'd bring 25#, 40# and 65# just in case. As on most overnight boats in the summer, space is at a premium on the boat, travel as light as you can.

Geno Machino 07-24-2017 07:59 AM

Call the landing and ask what tackel to bring...

Better yet, if you have the time , go down to the boat a day/evening or two before your trip and talk to the crew. As you know things can change overnight. I worked the boats for many many years, finally becoming the 2nd ticket on the RRIII. So if I was going I'd bring all spectra line and a variety of fluorocarbon spools of leader materials. Terminal tackle info you can get from the crew. I'd bring the flat falls - for sure. Bring one set up for the big boys...just in case. Hope this helps. Good luck!!!

Geno

Phishphood 07-24-2017 10:50 PM

Thanks guys. Stopped by the landing today for work and they said check back in Sept haha. But sounds like 3 setups should do the trick. 25# spectra to fluoro, 40# mono and 65/50# spectra/fluoro sounds doable. Hope my rods can handle it. None of them are super long except my 12-20# rods so casting on the boat might be an interesting experience.

Now... to figure out how to properly fish heavy metal....