Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Saltwater License (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=28673)

ewhitney60 04-01-2016 08:48 PM

Saltwater License

Do you guys have any idea the purpose behind the "2nd Rod" extension on a fishing license in the state of CA?

Does this mean I can only have one rod on my kayak?

Thanks,
Evan

HELLSTER INC. 04-01-2016 08:51 PM

You have to have 2nd rod stamp to fish 2 rods at a time!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

socal.beach.bum 04-01-2016 08:53 PM

Was told that 2 rod rule only applies to fresh water.

ewhitney60 04-01-2016 08:59 PM

Thanks Guys!

jorluivil 04-01-2016 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socal.beach.bum (Post 257505)
Was told that 2 rod rule only applies to fresh water.

Correct, it only applies to fresh water.

JeffB 04-01-2016 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can fish as many rods/ lines in saltwater as you want. However the second you put a ground fish on the boat (rockfish, lingcod, sculpin, cabezon, greenling) you're then restricted for the remainder of your trip to one Rod/ line w/ no more than two hooks. So I see it a lot, but no fly lining while rock fishing, or jigging while dropper looping!

There have been a few times fishing with my uncle when we have fly lines out and droppers hopping for a yellow and we wind up pulling up a big ole red and the question comes out from me "are you sure you wanna keep keep it"?!?!
It does not matter what your targeting unless it is ground fish. All multiple Rod fishing legally is supposed to come to a close when you decide to keep any of the given fish. It also mentions in the post that "Bays" fall into the regs. Anything with saltwater.

Only reason I know this is bc a few yrs back I discovered the Alabama rig and no one could give me an answer on how many hooks I could use with it. I only knew the fresh water regs. I called DFG and everything. I finally came across this after a cpl weeks of searching.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...umentID=116558

Mahigeer 04-02-2016 11:15 AM

To summarize what others said,

If where you fish (kayak, boat, float tube, shore, some docks, private pier) that requires a fishing license, there is no limit to how many rods you can use at the same time.

If no license is required (public pier, jetty) then only two rods or two hoop nets, or a rod and a hoop net in the water at the same time.

2nd rod stamp is for fresh water only.

For saltwater fishing, you need the Ocean Enhancement stamp in addition to the fishing license.

All of these apply to 16 years and older. For lobster hunting, everyone needs a lobster card.

Not too familiar to the rockfish regulations, so I leave that one alone.

Dave Legacy 04-02-2016 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 257508)
Correct, it only applies to fresh water.

This is not entirely accurate. I'm too busy at the moment to look it up, albeit not too busy to make this post, but I believe the regulation reads "inland waters" not "freshwater". This makes places like a bay a debatable area.

JeffB 04-02-2016 01:04 PM

Edit post

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffB (Post 257510)
You can fish as many rods/ lines in saltwater as you want. However the second you put a ground fish
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...umentID=116558

Look up above at my original post....

I hope this helps bc I see many break the rules. I'm not the guy who runs around trying to put people in place. Unless you're the dumbass throwing a cast net off the end of the boat dock at ski beach trying to catch bait, lol, dummy!

alanw 04-02-2016 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Legacy (Post 257534)
This is not entirely accurate. I'm too busy at the moment to look it up, albeit not too busy to make this post, but I believe the regulation reads "inland waters" not "freshwater". This makes places like a bay a debatable area.

Right, it says "inland waters" and not "freshwater". But, a look at the definition of "inland waters" shows that bays are not debatable and are safe to use multiple lines and hooks since they are not upstream from the mouths of coastal rivers.

1.53. INLAND WATERS.
Inland waters are all the fresh, brackish and inland saline waters of the state, including lagoons and tidewaters upstream from the mouths of coastal rivers and streams.

Dave Legacy 04-02-2016 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanw (Post 257546)
Right, it says "inland waters" and not "freshwater". But, a look at the definition of "inland waters" shows that bays are not debatable and are safe to use multiple lines and hooks since they are not upstream from the mouths of coastal rivers.

1.53. INLAND WATERS.
Inland waters are all the fresh, brackish and inland saline waters of the state, including lagoons and tidewaters upstream from the mouths of coastal rivers and streams.

Well that's good to know, thanks!