Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Stay safe out there!!!! (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=24786)

lambadmin 03-03-2015 06:50 AM

Stay safe out there!!!!

:(

http://abc13.com/news/search-suspend...eston-/540988/

ful-rac 03-03-2015 08:05 AM

Sad story...

I know I have said this before but I'll say it again. If you are a nooby, newbie, or just new. Get some experience before you attempt to go miles out into the ocean. I know they're are many of you that want to buy that kayak today and catch that yellowtail yesterday...but it's not worth your life, and it's not worth risking the life of the person that has to rescue you either.

momo fish 03-03-2015 08:19 AM

Horrible to hear and can easily happen here from LJ to Malibu.. Have seen conditions be bad enough to cause dangerous conditions even with a life vest..

Stay safe, always buddy up and don't risk it if conditions are suspect.

Jim Sammons LJKF 03-03-2015 08:24 AM

Wear your damn PFD every time you go out!!
Why the hell don't people learn. Why does this have to keep happening. I feel so bad for these families, the child that will not have a father. Wear your PFD ALWAYS!!

Silbaugh4liberty 03-03-2015 08:31 AM

Don't think there's yellowtail in Texas, and I bet it gets way sketchy in the Gulf this time of year. Imagine catching the back end of a hurricane! I caught the back end of a typhoon from Korea, back to Japan, and it's no joke. The ENTIRE boat was sea sick. I just kept taking sleeping pills, ate and drank nothing for those rough 22 hour ride.

Check those hurricane and wind reports Texas!

ful-rac 03-03-2015 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty (Post 220571)
Don't think there's yellowtail in Texas, and I bet it gets way sketchy in the Gulf this time of year. Imagine catching the back end of a hurricane! I caught the back end of a typhoon from Korea, back to Japan, and it's no joke. The ENTIRE boat was sea sick. I just kept taking sleeping pills, ate and drank nothing for those rough 22 hour ride.

Check those hurricane and wind reports Texas!

So there's no yellowtail in texas, so what's your point are you discounting what I'm saying?

Silbaugh4liberty 03-03-2015 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 220572)
So there's no yellowtail in texas, so what's your point are you discounting what I'm saying?

Just giving you a hard time. :p

ful-rac 03-03-2015 09:14 AM

"Experience" Just doesn't mean paddling and moving from point A to point B and back. It's knowing the area your fishing, the prevailing current and wind. Knowing the current weather conditions, being able to recognize when to call it a day and head back in when the conditions start to turn. Being fit enough to handle extreme weather conditions. Knowing how to re-enter your kayak if you go over.

This winter we have been blessed with overall good weather, easy launches and landings, and great fishing. Hopefully it will stay this way, but if we start to get some weather. Some of guys who just recently started and are fired up about catching rockfish or yellows need to slow your roll. I know it's tough for you to sit back and watch others catch yellows and other things...but for god sakes don't be that guy.

And Silbaugh, you were almost that guy up at county line. Good thing you caught your fish early and came in, otherwise you might of had to get rescued like the other guys.

blitzburgh 03-03-2015 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF (Post 220569)
Wear your damn PFD every time you go out!!
Why the hell don't people learn. Why does this have to keep happening. I feel so bad for these families, the child that will not have a father. Wear your PFD ALWAYS!!

This past Sunday morning I was about 20 miles from home when I realized I left the PFD in the garage. It was a no-brainer to turn around and get it.

Cbad Mike 03-03-2015 09:58 AM

Safety first. Fish second.
PFDs save lives.

bmercury 03-03-2015 10:01 AM

Yep. Always wear PFD with radio and rape whistle attached... And never an inflatable PFD.

By the time you need your PFD you are likely to be unconscious, experiencing a medical emergency/trauma or in a panic or otherwise unable to correctly put on your PFD.

And make sure its properly adjusted. I just about lost my PFD when I flipped.

wiredantz 03-03-2015 12:56 PM

Its a risk we all take, even if he was wearing his pfd, conditions get rough water is cold. It would have increased his chances of living for sure.

very sad news

bubblehide 03-03-2015 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmercury (Post 220585)
Yep. Always wear PFD with radio and rape whistle attached... A...

My apologies, I've been ignoring you blowing that thing all this time, and I will continue to do so. But hey, if that's what you want, it's all good, I'm not judgmental in that way.:D

momo fish 03-03-2015 04:08 PM

Speaking of safety just saw this great VHF on sale at WM..

Regular price at one point was 415 according to Amazon and WM had it for $299. Now it's marked down to $129. Has All features needed.. Floating, waterproof, 6 watt power, GPS for waypoints and most important a distress button!!!

Great deal on this unit which is being discontinued and replaced by newer model at m higher cost according to store rep.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0036E...diL&ref=plSrch

Mr Fishback 03-05-2015 09:07 AM

I was on the fence about buying a VHF w/GPS... just ordered one. My prayers go out to this family.

Pinhead 03-05-2015 09:31 AM

That is a great deal.....

I purchased a similar handheld for $179.....Lowrance Link-2 GPS waterproof, floating handheld. It interfaces with my Lowrance Mark 4 GPS and can dump waypoints....and has a distress button as well.

Regardless of which brand/model etc... having one is total piece of mind, as long as you keep it clipped on your PFD;-)

YakDout 03-05-2015 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinhead (Post 220795)
That is a great deal.....

I purchased a similar handheld for $179.....Lowrance Link-2 GPS waterproof, floating handheld. It interfaces with my Lowrance Mark 4 GPS and can dump waypoints....and has a distress button as well.

Regardless of which brand/model etc... having one is total piece of mind, as long as you keep it clipped on your PFD;-)

I agree with keeping the radio attached to your PFD. It can't be that hard to get separated from your boat in those conditions. If your kayak sinks, or gets blown away, well your last chance of communication goes with it. Almost pointless to bring the radio out unless it's tethered to your body.