Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   New Custom Bass Rod (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=12620)

JeffB 02-18-2012 01:23 AM

New Custom Bass Rod

4 Attachment(s)
Just finished building a new bass rod. It has a very nice custom wrap and cool custom reel seat. This rod is a sure beauty. Asking $150. I 13 hours into this rod. She is ready to be fished come tomorrow when she finishes drying. :reel:Attachment 5730

Attachment 5731

Attachment 5732

Attachment 5733

jorluivil 02-18-2012 01:51 AM

Just curious.

What's the average start-up cost on rod building equipment? I've always been interested but have never really dug into the details.

fishinkid2010 02-18-2012 02:20 AM

Beautiful looking rod, I like that cross wrap!

Its an expensive habit, that's for sure. I personally have at least 1k invested in it. But on the other side of things, I have also saved myself some coin, and I have all green and gold custom bass rods with the Baylor logo. You can however start off with a hand wrapper for cheap, and get set up with epoxy, thread, blank, grips, guides, and reel seat for under $150. It can be as cheap as you want it, but once you decide to get into it though, you'll find yourself buying more tools, and higher end parts. Heck, I still remember I dropped $110 at Squidco on a set of guides alone.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. And by far the best tool is the rod building forum on bloodydecks.

William Novotny 02-18-2012 06:59 AM

I think I just witnessed a hijacking

bus kid 02-18-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 107740)
Just curious.

What's the average start-up cost on rod building equipment? I've always been interested but have never really dug into the details.

You know what they say " if you gotta ask...." :D

Jeff nice work on the wrap. whats the stats on the rod?

JeffB 02-18-2012 12:31 PM

Thanks. It is 7' med/hvy rated 10-20lb. It has a light tip on it.

It cost me about $400 to do my first rod. You're looking at $230 up for a power wrapper. Yeah between me and my buddy, we have about $2k in stuff right now. Its funny bc he bought two sets of guides that rang up at $206

lowprofile 02-18-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffB (Post 107777)
Thanks. It is 7' med/hvy rated 10-20lb. It has a light tip on it.

It cost me about $400 to do my first rod. You're looking at $230 up for a power wrapper. Yeah between me and my buddy, we have about $2k in stuff right now. Its funny bc he bought two sets of guides that rang up at $206

SICs will do that. nice work! i have no need for another bass rod but will you wrap for people?

JeffB 02-18-2012 06:38 PM

Yeah, if you need a rod for something else, I am the man. I am currently wrapping a super seeker for a buddy of mine for YT.

jorluivil 02-18-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bus kid (Post 107753)
You know what they say " if you gotta ask

.......you're to lazy to do the research yourself"

T Bone 02-19-2012 11:20 AM

4 Attachment(s)
beautiful rod.

Jorge,I have a hand wrapper,Rod dryer, and lots of threads if you would like to borrow it.I would not recommend going out and dumping coin on a power wrapper first time around.I have wrapped about 7 rods total all for function over asthetics but they still looked good.the last rod I re-wrapped was my Grandfathers calcutta.

T Bone 02-19-2012 11:25 AM

Calcutta CANE btw not shimano.Thats his name on the butt wrap,That long stretch of white took a while,wish I had a powerwrapper for that one.

I still need to hand a fish on it.

Brian Sanner 02-19-2012 04:56 PM

I've wrapped a few rods in my time, and never had a power wrapper. I went the cheap route and got the foot pedal and sewing machine motor. I had a friend with a machine shop that machined me a cup that fit into the motor and drilled and tapped some holes (3) in the cup for chucking up the butt of the rod, worked great. The drying motor on the other hand was a pain. Used to use a Big Boy rotisserie motor but really needed something a little more continuous duty.

Nice job on the rod, really looks good.

Hunters Pa 02-20-2012 08:00 AM

Great job! I'm still learning. Great hobby to scratch the itch when you can't get on the water. I have a power wrapper but find myself using my old setup. Don't want to threadjack, but for those interested in a simple, inexpensive setup to get started here you go:

http://www.kayaksportfishing.com/php...hlight=rolling