Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   DIY fish stringer clip (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=28882)

pingpangdang 04-21-2016 07:43 PM

DIY fish stringer clip

3 Attachment(s)
For those that don't want to spend the 15 or 20 dollars for a fish stringer clip. ..

I made one from an aluminum rod from home depot for around 3 bucks...

All I used was a scrap 2x4, a pocket hole clamp laying around, football and a hammer. I clamped the rod to the 2x4 then hammered out the sharp bends. Used a football to get the bottom bend.

Took less than 20 minutes.

Used it on some big yellows dunking them for a cleaning after bleeding.

I don't have fancy tools...I'm sure there are easier ways.

Doesn't rust, strong, cheap and something to do when the conditions are too rough to head out.Attachment 18881Attachment 18882Attachment 18884

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

jorluivil 04-21-2016 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pingpangdang (Post 259346)
For those that don't want to spend the 15 or 20 dollars for a fish stringer clip. ..

I can give you 20 reasons why

My aluminum stringer

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/56zpo6ADjbI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pingpangdang 04-21-2016 08:31 PM

Nice video. ..i haven't hooked an hb yet.

Good enough for the yellows I've caught. I don't use a gaff and for the yellows I just hand pull them in. The clip I made makes it easier to maneuver the fish in and out the water once closed.

I would like to experiment with a fish gripper for hbs. .. I've got pretty strong arms so I would think the gripper would end up breaking or the hbs jaw would go. I'd try to keep his head pinned to the yack with his tail down.

Haven't seen any videos with someone trying it...only one way to find out for those things. Of course I'd keep it head out of the water only until the jujitsu grip taps him out via exhaustion then I'd go for the ko.

I've seen people gaff them and lose their gaff still stuck in the fish...but I've also seen people have a hard time gaffing yellowtail when they are pretty easy to pull up by hand the first try.

thx for the video

taggermike 04-22-2016 07:33 AM

I'm still using 2 stringers I made maybe a decade ago out of stainless steel rings 4 feet of rope, and a piece of bamboo. Ive planned on getting game clips but the old strongers keep working. Mike

Murray 04-22-2016 08:31 AM

very cool. way to save some $. keep it up and you will be able to live comfortably when you get older.

tstephens3232 04-22-2016 09:21 AM

Do you have a picture.

Quote:

Originally Posted by taggermike (Post 259381)
I'm still using 2 stringers I made maybe a decade ago out of stainless steel rings 4 feet of rope, and a piece of bamboo. Ive planned on getting game clips but the old strongers keep working. Mike

maquinapescado 04-22-2016 10:02 AM

SS game clips are less than $20................not worth my time.

pingpangdang 04-22-2016 10:17 AM

Quote:

Heck yeah. ..and you could put more than one yt on it. I'll probably revert back to something like this.

speaking of rope I've been studying videos from the northwest on how they catch and release 200 lb halibut. The tail lasso technique is used. I might rig up a lasso pole if I meet up with a nice one...

Geno Machino 04-22-2016 12:47 PM

Quote:

What's the bamboo for Mike?

Geno

GregAndrew 04-22-2016 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pingpangdang (Post 259402)
Heck yeah. ..and you could put more than one yt on it. I'll probably revert back to something like this.

speaking of rope I've been studying videos from the northwest on how they catch and release 200 lb halibut. The tail lasso technique is used. I might rig up a lasso pole if I meet up with a nice one...

Pleeeeeease get it on film!

pingpangdang 04-22-2016 04:15 PM

Probably go viral getting my butt wooped by a but...If I'm lucky enough to hook one bwe will be the first to enjoy the laughs :)