Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Kayak cherry popped (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=13755)

JNAST13ST 05-27-2012 08:16 AM

Kayak cherry popped

So finally got on the water with the yak for the first time, I was so excited and met up with darth at shelter island. We geared up and set off to the bait barge filled up my new vittle to just fish the bay. After about 20 mins of fishing I look up and my unused rod was tangled up so I devoted to try to just stand up and undo the tangle bad idea. Got hit by a little wave lost my balance and fell in the water. I ruined my iPhone lost my lighter and got my smokes wet. I got a huge bite right after that that snapped my lone after 10 minutes or so. After report... Came home tired, sunburnt and no fish lol, I'll get em next time good expeirence for my next trip. :kayak-surfer:

echo1er 05-27-2012 09:24 AM

I like your determination. Don't worry some of us had those days.

slobslayer 05-27-2012 09:33 AM

Sounds like fun ha. I always put my phone and wallet in a waterproof case and stow it away, at least you didn't flip your kayak

wbrewski 05-27-2012 10:16 AM

[QUOTE=JNAST13ST;119688]So finally got on the water with the yak for the first time, I was so excited and met up with darth at shelter island. We geared up and set off to the bait barge filled up my new vittle to just fish the bay. After about 20 mins of fishing I look up and my unused rod was tangled up so I devoted to try to just stand up and undo the tangle bad idea. Got hit by a little wave lost my balance and fell in the water. I ruined my iPhone lost my lighter and got my smokes wet. I got a huge bite right after that that snapped my lone after 10 minutes or so. After report... Came home tired, sunburnt and no fish lol, I'll get em next time good expeirence for my next trip. :kayak-surfer:[/QUOTE

What kind of kayak did you try and stand up in??:linesnap:

DarthFisherman 05-27-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JNAST13ST (Post 119688)
So finally got on the water with the yak for the first time, I was so excited and met up with darth at shelter island. We geared up and set off to the bait barge filled up my new vittle to just fish the bay. After about 20 mins of fishing I look up and my unused rod was tangled up so I devoted to try to just stand up and undo the tangle bad idea. Got hit by a little wave lost my balance and fell in the water. I ruined my iPhone lost my lighter and got my smokes wet. I got a huge bite right after that that snapped my lone after 10 minutes or so. After report... Came home tired, sunburnt and no fish lol, I'll get em next time good expeirence for my next trip. :kayak-surfer:

Even though we got skunked and you fell in the water, it was still a good time. Many more to come no doubt, but next time we will actual catch our target species. Although, you did catch the world's largest lizard fish!

mark kleiter 05-27-2012 10:45 AM

Waterproof your important stuff. I reached for a used pack of smokes a few years back, flipped of LJ and lost 2 rods, ruined my phone, and a new pack of smokes. Lesson learned. Keep things secured and important "non waterproof" stuff safe. The fishing will make up for those bad days.:banghead:

JNAST13ST 05-27-2012 10:50 AM

[QUOTE=wbrewski;119697]
Quote:

So finally got on the water with the yak for the first time, I was so excited and met up with darth at shelter island. We geared up and set off to the bait barge filled up my new vittle to just fish the bay. After about 20 mins of fishing I look up and my unused rod was tangled up so I devoted to try to just stand up and undo the tangle bad idea. Got hit by a little wave lost my balance and fell in the water. I ruined my iPhone lost my lighter and got my smokes wet. I got a huge bite right after that that snapped my lone after 10 minutes or so. After report... Came home tired, sunburnt and no fish lol, I'll get em next time good expeirence for my next trip. :kayak-surfer:[/QUOTE

What kind of kayak did you try and stand up in??:linesnap:

X factor

DanaPT 05-27-2012 11:56 AM

stand-up?

The x-factor is stable, but standing? That's pretty ballsy!

I feel comfortable standing and paddling my x-factor like a SUP, but i'm paying 100% attention.

Try one of these for the phone. http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CNQBEPMCMAA

CheapPelican 05-27-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

...After about 20 mins of fishing I look up and my unused rod was tangled up so I devoted to try to just stand up and undo the tangle bad idea...

You could pull it from the rod holder, lay the butt end on your bow and have two hands free to deal with the tangle. Some times its just better to cut the line and start over. Get used to tying knots in the swell.

jorluivil 05-27-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheapPelican (Post 119712)
You could pull it from the rod holder, lay the butt end on your bow and have two hands free to deal with the tangle. Some times its just better to cut the line and start over. Get used to tying knots in the swell.

that's exactly what I do.

I always fish two rods, if they get tangled and I notice its a cluster fk the first thing I do is grab the sinkers, remove them, cut both lines off from the rods, cut the main line at the swivels, untangle, re-tie. Most of the time it takes longer to try and figure out what lines goes through the loop that goes under the knot that's tied around the swivel that has a piece of kelp wrapped in it............its your first time, learn from your mistakes.

You're describing the first kayak trip for 99.99% of us:D

William Novotny 05-27-2012 02:13 PM

I took a dive off my xfactor today trying to stand in the boat wakes. I was paddling with my girl for fun since we picked up a mini x for her. No gear to lose and it was a good time to practice self rescue. Fun fun fun

slobslayer 05-27-2012 02:16 PM

I hate tangles so a quick fix on the kayak is to just tie a clip swivel that you can clip the weight on and off easily without retying, also you can quickly change weights to a smaller or bigger size. Also prevents headaches from getting smacked by a 5ounce in the back of the head.

JNAST13ST 05-27-2012 10:08 PM

Yeah I need to get a anchor too the drift was crazy lol just built a rod holder today with scraps in the garage I'll put up some picks soon

jsigone 05-27-2012 11:52 PM

either way you still got on the water, sun burned and made sure you kayak worked well and found its limits. Aloe gel works well for burns, more water time will increase those fish counts soon but sometimes the bite is just slow. I Picked up some dry boxes at walmart for pretty cheap $6-10 for my battery, plastics/light tackle and one for my phone, & another for my car keys and wallet that is stowed away below decks.

JNAST13ST 05-28-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsigone (Post 119787)
either way you still got on the water, sun burned and made sure you kayak worked well and found its limits. Aloe gel works well for burns, more water time will increase those fish counts soon but sometimes the bite is just slow. I Picked up some dry boxes at walmart for pretty cheap $6-10 for my battery, plastics/light tackle and one for my phone, & another for my car keys and wallet that is stowed away below decks.

lol I had my iphone in rice over the weekend it turns on now just waiting for it to charge to see if it still works. Thank you Jasmin Rice!!!:luxhello:

DarthFisherman 05-28-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JNAST13ST (Post 119807)
lol I had my iphone in rice over the weekend it turns on now just waiting for it to charge to see if it still works. Thank you Jasmin Rice!!!:luxhello:

Nice!

YakNutz 05-28-2012 10:25 AM

I have defintaly had some similar days, I got sunburned so bad one time my knees swelled up the size of melons and I peeled for 3 weeks...learned my lesson that day.

scoop 05-29-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 119719)
that's exactly what I do.

You're describing the first kayak trip for 99.99% of us:D

I thought I was in the 0.01%, I caught a nice WSB first time out. Only problem is I have been screwing up every trip since then :)

Jimmyz123 05-29-2012 11:10 AM

X-factors are stable but not that stable. Lessons learned while on the water are so priceless. I be you won't be standing up again. I think I read someone post up that for your weight to use a snap swivel. That is a great idea. Also learn how to turn sideways on your yak, and even possible turn fully backward, keep you balance centered while doing these things it will keep you dry.

I wish I could have joined you guys Saturday but my wife wasn't feeling well and I thought it was going to be raining.

Looking forward to hooking up with you guys soon.

JNAST13ST 05-29-2012 02:52 PM

Went to LJ today got 3 huge bites but no reward my 50lb braid snapped twice wtf. I had fun though and I didn't get smashed coming in. LJ will see me again.