Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Cabrillo beach launch (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=35934)

socal.beach.bum 11-27-2020 11:18 AM

Cabrillo beach launch

Anyone every beach launch from Cabrillo instead of using the bait ramp. If so do you know if we are allowed to drive into the beach to load and unload your kayak? Thanks

jruiz 11-27-2020 02:36 PM

I don't think you're allowed to drive in the sand there if that's what you mean. Most of it is pretty soft anyways.

socal.beach.bum 11-27-2020 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jruiz (Post 311806)
I don't think you're allowed to drive in the sand there if that's what you mean. Most of it is pretty soft anyways.

Yeah that’s what I was asking. I have a 4x4 trucks built for overlanding so not too worried about the soft sand, but oh well.

GregAndrew 11-29-2020 02:40 PM

Generally when I have launched there, I park on the street outside the lot and wheel my yak down the ramp on the West side of the beach. It is a haul to get back up it with a load though. You can also park inside the paid parking at the small lot on the East end of the beach. But make sure you have sand wheels for that, and the launch is a bit sportier over there usually.

socal.beach.bum 11-29-2020 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregAndrew (Post 311823)
Generally when I have launched there, I park on the street outside the lot and wheel my yak down the ramp on the West side of the beach. It is a haul to get back up it with a load though. You can also park inside the paid parking at the small lot on the East end of the beach. But make sure you have sand wheels for that, and the launch is a bit sportier over there usually.

Even with sand wheels lugging a PA across any stretch of sand is not fun. Especially at my age

SoCalEDC 11-30-2020 07:12 AM

Can not drive on the beach there from what I know, but you can launch on either side pretty safely (inside and outside)

Zed 12-01-2020 10:02 AM

At one of the foggy Baytuber tourneys Cabo and I launched at the ramp and creeped across to portage over and launch at Cabrillo beach. Once in a lifetime thing. Just so I could answer one of those "has anyone ever" posts I guess.
Would not reccomend the portage approach.

jorluivil 12-02-2020 10:24 AM

You cannot drive onto the beach but you can park pretty close to the launch on the beachside, if I launch from the beach I park in the stalls that are right next to the shack/gate.

when you walk your kayak towards the beach stay slightly to the right, there is a small drop off on the left side (right side of the building) right where the grass meets the sand.

the last time that I launched from there it went pretty smooth, made bait in no time. I drifted and fished from just outside the beach all the way to Angels Gate. Make sure you pay attention to the winds, they usually start around 10 am and they can get pretty nasty.

good luck!!

socal.beach.bum 12-02-2020 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 311857)
You cannot drive onto the beach but you can park pretty close to the launch on the beachside, if I launch from the beach I park in the stalls that are right next to the shack/gate.

when you walk your kayak towards the beach stay slightly to the right, there is a small drop off on the left side (right side of the building) right where the grass meets the sand.

the last time that I launched from there it went pretty smooth, made bait in no time. I drifted and fished from just outside the beach all the way to Angels Gate. Make sure you pay attention to the winds, they usually start around 10 am and they can get pretty nasty.

good luck!!

Thanks George, very helpful.

whereubinh 12-03-2020 09:15 AM

I'll be pretty interested to test launch in this area if you like some company. Typically free weekends. LMK!
-Binh

tak100 12-05-2020 04:17 PM

I have fished Cabrillo pretty hard over the last couple of years. I have an outback so the drag across the sand is not so bad but I park right where the breakwater ends. I think it is the shortest distance to the water.

Really good bass fishery off the point.

Map at the end of this thread:
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...light=cabrillo

theluckypig 12-09-2020 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tak100 (Post 311922)
I have fished Cabrillo pretty hard over the last couple of years. I have an outback so the drag across the sand is not so bad but I park right where the breakwater ends. I think it is the shortest distance to the water.

Really good bass fishery off the point.

Map at the end of this thread:
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...light=cabrillo

i've launched my pa17 solo, and tandem at the same point. you just take a short walk to load and unload your kayak at the water's edge... your parked car is about 100 ft from the launch. very accessible.

socal.beach.bum 12-09-2020 09:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I’m guessing you all are referring to this spot I circled?

theluckypig 12-09-2020 09:46 AM

yup. that's it!

socal.beach.bum 12-09-2020 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theluckypig (Post 311956)
yup. that's it!

Thanks. Probably going to go give it a go with my PA 14 this Sunday.