Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Share Your Innovations (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=6394)

cabojohn 02-13-2017 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaPT (Post 271720)
I have a sherwood gaf (made from real wood) that does float. My guess on the graphite is that they will fill with water and sink.

NOPE-
I now fill the composite shafts with expanding foam...they float. :)

Deamon 02-13-2017 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey John!

Where's the blue one???

Never mind...I got that one!!! Hahahahaha!!!

Jim

Iceman 02-14-2017 09:59 AM

Win one!

Cabo dropped off 2 of these custom Slap Shot Gaffs for the Mission Bay Classic Raffle. :luxhello:

Batmann 02-25-2017 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabojohn (Post 275302)
^
I didn't make them...purchased from Hockey Giant / Hockey Monkey.
They sell them for about $7. They are pre made. Glue on w/ hot water.
Different colors, sizes & lengths.
I'm sure you could use them on any gaff / shaft.
:cheers1:

I use regular friction tape to make my grips like the guy in this video. The types of grips are great on a lot of different things.

https://youtu.be/j_mCK7WEOuk

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

kirkdavis 02-28-2017 10:36 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2fd0df2623.jpgPicked up an older Hobie Mirage for a extra yak when relatives or friends are visiting so I needed something more than sawhorses. Got my basic idea from online, but made one thing different from any I saw. I put the plywood under the bottom frame which gives me more storage and prevents things from falling out. $150 for all the material fro HD and about 3-4 hours labor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigTunaL 03-30-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modigity (Post 267519)
Made a bait tank out of a Marine Cooler and copied the workings of the hobie bait tank using the scuppers for water intake and drain. I chose this cooler since it fits snug in the back of the Pro Angler and already had knotches I can put the bungie cords. I also rigged a stadium seat to the back and works perfect for passengers.

Hello Modigity, I am going to duplicate your design :you_rock:
how did you fasten the pvc pipe inside the cooler that shoots water out? where did you get the priming pump? did you put a mesh/strainer at the end of the intake pvc pipe? what about check valves? did you use any?

Thank you

NICKWORN 05-15-2017 07:44 AM

Transducer mount for older Hobies

3 Attachment(s)
So I got this idea from a local kayaker here in SD.. Dylan Pierce. It's a conduit and a few pvc fittings. Using my Hook 5 Transducer in the duct seal application seemed to be hampering my readings. So I gave this a try.

Took the conduit and some pvc fittings to make this water tight floating transducer mount. My transducer fit snug on the inside and now sets in water without the interference of anything except the actually hull itself. Going to be trialing it this weekend but when testing in garage I was actually able to here the transducers ping as I couldn't before when placed in a pancake of duct seal
I also placed the transducer right under my center hatch for easy access if somehow the water would need to be refilled.

I can't seem to think why this wouldn't be the best option beside having a newer hobie with the prefab transducer mount.

All in all $15, marine goop and conduit being the bulk of the price.

P.S. I used marine goop on the bottom edge to seal and then the left over duct seal I pulled from old application to reinforce the conduit to the yak for those bumpy road trips and swells.

Thoughts?

dsafety 05-15-2017 08:05 AM

That is a very elegant solution for a water mount. In my experience, the seal to the hull eventually fails and the water leaks out. Your design may not have that problem because you have attached the housing to a spot that does not appear to have much flex or curvature.

Should the seal ever fail, you might consider replacing the water with marine grease. It transmits the signal as well as water and will not leak out even if the kayak is stored upside down for months at a time.

jruiz 05-15-2017 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NICKWORN (Post 279499)
So I got this idea from a local kayaker here in SD.. Dylan Pierce. It's a conduit and a few pvc fittings. Using my Hook 5 Transducer in the duct seal application seemed to be hampering my readings. So I gave this a try.

Took the conduit and some pvc fittings to make this water tight floating transducer mount. My transducer fit snug on the inside and now sets in water without the interference of anything except the actually hull itself. Going to be trialing it this weekend but when testing in garage I was actually able to here the transducers ping as I couldn't before when placed in a pancake of duct seal
I also placed the transducer right under my center hatch for easy access if somehow the water would need to be refilled.

I can't seem to think why this wouldn't be the best option beside having a newer hobie with the prefab transducer mount.

All in all $15, marine goop and conduit being the bulk of the price.

P.S. I used marine goop on the bottom edge to seal and then the left over duct seal I pulled from old application to reinforce the conduit to the yak for those bumpy road trips and swells.

Thoughts?

So before you had hull, duct seal, then transducer. Now you have hull, duct seal, conduit, some water, then transducer. I'm having a hard time convincing myself that it's better. I think the next best thing to a transducer ready setup is a transducer mounted to the hull with a container around the transducer that you fill with water. What material is that conduit? Looks like painted/epoxied steel.

NICKWORN 05-15-2017 08:21 AM

Huh

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jruiz (Post 279501)
So before you had hull, duct seal, then transducer. Now you have hull, duct seal, conduit, some water, then transducer. I'm having a hard time convincing myself that it's better. I think the next best thing to a transducer ready setup is a transducer mounted to the hull with a container around the transducer that you fill with water. What material is that conduit? Looks like painted/epoxied steel.

The conduit is plastic, not sure what kind, but the marine goop is only on the bottom edge of the conduit( which has the bottom taken off ), and the duct seal is only used in the edges of the outside so there is nothing interfering with the pinging of the transducer besides the plastic hull of the kayak! Not sure what you are talking about maybe u missed understood my description.

jruiz 05-15-2017 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NICKWORN (Post 279502)
The conduit is plastic, not sure what kind, but the marine goop is only on the bottom edge of the conduit( which has the bottom taken off ), and the duct seal is only used in the edges of the outside so there is nothing interfering with the pinging of the transducer besides the plastic hull of the kayak! Not sure what you are talking about maybe u missed understood my description.

I see, I mistakenly assumed that the transducer was fully enclosed in the conduit.

NICKWORN 05-15-2017 09:46 AM

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jruiz (Post 279506)
I see, I mistakenly assumed that the transducer was fully enclosed in the conduit.

Yea I thought so. :cheers1:

NICKWORN 06-11-2017 03:48 PM

Tackle Storage for older model Outbacks

3 Attachment(s)
I saw this on Hobie Outback FB page and had to have it. It's the tackle storage for the square hatch, but older model outbacks don't have deck space for this upgrade. So instead of storing everything in a tackle bag in your front hatch... boom easy access!

I used a rod holder bungee from Walmart to strap the tackle boxes down in case I role in the surf.

Hunters Pa 06-12-2017 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NICKWORN (Post 280987)
I saw this on Hobie Outback FB page and had to have it. It's the tackle storage for the square hatch, but older model outbacks don't have deck space for this upgrade. So instead of storing everything in a tackle bag in your front hatch... boom easy access!

I used a rod holder bungee from Walmart to strap the tackle boxes down in case I role in the surf.

Not a bad idea, but doesn't that limit how far forward you can push the pedals, especially if you need to bring the fins flush with the bottom of the yak?

goldenglory18 06-12-2017 07:48 AM

Cool idea. Do you have a link to the plastic holder?

kirkdavis 06-19-2017 04:24 PM

Game Bag Idea

I can't pry my wallet open to buy a game bag so have been thinking of alternatives. I plan on making one out of the insulating bubble wrap, the kind with the aluminum foil coating. A 2' x 25' roll is only $17 on Amazon. That and a little duct tape will make at least 3 bags, and I figure they could be used at least a few times each before they fall apart. At the rate I catch big fish I should be able to give two bags to my kids in my will.

FullFlavorPike 06-19-2017 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirkdavis (Post 281481)
I can't pry my wallet open to buy a game bag so have been thinking of alternatives. I plan on making one out of the insulating bubble wrap, the kind with the aluminum foil coating. A 2' x 25' roll is only $17 on Amazon. That and a little duct tape will make at least 3 bags, and I figure they could be used at least a few times each before they fall apart. At the rate I catch big fish I should be able to give two bags to my kids in my will.

I also have thought about making one. I feel like you could sew a nice pouch out of an old wetsuit by doubling up the layers of neoprene. Would get HELLA stinky though.

NICKWORN 06-19-2017 08:34 PM

Nope

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunters Pa (Post 281018)
Not a bad idea, but doesn't that limit how far forward you can push the pedals, especially if you need to bring the fins flush with the bottom of the yak?

On setting 6 or less ur fine, so if your tall the. Yea it would!

NICKWORN 06-19-2017 08:36 PM

Hobie tackle system

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenglory18 (Post 281019)
Cool idea. Do you have a link to the plastic holder?

Just google it, I'm sure Andy has some as well.

Mr. NiceGuy 06-26-2017 08:18 PM

I saw the plastic racks for holding Plano tackle boxes at Fastlane on Sunday.

Here they are on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Hobie-Tackle-...anagement+rack

I'm tempted to replace my round hatch with a rectangular hatch, but the hatch kit replacement is about $115 and the rectangular bucket to drop inside is another $26 or so.

Rectangular hatch:
https://www.amazon.com/Hobie-RECTANG...tangular+hatch

Rectangular drop-in bucket:
http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...d=12538_1591_1

$140 is kind of steep for 50% more space than my round hatch bucket, but it would help, and the shape is more useful for things like pliars