Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   San Diego Bay all you can catch pancakes (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=18623)

Cadillyak 06-26-2013 12:30 PM

San Diego Bay all you can catch pancakes

3 Attachment(s)
Monday June 24:
Should of known it was going to be a good day when I accidentally ran into a couple doing their thing at 3:45am in their black BMW where I typically launch. Sorry for the interruption, I just wanna get out on the water. LOL. So after they realized that I was gonna be there for a while and they would have to find another spot to continue their mission, off they went. BTW, your old lady forgot her shoes in the rush.:doh:

Well like I said in a previous post, I wanted to peddle out at LJ for my bday, but had no takers, so off to the big bay I went. Was a beautiful morning, seeing as how I launched at like 4am. Just wanted to have a nice peddle to the bait barge, pick up some live bait, and try my luck solo. First scoop was dines. I figured go big or go home. I drifted for the next two hours and had a few raked baits and 1 come unbuttoned for my efforts.

It was starting to look like I was gonna get skunked for my bday. Not a chance. Went back to the barge, picked up a scoop of anchovies and it was on like donkey kong. The quality wasn't there, but the numbers sure were. For the next 7-8 hours I drifted and absolutley hammered the fish. I actually had to go and get another scoop of anchovies. I couldn't keep a rod in the water. Good times and a great bday. Got home to watch my hawks win the stanley cup. All in all a great day. I have more

Final count was:
17 halibut, 3 being legal 22in,23in,23in. Legal is legal
12 smooth hound sharks
4 mackrel
4 rays
1 sandie
1 shovelnose

...I kept the shovelnose because I have a buddy that is a chef and he has been dying to get his hands on one. To each their own.

Tight lines,

Cadillyak

Raskal311 06-26-2013 12:51 PM

Nice!

easyday 06-26-2013 01:14 PM

Very nice day indeed

makobob 06-26-2013 01:22 PM

Nice day indeed! Good eating too!

wbrewski 06-26-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadillyak (Post 161402)
Monday June 24:
Should of known it was going to be a good day when I accidentally ran into a couple doing their thing at 3:45am in their black BMW where I typically launch. Sorry for the interruption, I just wanna get out on the water. LOL. So after they realized that I was gonna be there for a while and they would have to find another spot to continue their mission, off they went. BTW, your old lady forgot her shoes in the rush.:doh:

Well like I said in a previous post, I wanted to peddle out at LJ for my bday, but had no takers, so off to the big bay I went. Was a beautiful morning, seeing as how I launched at like 4am. Just wanted to have a nice peddle to the bait barge, pick up some live bait, and try my luck solo. First scoop was dines. I figured go big or go home. I drifted for the next two hours and had a few raked baits and 1 come unbuttoned for my efforts.

It was starting to look like I was gonna get skunked for my bday. Not a chance. Went back to the barge, picked up a scoop of anchovies and it was on like donkey kong. The quality wasn't there, but the numbers sure were. For the next 7-8 hours I drifted and absolutley hammered the fish. I actually had to go and get another scoop of anchovies. I couldn't keep a rod in the water. Good times and a great bday. Got home to watch my hawks win the stanley cup. All in all a great day. I have more

Final count was:
17 halibut, 3 being legal 22in,23in,23in. Legal is legal
12 smooth hound sharks
4 mackrel
4 rays
1 sandie
1 shovelnose

...I kept the shovelnose because I have a buddy that is a chef and he has been dying to get his hands on one. To each their own.

Tight lines,

Cadillyak

What does the bait barge charge for a kayak scoop down there?:linesnap:

silentsmell 06-26-2013 02:38 PM

Happy birthday! Did you have a good halibut dinner?

roadx 06-26-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbrewski (Post 161416)
What does the bait barge charge for a kayak scoop down there?:linesnap:

$10.00 for a kayak scoop

steveooo 06-26-2013 03:20 PM

Got any more pics of the shovel nose? Any chance it had big jagged teeth? Angel shark?

captnblood34 06-26-2013 04:16 PM

That angel shark in the back of your truck appears to be an angel shark and not a "shovel nose" guitar fish.

wbrewski 06-26-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadx (Post 161420)
$10.00 for a kayak scoop

Thanks for the info and very nice fish for a birthday present.:luxhello:

Cadillyak 06-26-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captnblood34 (Post 161434)
That angel shark in the back of your truck appears to be an angel shark and not a "shovel nose" guitar fish.

After looking at a few pics, I'm torn. There were no teeth, and mouth was located under the fish but the blunt nose looks like an angel. I can totally see what you mean. Thanks to all for the kind words. Had a great bday and a halibut dinner for myself the wife and little ones. All in all a really good day.

Aaron&Julie 06-26-2013 09:14 PM

WTG

They post a size limit for a reason. At least one chance at procreation during a fishes life cycle. Nice haul, good eats, and congratulations.

Cadillyak 06-26-2013 09:27 PM

Indeed. I hooked several that taped out at 20-21 1/2. Just glad I didn't sink a gaff in them. The three I did gaff were no doubt 22+. I did come close at 22 3/4 but all is good. Just need to catch 30+'s now so there's no ?'s

Aaron&Julie 06-26-2013 11:02 PM

No tickets, please

Here, here, Cadillyak. But, I think most kayak fishermen/women, or non-kayak people would say, don't sink a gaff into a fish if you have doubts as to whether it's rather close to being legal. As in, you should truly believe it is 25 inches or greater. 23" is too close for such a valuable resource. No worries, but keep it in mind, that 22.5, 23, or even a 24 incher, you DON'T stick the gaff in, as it will be 8lbs the next time you catch it. Besides, and ESPECIALLY, when fishing for 'buts, you are supposed to have a net. Actually, at all times, you are, but, the DFG will probably cut you some slack in open waters, like La Jolla. Food for thought. Tight lines, and go catch some more. We'll probably see you off of L.J. someday.
Aaron

Baja_Traveler 06-27-2013 06:23 AM

In high school I made a hobby of wading the flats down at the entrance to Fiesta Island bowfishing stingrays and such. One day I shot a nice shovelnose and brought it home. All the meat is in the tail, and it yielded really nice steaks. I put them in the smoker and they came out looking beautiful, but the meat was so oily it was near inedible. The taste was good, but the oil was just too much to overcome. Maybe if your chef friend worked up a brine to soak the meat in and leach out most of the oil it would be a really good tasting fish.

mtnbykr2 06-27-2013 07:25 AM

A freezer full is a freezer full, congrats on what sounds like a great day...:reel:

Aaron&Julie 06-27-2013 07:47 AM

In 1984, while living in my car for 3 months (worked "The Charger" albie boat, for a while), I caught a shovelnose in SD bay. A couple I met that day, had some wine, and I cooked some filets right there on the spot with the wine in a skillet over an open fire. It tasted pretty damn good. But, then again, I was living out of my car, so flip-flops might have tasted good on an open fire. The couple did enjoy it, too, though.

taggermike 06-27-2013 07:51 AM

Looks like a sun day of catching. Well done. Like others said, that doent look like shovel nose. If it has a round nose and a small mouth on thed bottom in might be a thorny back. Did it have a small tail and rows of spines down its back? Chovies are great bait. Big halis will eat them. So will about every other fish in the bay. Bigger sardines, or even macks, will keep the smalle fish off and let you target the bigger halibut. Don't discount the chovies and small dines tho. The biggest hallie I've caught in SD bay wason a little sardine. Mike

janines.fishtales@cox.net 06-27-2013 11:03 AM

Great Bday!

What a great B-day present! Good job!

Janine:reeling:

Cadillyak 06-27-2013 11:10 AM

So I found out that indeed it wansn't a shovelnose nor was it an angel shark. The fish actually was a thornback guitarfish. Interesting