Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Fished today... (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=17402)

RobFish 03-20-2013 02:23 PM

Fished today...

Easy launch and landing.
No wind until about 10, then just a slight breeze.
No squirts made, but had some frozen from home.
Nothing yellow or white caught, but I did catch a nice barber pole.
Gave myself a lollipop. Blueberry if you wanted to know.
Another nice day on the water, fishing with friends.
RobFish

Zfish03 03-20-2013 02:42 PM

Thanks for the report!

Dannowar 03-20-2013 02:56 PM

Right on. Wish I could have gotten out. See you at FH mañana

ful-rac 03-20-2013 03:15 PM

Nice try there rob...that's exactly what we did last weekend too just try...:p...the surf was up this weekend for us how was it for you?? Launching and landing was a bit of a problem if you didn't time it perfect between sets. Matt and greg almost ate it, especially matt!

Deamon 03-20-2013 04:30 PM

Thanks for the update Rob!

Old Man in the Sea 03-20-2013 05:14 PM

it was smaller today building til Friday...then back down

Tony....I am still not sure exactly how Matt survived because he was caught inside parallel to one of the set waves - I had to quit looking over at him and concentrate on back paddling...so glad darkhorse taught me that as it save my arse...:kayak-surfer:

Honcho 03-20-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Man in the Sea (Post 151220)
Tony....I am still not sure exactly how Matt survived because he was caught inside parallel to one of the set waves - I had to quit looking over at him and concentrate on back paddling...so glad darkhorse taught me that as it save my arse...:kayak-surfer:

Now I am curious, how does the back paddling help and at what point do you start back paddling?:confused:

StinkyMatt 03-20-2013 06:55 PM

Right after you say "Oh shit!". You start back paddling. :)

Old Man in the Sea 03-20-2013 07:58 PM

right after you see a wave breaking behind you

you yell "oh Shit" to warn your friends to take immediate evasive action and then start back paddling so you DON'T RIDE the wave, PEARL and FLIP...if the Gangman music starts playing in the background over the La Jolla loud speakers it is too late...:kayak-surfer: Here is a video example of what can happen
http://youtu.be/NYqcHE4WVSs

driftwood 03-20-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StinkyMatt (Post 151235)

Made me laugh belly up!!

Cbad Mike 03-20-2013 09:50 PM

Thanks for the report Rob. It seems like everything everywhere has really slowed. I say its time to take a break and compare notes at Drakes bar.

:cheers1:
Mike

Honcho 03-21-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StinkyMatt (Post 151235)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Man in the Sea (Post 151249)
you yell "oh Shit" to warn your friends to take immediate evasive action and then start back paddling so you DON'T RIDE the wave, PEARL and FLIP...if the Gangman music starts playing in the background over the La Jolla loud speakers it is too late...:kayak-surfer: Here is a video example of what can happen
http://youtu.be/NYqcHE4WVSs

Thats awesome, I've said that, but held on for dear life while landing with my 8 yrs old son....love this sport!:burnout:

dsafety 03-21-2013 06:41 PM

Still waiting for a reverse gear for my Revo. Learned the hard way that this would be a very useful feature.

I saw a guy in a sit-inside kayak who had figured it out. He paddled in close to the surf line, made a 180 turn and then backed in to the beach. I was impressed and tried the same thing.

Guys in the beach apparently did not see the wisdom of this maneuver. I was called everything but a guy with gonads when I hit the beach, (upright and dry). Sometimes it it better to be smart than cool.

Bob

roadx 03-21-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsafety (Post 151349)
Still waiting for a reverse gear for my Revo. Learned the hard way that this would be a very useful feature.

I saw a guy in a sit-inside kayak who had figured it out. He paddled in close to the surf line, made a 180 turn and then backed in to the beach. I was impressed and tried the same thing.

Guys in the beach apparently did not see the wisdom of this maneuver. I was called everything but a guy with gonads when I hit the beach, (upright and dry). Sometimes it it better to be smart than cool.

Bob

turn your drive around and adjust your peddles to one or two if your tall, now ya have reverse :D

GregAndrew 03-21-2013 07:32 PM

Almost shmalmost, just cause I rode out the 4 footer sideways does not mean I had any intention of doing a water taste sample survey.:the_finger: :sifone: