Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Shark fishing (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=25006)

Biggameaddict 03-23-2015 10:45 PM

Shark fishing

Anyone want to go shark fishing this week? It's been on my mind ever since I started kayak fishing but to be honest I'm pretty clueless about it. I know the basics and basic spots you can say but never seen one in person. So now I'm kind of asking for someone to tag along with and we can both get some. I'm free this Wednesday or any other time will be good if not this week. Just let me know. See ya on the water.

easyday 03-23-2015 10:54 PM

I'm free Wednesday, it's a little early to actually be able target threshers.( someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Silbaugh4liberty 03-24-2015 04:50 AM

I met a guy named Tony Rigatoni in Newport last year. Said him and his buddies target thresher, usually starting in July/August. Said one day between 3 of them, they caught 7 of them! They released all and kept one. He's not on here, but look up his name on YouTube.

PapaDave 03-24-2015 09:16 AM

I've seen them earlier than July. I've caught them in November as well. A couple of years ago there was a school of them at DP in May, for two weeks a buddy and me hooked up on 15 in the +/-100lb range. I am assuming the weight, we didn't manage to land them. But they were mighty big when they jumped out of the water 25 feet in front of you.

T-Rex 03-24-2015 11:45 AM

With spots of 64 degree water around, there's a decent chance of hooking one this early in the season. Water temps in mid 60's is ideal.

Zed 03-24-2015 12:03 PM

Ive caught threshers in every month. Follow the baitballs and IMO a little greener water on the slack tides they are the most active.

And some say they immediately follow the broomhandle cuda which never left the kelp around DP.

Biggameaddict 03-24-2015 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty (Post 223021)
I met a guy named Tony Rigatoni in Newport last year. Said him and his buddies target thresher, usually starting in July/August. Said one day between 3 of them, they caught 7 of them! They released all and kept one. He's not on here, but look up his name on YouTube.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaDave (Post 223049)
I've seen them earlier than July. I've caught them in November as well. A couple of years ago there was a school of them at DP in May, for two weeks a buddy and me hooked up on 15 in the +/-100lb range. I am assuming the weight, we didn't manage to land them. But they were mighty big when they jumped out of the water 25 feet in front of you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Rex (Post 223062)
With spots of 64 degree water around, there's a decent chance of hooking one this early in the season. Water temps in mid 60's is ideal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zed (Post 223063)
Ive caught threshers in every month. Follow the baitballs and IMO a little greener water on the slack tides they are the most active.

And some say they immediately follow the broomhandle cuda which never left the kelp around DP.

That seems interesting. Guys I'm really excited about targeting them can you guys help with some tips on how to fish them and where off of Dana point or Malibu or whatever?

Silbaugh4liberty 03-24-2015 12:20 PM

I've never done it, but Tony said they just do a Carolina, drop down a Mac a half way down, and drift around. Once hooked up, I guess the fights average 1-2 hours. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Zed 03-24-2015 12:29 PM

Fish for something else. Youre bound to catch one.
Sabiki plastic kroc iron mega dropper carolina flyline. That works in 60 -100ft.

AquaticHunter 03-24-2015 01:04 PM

Troll a Rapalla CD-14 in Blue near bait fish by watching for birds, surface action or fish finder. If you need to take a break from paddling drop down either a live or dead mackerel. I've even caught them on a Rapalla just dangling in the water as if it was dead. I've caught them in 30-200' of water but most bigger ones seem to be in the deeper water over 100'.

I tie directly onto the lure or hook with no more than 30# mono. I know all the excellent points for bigger line and leaders but I get bit a lot more with the lighter line.

Good Luck!

Biggameaddict 03-24-2015 04:13 PM

Lol sounds fun but where would you look for them around the kelp or just follow baitfish water temps?

TJones 03-24-2015 04:24 PM

What kind of bait should I bring ?

And where do we meet ? I am off duty Thursday and Friday . I am pretty sure I can convince mo to come with .

momo fish 03-24-2015 05:16 PM

Umm, Sharks? Noooo thanks...

My own rule... I don't mess with sharks or any of there cousins and they don't mess with me... 😊

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJones (Post 223097)
And where do we meet ? I am off duty Thursday and Friday . I am pretty sure I can convince mo to come with .

ful-rac 03-24-2015 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momo fish (Post 223135)
Umm, Sharks? Noooo thanks...

My own rule... I don't mess with sharks or any of there cousins and they don't mess with me... ��

You betta listen to you masta Mo! He's never steered you wrong!!

Biggameaddict 03-24-2015 05:58 PM

Wanna leave this shark thing to a later date heading to Cabrillo tomorrow but if anyone's down lemme know!

ful-rac 03-24-2015 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggameaddict (Post 223147)
Wanna leave this shark thing to a later date heading to Cabrillo tomorrow but if anyone's down lemme know!

Classic biggameaddict!!! :luxhello:

Lets go! Lets go! Let's go!!!!

Oh nevermind......

Biggameaddict 03-24-2015 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 223150)
Classic biggameaddict!!! :luxhello:

Lets go! Lets go! Let's go!!!!

Oh nevermind......

Lol

the dude 03-24-2015 06:30 PM

have fun going for a paddle...there not here in big numbers yet.