Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Rock fish opener tomarow!!! (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=9554)

yaknewb 02-28-2011 07:31 PM

Rock fish opener tomarow!!!

So im gona start fishing for rock fish and was wondering what i should use to cacth them i herd people useing frozen squid any other way or is that the best?

dorado50 02-28-2011 07:45 PM

stick your squid on a white leadhead and hang on.............

yellowtailslayer 02-28-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorado50 (Post 77192)
stick your squid on a white leadhead and hang on.............

hahahaha, i second that. or go get those fancy lucanos jigs:linesnap:

Jimmyz123 03-01-2011 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowtailslayer (Post 77195)

I third that. Paddling out of La Jolla we don't chovies scooped in the bait tanks like boats do. Instead of frozen squid I would pick some up the night before, or let it thaw out before you fish it.

jorluivil 03-01-2011 05:57 AM

Quote:

Thirds

bucktail feather jigs.....slap a piece of squid on it and like they said, hold on. You can catch most rock fish by just placing some squid on a hook but the leadheads seem to bring up some of the bigger boys.

mtnbykr2 03-01-2011 06:41 AM

good info on the jig heads/squid, I have also done well with Yamamoto sinko baits with the skirt in the 4" with a jig head, haven't targeted rock fish since late november, ready for that again....:reel:

roby 03-01-2011 07:26 PM

Somebody set up a rock fishing trip already!!

yaknewb 03-01-2011 09:31 PM

I would like to go rock fishing in my yak nvr been in the ocean with one yet tho if any body dosnt mind a newb taging along for safty reasons let me know thanks

mtnbykr2 03-02-2011 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yaknewb (Post 77269)
I would like to go rock fishing in my yak nvr been in the ocean with one yet tho if any body dosnt mind a newb taging along for safty reasons let me know thanks

19TH OR 20TH Refugio?, I don't know I just started to plan it out last night with a few guys....:reel:

old_rookie 03-02-2011 07:17 AM

FRIDAY!!! oh shoot...don't think I can.... I'm sick.....what a drag - already put in the request for the day off too....bummer.

calderonmike 03-02-2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yaknewb (Post 77188)
So im gona start fishing for rock fish and was wondering what i should use to cacth them i herd people useing frozen squid any other way or is that the best?

believe it or not I have used a sabiki rig with chunks of squid and it worked for me. Did most of it at the Coronados and Catalina.

Sdfisherman88 03-02-2011 12:21 PM

How heavy of a bucktail do you have to have to get to the bottom? Do people commonly use just the dropper loop setup?

Also, I've never been to La Jolla, just been fishing the bays so if someone wouldnt mind shooting me a PM when they go out next time so I could tag along that would be awesome. For safety reasons I wouldn't want to fish by myself on the open water and I would also really like to learn from some veterans.

Thanks in advance.

Jimmyz123 03-02-2011 12:59 PM

The Dropper loop works, Halibut rigs work, pretty much anything that is weighted enough to get down to the bottom will work. Some locations I fish are in the 200 foot range. I know you can catch them shallower, but many of the good fish are deep. I will use a 3 to 4oz. torpedo, I have at one time used 8oz but that was because the drift was insanly fast.

Regor 03-02-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sdfisherman88 (Post 77328)
Also, I've never been to La Jolla, just been fishing the bays so if someone wouldnt mind shooting me a PM when they go out next time so I could tag along that would be awesome. For safety reasons I wouldn't want to fish by myself on the open water and I would also really like to learn from some veterans.

As spring approaches and fish start biting, soon you will be able to hit LJ on just about any day, early AM, and there will be some yaks a launching.

I plan to hit the water by 6:30am this Friday. I'll be in the Mello Yellow Revo :)

Greg

TROLLIN4daBIG_ONES 03-04-2011 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roby (Post 77254)
Somebody set up a rock fishing trip already!!

I'de also like to tag along if you guys don't mind.

Jimmyz123 03-04-2011 04:40 AM

Quote:

A friend of mine bought one of those $16 jigs. He was so excited about using it because it says it's not suppose to snag up. First drop to the bottom, SNAG, he had to bust the line and lost $16 on the first drop. They do snag so keep that in mind.

mtnbykr2 03-04-2011 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TROLLIN4daBIG_ONES (Post 77504)
I'de also like to tag along if you guys don't mind.

we will get through the weekend and we then set our sites on Refugio in the next couple weeks:reel:

Jimmyz123 03-04-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yaknewb (Post 77188)

Honestly though I personally like to head out after April 1st because then if you hook a nice Ling you can keep them. I would really like to get a nice couple of lings this year. I'll be happy with some vermillions also.

yaknewb 03-04-2011 11:33 AM

Yea itd be nice to hook into some nice lings to take home.