Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   How to handle boat wakes in harbor? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=11764)

min-va 10-24-2011 01:45 PM

How to handle boat wakes in harbor?

This coming weekend, i will try my kayak fishing in harbor for the first time, but can you guys tell me how to handle all these boat wakes when kayaking the harbor...

When a boat wake coming in front of me, i think should be fine, just keep paddle it over, but what should i do if a boat wake coming from the side? do i have to turn and face it? or just let it hit my yak and keep my balance on as good as i can?

I don't think i will face a very huge swell or crazy vessel boat wake, since i just going to stay in harbor, so i just thinking those boat wakes create by yachts and character boats.

wiredantz 10-24-2011 01:53 PM

Always listen for boat traffic and i always try to face the wave. If the wave is big enought your going to have to learn how to brace.

jorluivil 10-24-2011 01:54 PM

Hold on really reallly realllllly tight.

pchen911 10-24-2011 01:57 PM

Keep your butt loose and keep your shoulders over your kayak and just go with the flow.

A few beers help.

Fiskadoro 10-24-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pchen911 (Post 98717)
Keep your butt loose and keep your shoulders over your kayak and just go with the flow. A few beers help.

Sounds like someone has been paying hard for their kayak fishing lessons. :D

mazilla 10-24-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Day (Post 98718)

ROFL

pchen911 10-24-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Day (Post 98718)

Ummm... not THAT loose!

blitzburgh 10-24-2011 03:13 PM

What bay or harbor? I can tell you that in the Big Bay, depending on the boat traffic, you can get a bad washtub effect going on and some of the smaller vessels create the biggest/worst wake. I face the oncoming wake forward on a slight angle. That's what works for me, on my specific yak. I'm sure the technique can vary based on what you're in.

mtnbykr2 10-24-2011 03:54 PM

Just always be aware of your surroundings and traffic, the washtub effect can get a little knarley sometimes but if you are watching you will be ok, like they said loosen up and roll with it

lowprofile 10-24-2011 04:01 PM

never had a problem in newport and oside is like glass. out in open water though, just stop paddling and roll with the wave. i usually find myself leaning into it a bit as it goes up it. so if it hits the left, just keep your hips loose and lean to the left a bit as it raises to keep your head and shoulders leven then as it goes down repeat to the other side. shouldnt have any problems.

flying bait 10-24-2011 04:36 PM

Why keep your hip loose?

GregAndrew 10-24-2011 05:22 PM

You will learn how to roll with the swells through experience. Part of your ability will rely on the primary and secondary stabilities of your particular yak, and part on your balance. Until then, you will feel more stable by taking them head on.

StinkyMatt 10-24-2011 06:02 PM

Any wake over 6 inches I just evacuate the kayak.

Jump into the ocean and climb back into your yak when the water is flat. It helps if you lower the weight of your yak by throwing away your heaviest rod/ reel combo.

Its called being proactive!

It works for me.:D

jorluivil 10-24-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StinkyMatt (Post 98752)

Jump into the ocean and climb back into your yak when the water is flat. It helps if you lower the weight of your yak by throwing away your heaviest rod/ reel combo.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Amish Ed 10-24-2011 06:27 PM

The Kid nailed it. Just hang your legs over the sides.

mtnbykr2 10-25-2011 06:48 AM

Quote:

and Matt is as "proactive" as they come...ROFLMAO:reel:

WahooUSMA 10-25-2011 07:10 AM

The wakes you see are not the problem. Its the one's that you don't see that turn your trip into a GOAT F*&^.

William Novotny 10-25-2011 08:12 AM

Quote:

You forgot to add squealing and arm flapping. Can't balance without arm flapping.

Handymansd 10-25-2011 08:15 AM

take your yak out and play with it under a peir... you will be a pro soon enough... or if you want to be really good, you could also go out to "Wade's" reefs during a big swell, high tide, during the new moon, pulling on hoops... make you an expert in no time!:cool:

Bennyblanco 10-25-2011 08:36 AM

Best thing that worked for me,was to go out and play In the waves.just you paddle and yak. No gear
Practice entry , ride the waves in,get tossed a few times,feel what is like to get cought sideways.you will get confidence and you will learn how to handle what ever comes your way.all of that while still having fun.:cheers1: