Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Baja Veterans - September Conditions (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=31682)

Denis_Ruso 08-08-2017 08:53 AM

Baja Veterans - September Conditions

So the days are getting nearer to my birthday trip. A few buddies and I will be down in the Gonzaga Bay area between Sept 2 through Sept 9th probably camping out at Papa Fernandez.

Can any of you long time border crossers give me idea of what to expect that time of year?

Species to in the area in early September?
Typical wind conditions for that time of year?

I'll be bringing my scuba gear and my freediving gear If anyone can recommend a good diving location. That part you can PM me.

Thanks as always. :cheers1:

cris 08-08-2017 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso (Post 284031)
So the days are getting nearer to my birthday trip. A few buddies and I will be down in the Gonzaga Bay area between Sept 2 through Sept 9th probably camping out at Papa Fernandez.

Can any of you long time border crossers give me idea of what to expect that time of year?

I'll be bringing my scuba gear and my freediving gear If anyone can recommend a good diving location. That part you can PM me.

Are you taking a compressor or are fills available down there?

Denis_Ruso 08-08-2017 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cris (Post 284032)
Are you taking a compressor or are fills available down there?

No fills available anywhere around which is why the diving is so appealing to me. Explore a few spots.

My plan is to bring 4 full tanks and split them between my dive buddy. Just get 2 dives in and freedive/ kayak fish the rest of the time.

makobob 08-08-2017 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso (Post 284031)

Cabrilla, snapper, pulpo, bass, yelowtail, roosterfish, maybe doado and skipjack tune and jacks. Plus smaller species.

Denis_Ruso 08-08-2017 10:08 AM

Dorado you say?? Now how do find these guys, trolling on the way to the island?

cris 08-08-2017 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso (Post 284033)
No fills available anywhere around which is why the diving is so appealing to me. Explore a few spots.

My plan is to bring 4 full tanks and split them between my dive buddy. Just get 2 dives in and freedive/ kayak fish the rest of the time.

Good to know, thanks.

Baja_Traveler 08-08-2017 11:20 AM

Over on BD I read a report that small dorado were beginning to show in LA Bay right now. By the time you go down they should have worked their way up to the Gonzaga area. Trolling feathers or rapalas will get them, along with most everything else pelagic.

YakHanded 08-08-2017 11:41 AM

It'll be hot as hell

Denis_Ruso 08-08-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakHanded (Post 284046)
It'll be hot as hell

So I hear. Will be bringing an EZ up and tons of water.

Mosquitos? Typical Wind?

Dannowar 08-08-2017 01:12 PM

Leave the tanks at home

YakHanded 08-08-2017 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso (Post 284051)

Mosquitos? Typical Wind?

Last I was there in late August temp didn't drop below 88 even at midnight and we had 1.5 days of 20+kt wind but otherwise was glassy and 107 during the day.

I couldn't speak to regularity or typical anything because that was the only time I've been there during this time of year....Zed caught a 6lb dorado at Willard on that trip though...it ended up being great fishing when we could tolerate it.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...0/IMG_0910.JPG

Hope you guys have a fun trip man

makobob 08-08-2017 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso (Post 284051)

Mosquitos? Typical Wind?

Sept the temps are usually mid to low 80's day and 70 at night, just starting to get nice, no misquitos but there are no seaums in the sand. Why are you not staying at our place? just 8 miles NORTH of Gonzaga? I know $5.00 per week is expensive for water to shower, and better fishin at Gonzaga because of the wind protection. Tight Lines.

Denis_Ruso 08-08-2017 04:53 PM

Thanks YakHanded. Promising. Might be worth making some live bait and trolling on the way to the island.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannowar (Post 284052)
Leave the tanks at home

Please elaborate? I am not a proficient freediver and would love to see some of the deeper areas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by makobob (Post 284061)
Sept the temps are usually mid to low 80's day and 70 at night, just starting to get nice, no misquitos but there are no seaums in the sand. Why are you not staying at our place? just 8 miles NORTH of Gonzaga? I know $5.00 per week is expensive for water to shower, and better fishin at Gonzaga because of the wind protection. Tight Lines.

I remember you mentioning that there will be another group there at your place during those dates. Wasn't sure how big of a group and if it would be too crowded. I am driving down with 4 other people so there is a total of 5 of us.

What is this 5$ shower you speak of? I am intrigued. We were going to try to bring our own portable showers or splurge on a night or two at Alfonsinas if it got too hot or stinky.

Denis_Ruso 08-10-2017 07:40 AM

Bump :reel:

makobob 08-10-2017 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso (Post 284173)
Bump :reel:

You can shower at the restaurant at less than $2.00 per person or if staying in camp I charge the guys $5.00 per week to use the shower and shitter. Water costs $25.00 for 250 gallons so I charge to cover that cost.

Denis_Ruso 08-10-2017 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makobob (Post 284185)
You can shower at the restaurant at less than $2.00 per person or if staying in camp I charge the guys $5.00 per week to use the shower and shitter. Water costs $25.00 for 250 gallons so I charge to cover that cost.

Oh that would be awesome, I'd gladly pay that for the week we would be down there.

We will absolutely keep that as an option. :notworthy: We picked Papa Fenandez tentatively figured we would figure more out once we got there and saw how crowded your place is.

Last time we came we stayed at Robs place so I'm a little unfamiliar on the etiquette of MakoBob's paradise.