Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Can I launch from the beach? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=28733)

Tommy92708 04-08-2016 09:19 PM

Can I launch from the beach?

I usually launch from the "Kid Beach" (in Newport Beach) at the end of E Balboa Blvd but on google map, I saw a potentially quicker launch spot at the end of Channel Road right where West Jetty View Park is. Anyone know if it is allowed to launch a kayak from there?

Fishin' Magician 04-09-2016 05:19 AM

That park is well above the water line and has rock rip rap, not good for a 'beach launch' as there's no beach. AND there's also no restroom, wash down area, etc... So while it's closer to the channel opening, it's only going to save you the few minutes that it would take to go from Baby Beach to the Jetty Park. Not worth it in my opinion.....

Silbaugh4liberty 04-09-2016 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishin' Magician (Post 258124)
That park is well above the water line and has rock rip rap, not good for a 'beach launch' as there's no beach. AND there's also no restroom, wash down area, etc... So while it's closer to the channel opening, it's only going to save you the few minutes that it would take to go from Baby Beach to the Jetty Park. Not worth it in my opinion.....

X2

Doesn't make ANY sense to launch from the Rocks right there, unless you want to punch a hole in your kayak. Just stick to Kid's Beach or the CGS. You're only saving about 2 minutes in paddling, but will probably take an extra 20 minutes to get your kayak down into the water, if you can do so without slipping and cracking your noggin on the rocks. It just doesn't make any sense.

Harry Hill 04-09-2016 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty (Post 258135)
X2

Doesn't make ANY sense to launch from the Rocks right there, unless you want to punch a hole in your kayak. Just stick to Kid's Beach or the CGS. You're only saving about 2 minutes in paddling, but will probably take an extra 20 minutes to get your kayak down into the water, if you can do so without slipping and cracking your noggin on the rocks. It just doesn't make any sense.

We launch from the coast guard station, it's not that far to the mouth of the bay from there.

JohnnyC 04-09-2016 09:11 AM

Kids beach is not ideal because it has that wall the runs across the entire beach, with steps to go down in order to launch. If you returned to that spot during incoming tide, you'll be in for a big surprise.

I think you can also launch from the small pier that's there. But it seems crowded at times.

There's a nice launch / return spot just to the north of kids beach. No wash station or restrooms but my favorite launch site.

Silbaugh4liberty 04-09-2016 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Hill (Post 258139)
We launch from the coast guard station, it's not that far to the mouth of the bay from there.

I prefer CGS too! I do kids beach sometimes, but if I'm solo it's kind of a pain to bring my yak down and up that wall. Plus the CGS has CLEAN restrooms, and hoses to wash down our stuff. The only problem is can't park before 6am, and limited spaces.

Matter of a fact, I'm probably going to go there tomorrow morning for a simple morning fish if anyone is down. Maybe head out for some reds, and finish up in the harbor for some flatties. Anyone down? Bait barge is back!! :cheers1:

Harry Hill 04-09-2016 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty (Post 258174)
I prefer CGS too! I do kids beach sometimes, but if I'm solo it's kind of a pain to bring my yak down and up that wall. Plus the CGS has CLEAN restrooms, and hoses to wash down our stuff. The only problem is can't park before 6am, and limited spaces.

Matter of a fact, I'm probably going to go there tomorrow morning for a simple morning fish if anyone is down. Maybe head out for some reds, and finish up in the harbor for some flatties. Anyone down? Bait barge is back!! :cheers1:

Wish I could join you, I need someone who will take me under their wing and teach me some flattie basics

Yellfever11 04-10-2016 09:21 PM

Do u have a map of this area north of kids beach? The wall at kids beach can be a challenge especially trying to launch a PA14.