Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   2.5 day to SCI on the Islander (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=18558)

Sin Coast 06-20-2013 05:23 PM

2.5 day to SCI on the Islander

I was lucky enough to go on a 2.5 day trip to San Clemente Island on the Islander. It was on June 7-10 with the NCKA crew for their annual Islander trip.
The weather was incredible. The crew was outstanding. And I had a lot of fun! We fished the front side on Saturday then fished the back side on Sunday. The skipper, Jason, said it was the first time in 5yrs that they took kayakers to the weather side. Like I said, it was FAC.
There were some fat halibut, a nice wsb, and tons of calicos, sheeps, whitefish, etc. It was my first time yakfishing in SoCal and definitely a different ballgame. The techniques & tackle is different, but also the culture is different too. thought I was in heaven when I saw all those sweet yachts docked in Fishermans Landing. Fishing in shorts & flipflops was plush too, for sure. I can't wait to get back down there again soon.

On Saturday evening I was trolling a huge Rapala as I paddled back to the boat. Almost back to the boat (and kinda exhausted), I hooked up in about 100FOW. it towed me over 2 miles in about 1.5 hours...out past 1000FOW. As it got dark we had to call out the skiff, then I climbed in and foght it from there. The fish was tail-hooked with the trebles solidly embedded near the tip of its tail...and never jumped. So we didn't know what it was til we got color = thresher!
She measured out to 8ft 9in and approx 130lbs.
The stupid look on my face is me trying to lift that sucker haha!

Thank you to the crew and especially Jason! I had a great time and I'm stoked to do another trip soon!

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/q...psdfc4131f.jpg

h2ofishfo 06-20-2013 06:43 PM

WTG !!!! Good eats baby killer let it go and catch and release . Sorry I had to say it before some douche says it now they can't give u crap ha

Socalrobt 06-21-2013 06:36 AM

Nice fish. Sounds like it was a blast Congrats! Teh Islander is the best there is!

mtnbykr2 06-21-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Socalrobt (Post 160763)
Nice fish. Sounds like it was a blast Congrats! Teh Islander is the best there is!

:iagree:Shane and the crew of the Islander the best....

Sully1 06-21-2013 09:10 AM

Thesher's are amazing fish. Watching them unleash on unsuspecting bait fish is quite the sight. Excellent tablefare too! Enjoy! :D

Sin Coast 06-21-2013 08:35 PM

Haha no worries H2ofishfo! I'm familiar with the C&R theory on threshers. And totally agree with releasing the pups. But this one was pretty damn big and fed about 15 guys :-) And made for one hell of a fish story too.
One last glory shot.
Also forgot to mention I got it on a 6'9" Shimano Teramar rod & Abu Revo Toro reel w/50lb PowerPro.

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps32cb22a4.jpg

bellcon 06-21-2013 08:48 PM

Nice one read the report on the NorCal board.
Good stuff:cheers1:

Mahigeer 06-22-2013 10:11 PM

Nice going and welcome to So.Cal.

Nice fishing.

JeffB 06-23-2013 09:16 AM

I bet you got some nice steaks off of that sucker.

PAL 06-23-2013 05:42 PM

Absolutely awesome fish on the Toro. I heard about this from the Allens. The Islander generates great fish stories.

Baitman 06-25-2013 05:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It was hilarious watching Sin Coast get towed. Looked like he was halfway to Catalina Island as the night crept in.
There were a lot of really great fishermen onboard this trip. I learned a lot from these guys. Calico's were the mainstay, couldn't keep em off the hook, no matter what we dropped.
I was using a Big Hammer in about 25' OW. I think I had a halibut on,, but it charged straight into the kelp and snagged, right about then my other rod (which had a live squid on ) went bendo pulling me away from the kelp. That snapped the line on the first hit,,, I got a nice lil sleigh ride, only to come up with a ray....:confused:
The Islander crew was great. I couldn't belive the yak side service they provided... Snacks, Beer, Live Bait !!! It don't get any better than that.;)
Pat, you still owe me a shark steak :toetap05:

fishsouthcounty 06-29-2013 02:52 PM

Epic on that rod reel combo. Congratulations man.

I'm going to be coming up to Monterey the 10th-14th. Bringing the yak with me. Probably fish friday and saturday possibly at stillwater. Come out and join me if you can. Anyone on here in the MB area is welcome and encouraged to join. The more the safer right?

Baitman 06-30-2013 04:11 PM

Stillwater is good for lings / rockfish, but your timing couldn't be better for salmon that recently have been showing up close in to monterey. Mooching has been delivering the best results.
Halibut finally starting to make a show there too !

:reeling: I'm in.

captnblood34 06-30-2013 07:34 PM

Better angle on the 2nd pic, congrats on the catch!

h2ofishfo 06-19-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sin Coast (Post 160836)
Haha no worries H2ofishfo! I'm familiar with the C&R theory on threshers. And totally agree with releasing the pups. But this one was pretty damn big and fed about 15 guys :-) And made for one hell of a fish story too.
One last glory shot.
Also forgot to mention I got it on a 6'9" Shimano Teramar rod & Abu Revo Toro reel w/50lb PowerPro.

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps32cb22a4.jpg

what a feat bro revo !!!! Hope u changed those drag washers out after that I've caught tuna Abu Garcia 3100??? Old school had to throw them in the trash spool and everything was smoked

DennisMorgan 06-19-2014 08:08 PM

beautiful fish! I should have gone this year, I have to stop waiting......you nailed it!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bert Vega 06-20-2014 01:02 PM

Love Thresher Shark Steaks!!!!!!! YUMMY

Congrats that's a big fish to land on the a kayak