Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Putting the pieces together (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=31470)

TJones 07-07-2017 05:03 AM

Putting the pieces together
 
2 Attachment(s)
Long time coming. Catching one of these fish on a squid bite is one thing, and trying to fool one of theses fish with live bait is a whole different animal . No tape shot and no on the water photo (sadly). Just some lame driveway photos and some primo fillets. Who could argue that the sweet taste of this fish might be the best the West Coast has to offer? 42 lb on the bathroom scale. Probably tied with my personal best. Caught with live bait on edge of kelp. Needless to say that's where he ran. Drag set lightly, just enough to get a good hook set but not enough to slow the train down, which led to him to him taking more line than I would like. I had another line in water and partially got crossed up but was fortunate to get it cleared without any problem. When I got the line cleared and got on top of the fish I felt pretty good but within minutes there was that sinking feeling when I felt all that resistance from the thickest section of the weeds. I was not gonna loose this fish. All of a sudden the fish try's to take a squirt and I quickly started to grind on him and turn his head. It was over. He came through that last 15 feet of kelp without hesitation. Catching this fish on fin bait feels like a giant milestone for me because it's like linking all the pieces of a good kayak angler. I've been fortunate to have caught 4 yellowtail this year ( all around 25 lb ) and now this sea bass. I've put time on the water to achieve my goal and I hope everybody has a great summer and does not give up up on their goals. I know that discouraging feeling of what it's like to go the first couple of years in this sport without having a fish under your belt. Don't give up. Tight lines everyone. Ohh, if you are fortunate enough to have landed one of this fish, never stick your hand in his gill rakers.

FISH11 07-07-2017 05:44 AM

Congrats, really nice WSB.

goldenglory18 07-07-2017 05:46 AM

Awesome catch, congrats!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJones (Post 282381)
...All of a sudden the fish try's to take a squirt and I quickly started to grind on him....

:leaving:

NICKWORN 07-07-2017 05:51 AM

Congrats
 
Been sucking on this succulent meat the past couple days. Little salt n pepper quick pan fried with grape seed oil is all you need! Man it delicious!!

iethinker 07-07-2017 06:00 AM

Nice.....Congratulations!
 
I hope to be in a position to take your advice regarding their gill rakers!

MrPukaShell 07-07-2017 06:48 AM

Congrats

Denis_Ruso 07-07-2017 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJones (Post 282381)
Ohh, if you are fortunate enough to have landed one of this fish, never stick your hand in his gill rakers.


WSB 101

taggermike 07-07-2017 07:38 AM

Congrats. And enjoy those fillets for sure. Having white meat and a tiny heart, WSB can't slug it out like yellows do. But that first screaming run is amazing. Hope this one is the first of many for you. Mike.

blitzburgh 07-07-2017 07:51 AM

F-N-A man!!! Congrats! :cheers1:

Sully1 07-07-2017 09:05 AM

You need a bigger cooler. :cool:

Deamon 07-07-2017 09:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not the kind of guy to call out "Bull Shit"...well, yes I am! Bull shit that I can't catch one!:the_finger: And bull shit of the no tape shot because...well, just because...compare pic of your hand with pic of your cooler...nuff said. HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Congrats! Jim :the_finger:

bolocop 07-07-2017 10:48 AM

Oh man...
 
It seems the planets are aligning (literally). Heavy hitters going out tonight...

Wow, LJ could look like July 4 at night tonight with this WSB bite.

TJones 07-07-2017 12:37 PM

Probably got a dozen under his belt this year
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deamon (Post 282405)
I'm not the kind of guy to call out "Bull Shit"...well, yes I am! Bull shit that I can't catch one!:the_finger: And bull shit of the no tape shot because...well, just because...compare pic of your hand with pic of your cooler...nuff said. HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Congrats! Jim :the_finger:

:D.

chris138 07-07-2017 02:05 PM

Cbass hands... the sign of a true donkey roper.

TJones 07-07-2017 02:42 PM

My cheap
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris138 (Post 282429)
Cbass hands... the sign of a true donkey roper.

Imported fishing knife snapped at handle which revealed rusting from within. This happened a couple weeks back while gutting a yellow out at sea. I kept putting off getting a replacement. When the croaker came on board my only thought was subduing him quickly, so I did what any experienced kayaker would do. Reach him and tore his rakers out with hands. Was trying to reach heart while inside so I could load up on protein. :sifone:. No pain, no gain.

h2ofishfo 07-08-2017 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJones (Post 282431)
Imported fishing knife snapped at handle which revealed rusting from within. This happened a couple weeks back while gutting a yellow out at sea. I kept putting off getting a replacement. When the croaker came on board my only thought was subduing him quickly, so I did what any experienced kayaker would do. Reach him and tore his rakers out with hands. Was trying to reach heart while inside so I could load up on protein. :sifone:. No pain, no gain.

dude Sea bass tear your hand up like no other and it's last weeks 😬

TJones 07-08-2017 02:56 PM

Forgive me
 
5 Attachment(s)
Got to do it.
Garage photos. Got to love it.

TJones 07-08-2017 03:03 PM

You would think I would have learned
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by h2ofishfo (Post 282474)
dude Sea bass tear your hand up like no other and it's last weeks 😬

From the last time, but it's been 2 years since I caught one.

h2ofishfo 07-08-2017 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJones (Post 282482)
From the last time, but it's been 2 years since I caught one.

And still haven't learned in the moment who does 😂

JohnMckroidJr 07-09-2017 05:58 AM

Congratulations!:wsb:, yum yum looks like you know how to make the most of the fillets.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2002 Big Water's Edge. All rights reserved.